The Stargate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Stargate

Wow these are some weak stargates it was shot once. We've seen the Milkyway and Pegasus gates withstand Volcanoes, suns, McKay, being shot, being blown up. etc.

And they take these gates out in one shot, I think the ancients might be buying some fake knock-offs. Seriously are these gates even made of the same material. Maybe sub-par material is why they don't work long distances.
    Last edited by actuallyliam; 19 April 2011, 07:18 AM.

Considering how many of those things they'd have to have produced to seed the universe, it would make sense that they would make them with a lesser material. (remember the scene in the seed ship where we see a bunch of them?)
    Even if they only put a dozen or so in each galaxy along a cosmically straight line through the Universe, that would still be several times more gates than just seeding a whole galaxy.

I believe the MW and Pegasus gates were to to have a naquadah composition, which is what makes them so absurdly robust, nigh indestructible, and great superconductors.
    It seems the Universe gates don't have that naquadah composition; the lesser superconductivity explains their shorter range, as you said.

Comment

Plastic stargates.
      Above all, the problem is that there's no guarantee that the ships would have enough naqahdah on board. We don't even know where it really comes from, and perhaps the seed ships stop at some asteroid belts and other planets and grab some metals there, which will make their stargates inferior to those built out of naqahdah and perhaps SF "neutronium".
      The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by actuallyliam View Post
        Wow these are some weak stargates it was shot once. We've seen the Milkyway and Pegasus gates withstand Volcanoes, suns, McKay, being shot, being blown up. etc..
        You answered your own question here. The Milky Way and Pegasus gates can survive all those things, but the gates in the Destiny network are prototypes; far older than both the Milky Way and Pegasus networks. It makes sense for them to be made out of a weaker material. Plus the Ancients may not have discovered/manufactured naquada by the time the seed ships were launched.

Comment

The drones weapons also seem to be incredibly powerful focussed energy weapons. They wouldn't blow vast craters in the ground with every hit but their power is focussed in short bursts. The destiny's shields can withstand the pressures, magnetic fields, heat etc. of a star, yet prolonged fire from drones will cause the shields to fail. I don't find it that odd that the direct hit of the drone broke the gate ( which looked pretty cool and it was shocking to see a gate being broken after 17 seasons of stargate ).

Add to this that the seedships will have to use whatever material they can find. Naquadah ( if the Ancients already knew it existed ) would probably be the material seedships prefer to use to make gates, but I can imagine they'd settle for less. After all, how often would you expect people to shoot at a gate with energyweapons that can pierce the hull of a ship with ease ( like the poor Ursini ships, poor buggers.. ). It's like firing anti-tank weaponry at a bike. It doesn't happen that often, no need to put armoured plating on

Comment

Seeing the gate broken is pretty metaphorical, isn't it? Since we just got the news that the Stargate franchise is, for now, dead

Comment

Originally posted by The Destiny View Post
              The drones weapons also seem to be incredibly powerful focussed energy weapons. They wouldn't blow vast craters in the ground with every hit but their power is focussed in short bursts. The destiny's shields can withstand the pressures, magnetic fields, heat etc. of a star, yet prolonged fire from drones will cause the shields to fail. I don't find it that odd that the direct hit of the drone broke the gate ( which looked pretty cool and it was shocking to see a gate being broken after 17 seasons of stargate ).

Add to this that the seedships will have to use whatever material they can find. Naquadah ( if the Ancients already knew it existed ) would probably be the material seedships prefer to use to make gates, but I can imagine they'd settle for less. After all, how often would you expect people to shoot at a gate with energyweapons that can pierce the hull of a ship with ease ( like the poor Ursini ships, poor buggers.. ). It's like firing anti-tank weaponry at a bike. It doesn't happen that often, no need to put armoured plating on

I definitely wouldn't say that the drones' energy weapons are any better than any other we've seen. In fact, I'd say that they're much weaker, given several factors:
              The drones are tiny
              It takes a huge number of those drones to do real damage to Destiny.
              Destiny is the oldest Ancient ship, in fact, the only non-Lantean ship we've ever seen. Star-diving not withstanding, it would presumably have the weakest shields and physical integrity.

Also, don't forget the point they've made a few times about stargates exploding. If the universe gates weren't made of a much weaker, less volatile material, the one that got shot would have ****in' exploded if it got hit by a blast powerful enough to do what it did, not just take out a chunk of it.

Originally posted by Mr Evil 37 View Post
              Seeing the gate broken is pretty metaphorical, isn't it? Since we just got the news that the Stargate franchise is, for now, dead
              It's not dead, it's just on an indefinite leave of absence.

Comment

Obviously they are not entirely made out of Naquadah. Just a little part on its pedestal that generates the wormhole is actually Naquadah or another variant of superconductor. And for the first time it is good to visualize the inner parts of a Stargate.
                sigpic
                - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Originally posted by Flibby View Post
                  I definitely wouldn't say that the drones' energy weapons are any better than any other we've seen. In fact, I'd say that they're much weaker, given several factors:
                  The drones are tiny
                  It takes a huge number of those drones to do real damage to Destiny.
                  Destiny is the oldest Ancient ship, in fact, the only non-Lantean ship we've ever seen. Star-diving not withstanding, it would presumably have the weakest shields and physical integrity.
                  Size isn't everything The daedalus class ships are very small too compared to Hive-ships and Ori ships, but they still take them down.

Would you imagine Wraith darts or Goa'uld death gliders would take down Destiny's shields with lesser numbers? The weapons on the drones seem pretty powerful. It took them 1 pass to turn the Ursini ships into scrap metal and only a few moments to destroy the seedship. It took only half of the drones that attacked destiny in Resurgence/Deliverance to destroy 2 out of 3 of the blue aliens' ships, ships against which destiny struggled on their encounter. Destiny's main weapon didn't seem to be doing a lot. The drones blew those ships apart within minutes.

Diving into a star would require immensely strong shields or it'd be squashed by the forces of the star, or torn apart by solar winds etc. It's not like it's a "factor million sunscreen" shield that protects against stars but nothing else and I can't imagine more modern ships like ancient or asgard ships to dive into a star or swoop across it without their shields collapsing. The Daedalus struggled in Daedalus variations on a distance of a million miles, however those shields were really weakened. However in "Echoes" in SGA season 3 they had a ZPM and only blocked the mass ejection ( instead of the star compressing on them from all sides ) but barely made it as the hull integrity was compromised and the shield was close to collapsing. From this I can assume the destiny's shields are at least as strong as the asgard shields, yet the drones manage to make the shields collapse very fast.

Comment

When you build a gate with the sole purpose of one day dismantling it and replacing it with a more durable model, you don't make it out of the toughest stuff in the universe.
                    sigpic
                    ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

For anyone that wants a reminder.

Comment

I'm willing to buy it since these are supposedly the earliest gates, but it was a hard pill to swallow, especially since these gates are so old and if they were that fragile, would they even still be there. But w/e I'll look the other way.

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
                          I'm willing to buy it since these are supposedly the earliest gates, but it was a hard pill to swallow, especially since these gates are so old and if they were that fragile, would they even still be there. But w/e I'll look the other way.
                          Not fragile as in old; fragile because they are prototypes and not built to with stand the kind of stuff the later gates are.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Evil 37 View Post
                            Not fragile as in old; fragile because they are prototypes and not built to with stand the kind of stuff the later gates are.
                            My point was that if they were that easy to take out would they have lasted for the thousands of years or however far ahead the seed ships are. If that little hit would take it out than any number of things should have destroyed most of these gates in the thousands of years they've been there.

Perfecto!

Comment

a gate can absorb insane weaponsfire. but those were MW gates. PG gates seem less durable. Universe gate even less than that. given that the gates have the purpose of exploration, there's no need for high-quality super gates

Comment

Working...
                              X