Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Genetic Diversity

Consider this. Every continent on Earth has similar ancient story about human ancestors coming from people on a ship after the big flood. When is that? Presumably, it was between 4 to 6 thousand years ago. Now the human population was around 7 billions. How many people on that ship survived after the big flood? Probably less than a dozen. Even the animals they brought over was just a couple of each.

For a 2000 year to reach a few millions is very possible. With language and knowledge that already developed, it will not very hard to reach millions. It's not something you could controlled once a civilization started to replicates, Lol! We're a replicator too...

Each one of those children would have to be paired up with someone in an "arranged marriage" in order to keep maximum diversity and avoid the same families crossbreeding more then needed.
    no.

there is no need for forced breeding. even with incest, people tend to fall in love with those who have the most different genes. a friend of mine studies medicine and he told me.

Lieutenant Colonel

As long as the society had rules to keep blood relatives (closer than uncles/aunts/2nd cousins/etc) from pairing it would be fine. I'm afraid after 2000 years any trace of race would be gone though. From a practical standpoint they'd want to encourage those couples with healthy (good eyesight and stuff like that) children to start pumping out kids.

Chief Master Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Trinary View Post
    Consider this. Every continent on Earth has similar ancient story about human ancestors coming from people on a ship after the big flood.
    False.

Chief Master Sergeant

I've watched every episode of SGU and some more than once. From what I remember of this season (the post LA invasion), looking at the 17 episodes, and then remembering how many different people there are - minus the loss of those few LA (leaving a few onboard)... I get that there would be damn few people in the founding population.

How many fertile females are there? I don't think it even adds up to 30. And many of them are not especially young.

It's not genetic diversity that is a problem, but the lack of bodies to do work.

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by senilegreen View Post
    I've watched every episode of SGU and some more than once. From what I remember of this season (the post LA invasion), looking at the 17 episodes, and then remembering how many different people there are - minus the loss of those few LA (leaving a few onboard)... I get that there would be damn few people in the founding population.

How many fertile females are there? I don't think it even adds up to 30. And many of them are not especially young.

It's not genetic diversity that is a problem, but the lack of bodies to do work.
    If the first wave of women pump out 10 kids per with several men it wouldn't be an issue. Star Trek did a show on this very topic. Ironically enough on the startrek episode, an extended liberty would have injected (quite literally) a whole lot of Enterprise genetic material into the cloner gene pool.

I don't think genes would be a problem, its not like anyone on the Destiny is currently related so no interbreeding from the start. Plus 80+ seems like enough, surly all these remote tribes and island populations have similar size groups? Also is it not true that most Europeans share a common ancestor anyways? Formed from a small group of people that came from Africa through Turkey or something?
    Banner Made By Me for Me
    The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

It would take 'genetically' 300 people, 150 men and 150 women with each woman having between 3 to 5 children by different men for 10 generations to have a viable gene pool that is not highly prone to genetic flaws

yes, each woman would have to have at least 3 kids by a different father

Quote Originally Posted by senilegreen View Post
    Not that it helps much, but those LA members who died in "The Hunt" were still alive in "Twin Destinies".

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    It would take 'genetically' 300 people, 150 men and 150 women with each woman having between 3 to 5 children by different men for 10 generations to have a viable gene pool that is not highly prone to genetic flaws
    And you know this how...?

This is assuming that all the females would be capable of reproducing the number of offspring needed, then there would be the mortality rate among the population due to the circumstances they were living under, the lack of medical facilities, etc. You can't just do math of figures alone, without factoring in other probablilites, that might decrease the gene pool IMO
    no means no, and so does pepper spray
    Sig by The Carpenter

Quote Originally Posted by Starsaber View Post
    With 80-however many people there were on Destiny, did they really have enough people to create a stable gene pool that would last 2000 years? I remember in BSG, Baltar said that the Colonial fleet (with like 45000 people) wouldn't last nearly that long before they started having problems, so the question just kind of popped into my head. Any thoughts?
    The problem in BSG wasn't genetic diversity. It was a cultural thing. People weren't having enough children. The birth rate was too low compared to the death rate. That is why they started encouraging child bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    I don't think it would that much of an issue given the diversity of the original population
    I don't know about genetics, but I agree with this.

ETA: I didn't find a large civilization stemming from 80 or so original people to be a stretch at all.
    And there is already genetic diversity on the Destiny, no one is related, so no first cousins, marrying, ect.
    (What I found more of a stretch was people still speaking the same English that the founders, spoke, but a minor quibble.)
    Last edited by Perelandra; April 19th, 2011 at 06:07 AM.

Chief Master Sergeant Quetzocoetl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Perelandra View Post
    I don't know about genetics, but I agree with this.

ETA: I didn't find a large civilization stemming from 80 or so original people to be a stretch at all.
    And there is already genetic diversity on the Destiny, no one is related, so no first cousins, marrying, ect.
    (What I found more of a stretch was people still speaking the same English that the founders, spoke, but a minor quibble.)
    Agreed.
    Though...I figured the whole English thing was because they had easy access to spoken English via the Kinos.

Ancestor with Kino. This alone could explode into similar flying devices and vehicles. It's strange what they had only Kino's memory storage technology with them after 2000 years?

The colony should at least has cubical camp site that they could carry through gate travel. Off course, could be loaded on top of flying SUV. An equivalent to small convertible puddle jumper.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzocoetl View Post
    Agreed.
    Though...I figured the whole English thing was because they had easy access to spoken English via the Kinos.
    yes, I think you're right, now that I think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinary View Post
    Ancestor with Kino. This alone could explode into similar flying devices and vehicles. It's strange what they had only Kino's memory storage technology with them after 2000 years?

The colony should at least has cubical camp site that they could carry through gate travel. Off course, could be loaded on top of flying SUV. An equivalent to small convertible puddle jumper.
    May be they did. We do not know how long they spent on the planet before they cut off.

An it might be that they cannibalise there most advance pieces of technology to keep the power generators and radio communication equipment going.

It would be possible, but the show made it seem like it was 'whoever can have kids with whoever' ... But it would have to be strict. One man for instance might have to seed 3 generations. So yes like a 80 year old man have sex with a 16 or 18 year old woman for the sake of genetic diversity.

Once they get to everyone being a second cousin or beyond, genetic disease should be limited if not eradicated.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSmeagol View Post
    You underestimate the power of the genome.
    Having your third cousins children is 100% within acceptable genetic norms.

Populations can spring forth from much fewer specimens then you can think.
    The Galapagos Islands have a diverse population of tortoises.
    No more then 10 females are the parents to every single one of the 10+ species of tortoises you can find on the different islands. They have been there for millions of years.
    Human genome is a little more complicated and would require a slightly more diversified genetic profile. Once you reach thousands tho, genetic diversity would not be an issue ever again.

^500 people would be like 4th or 5th generation, clearing that 3rd cousin stuff too^

Interesting episode!
    Exactly. I think people underestimate 'stable gene pools'. They could breed with first, second, third cousins and as long as they keep some knowledge of genetic abnormalities I see no reason why they couldn't do it. With 60-100 or so people, I think it would be plenty of diversity to do it (though they'd still suffer from our genetic ailments). The problem occurs with far less than that, a dozen or so, that dangerous conditions become more statistically likely.