Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 83
  1. #61
    Major gotthammer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lost in the Uncharted Territories
    Posts
    2,076

    Default Re: "The Witcher" franchise discussion/appreciation thread

    So CDPR just announced their next game:
    original.jpg

    Cyberpunk, based on the pen-and-paper RPG of the same name from R. Talsorian.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk_2020

    Yup. I'm real happy about that. It's nice to see more cyberpunk stuff coming out (what w/ Shadowrun Returns' kickstarter succeeding and Shadowrun Online coming soon).

    Also, one can now redeem a 'digital backup' of the first Witcher game on gog.com (the digital backup was initially just for The Witcher 2).

    http://www.gog.com/en/witcher2/backup/

    The just-concluded CDPR Summer Conference thingy also announced some other stuff for gog.com (some games/discounts/etc. The Witcher 2 is 40% Off, for example)
    http://www.gog.com/

    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43546&dateline=1312852922

  2. #62
    Major gotthammer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lost in the Uncharted Territories
    Posts
    2,076

    Default Re: "The Witcher" franchise discussion/appreciation thread



    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43546&dateline=1312852922

  3. #63
    Major Supreme Commander Sil's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    2,686

    Default Re: "The Witcher" franchise discussion/appreciation thread

    I'm really annoyed. I loved Witcher 2, but my lappy died before I could get too far into it. Then when I replaced the harddrive... My laptop can't run it or Gothic 4 properly... It's laggy. I'm changing drivers in the hope that will fix it.

    I really want to read the books, but I'm sort of concerned about content. In the games you can avoid certain card games.... but is that in the books? I won't read/watch anything involving it and I'd rather keep my respect for the franchise .

    Can't wait for Shadowrun Online and if CDProjectRed is making a cyberpunk game, that is so awesome !

    I can somehow play Dark Souls yet not run Witcher 2 or Arcania... so weird. Witcher 1 works fin though... Even Blacklight Retribution (though my internet's too slow for it).

    All else fails I'll uninstall AVG because I suspect it's slowed down my system even though I've limited its scans... Just the fact that it's there....

    When I first played Witcher 2 I was on the hardest difficulty and kept getting stuck because I used to be horrible at quick gaming responses on PC. I have honed my skills for this moment... And bought Razer equipment. If all else fails I have a game pad (need it for Dark Souls)...

  4. #64
    Major gotthammer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lost in the Uncharted Territories
    Posts
    2,076

    Default Re: "The Witcher" franchise discussion/appreciation thread

    Ouch. Sorry to hear about your laptop issues. I was helping someone try to troubleshoot laptop problems recently (I'm no tech, only a gamer gaming since the 80s, so some people assume that I "know computers" ), but still had to have it sent to a shop (GPU replacement).

    re: the books
    I've only read the first two that were translated into English: "The Last Wish" and "Blood of Elves". Both occur, I think, before the first Witcher game.
    What card games? I don't recall any card game in the books.

    re: AVG
    I stopped using it a couple (or more) years ago when (was still using WinXP, now Win7) there were conflicts with some programs like some games, I think.
    I switched to Avast! and, as far as I can remember, it hasn't given me any problems.

    re: Cyberpunk genre
    Yup. It's a good time to be a fan of the genre, or stuff/themes close to it.
    This year will have two Shadowrun games: SR:Returns and SROnline.
    There's also Capcom's "Remember Me", Ubisoft's "Watch_Dogs", and the successful Kickstarter project, "Republique"...and maybe something else that I've forgotten.
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43546&dateline=1312852922

  5. #65
    Major gotthammer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lost in the Uncharted Territories
    Posts
    2,076

    Default Re: "The Witcher" franchise discussion/appreciation thread

    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43546&dateline=1312852922

  6. #66
    Major Supreme Commander Sil's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    2,686

    Default Re: "The Witcher" franchise discussion/appreciation thread

    Quote Originally Posted by gotthammer View Post
    Ouch. Sorry to hear about your laptop issues. I was helping someone try to troubleshoot laptop problems recently (I'm no tech, only a gamer gaming since the 80s, so some people assume that I "know computers" ), but still had to have it sent to a shop (GPU replacement).

    re: the books
    I've only read the first two that were translated into English: "The Last Wish" and "Blood of Elves". Both occur, I think, before the first Witcher game.
    What card games? I don't recall any card game in the books.

    re: AVG
    I stopped using it a couple (or more) years ago when (was still using WinXP, now Win7) there were conflicts with some programs like some games, I think.
    I switched to Avast! and, as far as I can remember, it hasn't given me any problems.

    re: Cyberpunk genre
    Yup. It's a good time to be a fan of the genre, or stuff/themes close to it.
    This year will have two Shadowrun games: SR:Returns and SROnline.
    There's also Capcom's "Remember Me", Ubisoft's "Watch_Dogs", and the successful Kickstarter project, "Republique"...and maybe something else that I've forgotten.
    In the game. It was an attempt at a euphemism .

    Yeah, I've been gaming since I was born ('93) and I know a little about computers. I've assembled some old ones before and replaced capacitors etc too. That having been said, modern things are a mystery to me . Anyway, the hard drive was totally fried ... Oh, well...

    I've heard that Avast! can have some of the same speed issues.

    That's awesome! Just wish my suitably awesome aggrotech/EBM/industrial was avaliable in stores here. Things like this fit in well with a Shadowrun campaign, I find .
    Spoiler:


    Might try running a Witcher tabletop RPG at some point....

  7. #67
    Major gotthammer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lost in the Uncharted Territories
    Posts
    2,076

    Default Re: "The Witcher" franchise discussion/appreciation thread

    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43546&dateline=1312852922

  8. #68
    Major gotthammer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lost in the Uncharted Territories
    Posts
    2,076
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43546&dateline=1312852922

  9. #69
    Major gotthammer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lost in the Uncharted Territories
    Posts
    2,076

    Default Re: "The Witcher" franchise discussion/appreciation thread



    edit:
    Both games are currently 50% off:
    On gog.com (where they're DRM free)
    http://www.gog.com/promo/tw_announcement_promo

    and on Steam:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/20920/
    (if you buy it on Steam, I think you can still register the codes at gog.com to get a DRM free "backup" via this page: http://www.gog.com/witcher2/backup )

    Also, the 360 version apparently got a permanent price reduction, too.

    ...and, nice, no more QTEs.
    Last edited by gotthammer; February 5th, 2013 at 11:20 AM.
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43546&dateline=1312852922

  10. #70
    Major gotthammer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lost in the Uncharted Territories
    Posts
    2,076

    Default Re: "The Witcher" franchise discussion/appreciation thread

    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43546&dateline=1312852922

  11. #71
    Major gotthammer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lost in the Uncharted Territories
    Posts
    2,076

    Default Re: "The Witcher" franchise discussion/appreciation thread

    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43546&dateline=1312852922

  12. #72
    Major gotthammer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lost in the Uncharted Territories
    Posts
    2,076

    Default Re: "The Witcher" franchise discussion/appreciation thread



    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43546&dateline=1312852922

  13. #73
    Lieutenant Colonel Platschu's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2005
    Location
    King's Lynn, UK
    Posts
    4,774

    Default Re: "The Witcher" franchise discussion/appreciation thread

    They started to shoot "The Witcher" in Hungary with Henry Cavill. He shared a little video how peaceful he feels himself in our country :

    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo6MM7aF...eo_watch_again
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

    "Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

    "Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."


    http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

  14. #74
    Captain Angela V's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Gating around the Universe
    Posts
    1,705

    Default Re: "The Witcher" franchise discussion/appreciation thread

    Oddly enough I fell into the Witcher universe only this year. Where has this gaming series been all my life??? Hiding under monsters? I'm almost done Witcher 1 and have the next two games ready to go. Really excited about the series.
    Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

  15. #75
    Lieutenant General DigiFluid's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    19,125

    Default Re: "The Witcher" franchise discussion/appreciation thread

    Trailer for the Netflix TV adaptation of The Witcher released at Comic Con today:

    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

  16. #76
    Lieutenant Colonel Platschu's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2005
    Location
    King's Lynn, UK
    Posts
    4,774

    Default Re: "The Witcher" franchise discussion/appreciation thread

    It looks really good especially as most of it was shot in Hungary.

  17. #77
    Lieutenant General DigiFluid's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    19,125

    Default Re: "The Witcher" franchise discussion/appreciation thread


    Netflix released season 1 the other day, anyone else watching? I've had this on for most of today, just started episode 6. It's....a bit all over the map.

    Spoiler:
    Episode 1 was kind of an uninspired pilot episode. I wasn't sure whether I'd continue when I finished, but decided to continue anyway because you could tell there was promise.

    Episode 2 was fantastic, exactly what I was hoping for from this show.

    Episode 3 was okay, a bit monster-of-the-week but then with an absolutely stellar last 10 minutes or so.

    Episode 4 was a mess. It was like they inexplicably suddenly decided they wanted to do a Westworld 'aren't we clever we were doing multiple timelines!' thing, it was confusing as hell and it felt extremely unearned.

    Episode 5 felt like it could've been the season finale, but there are still three episodes to go.


    Still there's a lot of potential here, and the production values are quite good. At this point, I feel like I would definitely come back for a second season. At the very least, Henry Cavill and Anya Chalotra are excellent in this.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

  18. #78
    Colonel P-90_177's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Traveling through Time and Space
    Posts
    7,197

    Default Re: "The Witcher" franchise discussion/appreciation thread

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post

    Netflix released season 1 the other day, anyone else watching? I've had this on for most of today, just started episode 6. It's....a bit all over the map.

    Spoiler:
    Episode 1 was kind of an uninspired pilot episode. I wasn't sure whether I'd continue when I finished, but decided to continue anyway because you could tell there was promise.

    Episode 2 was fantastic, exactly what I was hoping for from this show.

    Episode 3 was okay, a bit monster-of-the-week but then with an absolutely stellar last 10 minutes or so.

    Episode 4 was a mess. It was like they inexplicably suddenly decided they wanted to do a Westworld 'aren't we clever we were doing multiple timelines!' thing, it was confusing as hell and it felt extremely unearned.

    Episode 5 felt like it could've been the season finale, but there are still three episodes to go.


    Still there's a lot of potential here, and the production values are quite good. At this point, I feel like I would definitely come back for a second season. At the very least, Henry Cavill and Anya Chalotra are excellent in this.
    Loving it so far. Have one episode to go. Episode 7 is when all the timelines converge and it’ll likely make a lot more sense. But all in all this feels to me like Discovery season 1. It’s far more about the origins of the characters than actually telling the story.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

  19. #79
    Lieutenant General DigiFluid's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    19,125

    Default Re: "The Witcher" franchise discussion/appreciation thread

    Yeah I finished it a bit later yesterday. I still think that whoever structured the season arc needs to go back to scriptwriting school, because good god.

    But I still enjoyed it, and will be back for season 2.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

  20. #80
    Colonel P-90_177's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Traveling through Time and Space
    Posts
    7,197

    Default Re: "The Witcher" franchise discussion/appreciation thread

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Yeah I finished it a bit later yesterday. I still think that whoever structured the season arc needs to go back to scriptwriting school, because good god.

    But I still enjoyed it, and will be back for season 2.
    I actually really enjoyed the structure. It may have been not obvious right away that they were different timelines but I liked that. Like I didn't realise that was what they were doing in the first episode. But I liked it as an ah-ha moment later. That being said I do think it is a issue that could have been solved with a little bit if stylistic editing to give a bit more of a nod when you were in the past.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Similar Threads

  1. "Deus Ex" franchise discussion/appreciation thread
    By DigiFluid in forum Sci-Fi & Fantasy Television
    Replies: 363
    Last Post: February 24th, 2015, 10:55 PM
  2. "The Elder Scrolls" franchise discussion/appreciation thread
    By The Mighty 6 platoon in forum Sci-Fi & Fantasy Television
    Replies: 317
    Last Post: May 22nd, 2014, 02:47 PM
  3. "Dragon Age" franchise discussion/appreciation thread
    By DigiFluid in forum Sci-Fi & Fantasy Television
    Replies: 467
    Last Post: April 16th, 2012, 11:37 PM
  4. "Total War" videogame franchise discussion thread
    By DigiFluid in forum Sci-Fi & Fantasy Television
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: February 25th, 2011, 12:00 PM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: June 28th, 2005, 01:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •