This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Genii vs Wraith, who's worse?

It is so easy to assume that fellow human races will be amicable and aliens will be evil. But it is my belief that the Genii are worse enemies than the Wraith. Sure the Wraith are more powerful and have advanced technology, and they kill many humans. But they do so because they need to feed. It is no different than the millions of animals humans kill because humans need to feed. Killing to survive in this manner is not a malicious act, it is a necessity for survival, and its done with respect. Now look at the Genii.
    1) They deceive Teyla for many years about being advanced enough to have weapons and an army.
    2) When the atlantis team wanted to trade, the Genii captured them, and forced them to reveal information about their weapons and about nuclear power.
    3) the Genii used the atlantis team to get information on the Wraith devise.
    4) then after all this cooperation and hope for an alliance, the Genii tried to steal all the C-4 and jumper instead of trading anything for it (as was originally planned for the C-4 and medical supplies).
    5) the Genii seize Atlantis and kill two men when it wasn't necessary.
    6) the Genii take the Wraith devise, then they wish to take all medical and C-4 supplies, much more than they need, without care for what Atlantis needs.
    7) then they try to steal the whole city.

So clearly the Genii have no interest in helping other humans. They will steal and kill to get what they want, only to better they survival, at the expense of others. They have shown no interest in helping other humans, Atlantis or otherwise. So they are not just a threat to Atlantis, but also to other humans in the galaxy. But they didn't need to proceed this way. They could have form an allliance. They had a choice. And they choose to be malicious and militant. Are the much different from the Goa'uld?

The Genii would benefit from an alliance more than Atlantis would. The Genii has not battled the Wraith in generations (already the atlantis team has more experience), their military strategies were untested for generations (of course they failed at seizing Atlantis), their weapons and thinking are so inferior that they were only concerned with seizing earth weapons (they can't imagine the power of Ancient weapons and knowledge, or of enemies more powerful than the Wraith). The Genii could only provide food and manpower to Atlantis.

And yet there is still hope that the Genii could become allies. If they were aliens would such hope still remain? If such malicious acts occurred on earth, would retaliation not be warranted? They failed to seize Atlantis this time, how long before they try again?

I would say the Genii, seeing as how they love to double cross us. The wraith are like 'LOOK HUMANS! KILL THEM!' Genii, definately.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

I really hope the Genii are reaaaaaaaaaaaaaly arogent and try and attack the wraith with some C4 (Thinking its pretty darn powerfull) ROFL then they all get blown to bits the end
      Griffin: You aren't Spanish, are you?
      McKay: Oh yes! Of the Barcelona McKays!

Steam Asgard Commander of the Teal'c

http://www.youtube.com/partcontinuum

Comment

I would have to say the Genii are the worst. Several reasons:

Possible spoilerage below, so mind the spoiler space!

Spoiler:
        The atlantis team really managed to piss the Genii off pretty good during "The Storm."

Spoiler:
        Not only that, but they're holding a Genii Prisoner!

3. The Genii come across as pretty arrogant and stuck-up if you ask me. Nothing irks me more than people who are conceited or stuck-up.

Spoiler:
        Overconfidence on the Genii's part. They had no clue that Sheppard would be able to fend them off for so long in "The Storm."

5. The Wraith really don't see us as anything more than food. Perhaps we're annoying to the Wraith, so that would probably irk them more than anything.

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
          3. The Genii come across as pretty arrogant and stuck-up if you ask me. Nothing irks me more than people who are conceited or stuck-up.
          The Wraith are definetly stuck up, if you read "Annals of the Currator" it's quite clear.

Althought perhaps more justified than in the case of the Genii...

Comment

The Genii are so much better! The Wraith are just kinda like your stereotypical bad guys that are seemingly undefeatable, but the main characters can always find one small weakness.
            Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
            RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

I would say that the fact that this thread exists points to a definite weakness in the Wraith threat, as it has been portrayed in Atlantis. The Wraith have potential but so far are toward the direction of cookie-cutter, cardboard villains...which is why the Genii look more deadly and 'worse' by comparison. The potency of the Wraith threat needs to be upped somehow.
              sigpic

Comment

Yeah, frankly, as for villians, I find the Wraith pretty boring. I mean they were in the first episode, and then we had Steve for a while, but other than that, Nadda. We haven't dealt with the Wraith intrapersonally, so they don't have a real personality for us to grab and consider evil like the Goa'ulds or the Genii. My reaction to seeing the wraith is "hey, ugly blue guys shooting. run...nah...you're going to survive anyway." They can turn this around, but TPTB will have to craft this out. Until they do, the Wraith will continue to be cheezy bad guys.

Comment

I don't like the Genii. They are gun-ho and care little to find out the truth. Even when told the truth, they assume it is a lie. They are a very distrusting race of people. Now for the Wraith, at least you know what to expect. They are not nice, and they are out for blood. The worst enemy one could have is one that lies to your face after you've learned to trust them.

Comment

Originally posted by aeromathlete
                    Yeah, frankly, as for villians, I find the Wraith pretty boring. I mean they were in the first episode, and then we had Steve for a while, but other than that, Nadda. We haven't dealt with the Wraith intrapersonally, so they don't have a real personality for us to grab and consider evil like the Goa'ulds or the Genii. My reaction to seeing the wraith is "hey, ugly blue guys shooting. run...nah...you're going to survive anyway." They can turn this around, but TPTB will have to craft this out. Until they do, the Wraith will continue to be cheezy bad guys.
                    You'll see some of that in The Defiant One - next week

Comment

The Genii are stupid, they can't make nukes using plastique and most of them are going to be sterile thanks to the radiation from their Uranium.

Comment

I think it's clear the Genii are the better villain. Yes, the Wraith are more powerful (and don’t be fooled by the fact they haven’t appeared much. When they do, it’ll be horrible for the Pegasus Galaxy.) but a few of you made several points that make a lot of sense, the Wraith are like a deadly virus slowly spreading. Yes, they like to play with their food before they feed but for the most part they have no choice. They need to eat humans and their actions are very understandable. The Genii on the other hand are very human, and desperate humans with guns are much more scary and unpredictable than soul-sucking alien-demons. A lot of you are complaining that the Genii's actions don’t make sense, of course not, they know they’re going to die soon and they’re grasping for straws. Think of them (as a race) as a drowning man, franticly kicking and crawling over the lifeguard to stay afloat, eventually he’s going to drown both of them. That’s the Genii as a people. They are us at our worst, so they’re better villains.

Comment

I think the Genii and the Wraith represent two faces of villainy, or both sides of the adversarial coin if you like...
                          The Wraith represents that which is obviously evil... a clear and present threat. They epitomize everything that is both powerful and destructive, characterized by their grotesque appearance. Their villiany is inherent... it's in their nature... they have to feed on other humans to survive.

The Genii (and to a lesser extent, the Hoffmans? ), on the other hand, represents what can happen when bad decisions are made as a consequence of noble intentions. The saying... the road to hell is paved with good intentions...probably describes the Genii. Out of their desire to defend themselves, to protect their interests they run roughshod over others to achieve their ends. Yes, they are dangerous because they believe so strongly in their cause that everything and everyone around them is merely a means to an end. Morality and ethics are subjugated to this "higher purpose".
                          sigpic
                          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I agree with comments that the Wraith are more powerful, a greater threat, and a better villain (for entertainment purposes), and that the Genii are in a very tough position, trying to save themself, as are all other humans in the galaxy. Because humans are food to the Wraith, its in the their best interest not to wipe out all the humans on a planet. They have to let the humans multiple again. So the existance of the Genii is not threatened, just the lives of the present generation. Even if cullings are bad, it could be worst. Humans could be kept as slaves and forced to reproduce. Think of domesticated humans like domesticated chickens and cattle. At least the humans have 5 or so generations of peace inbetween cullings.

I am not thinking that a hostile race like the Wraith should be taken lightly. They make for good entertainment (but not as good as the Goa'uld). But morally, I am more irked by the Genii than the Wraith. As humans we know that humans don't have to be tyrants, slavemasters, dictators, bullies, thievies, or cheats. We understand the diversity possible among humans. And its easy to peg an alien race as being hostile or amicable without looking for diversity in individual character. (Just as it is easy to think that an entire planet being explored is similar the few mile radius from the gate.) Its one of the show's (also sg1) moral statements to reflect upon what it is to be human and how we conduct ourselves. That's probably why the actions of the Genii and NID (in sg1) irk me so much, while I can be more understanding to the actions of hostile aliens. Because the truth is, we are not facing destruction by alien races, but we still have to deal with each other here on earth. And the wars and conflicts continue.

Comment

I don't think I could say that one villian is necessarily worse than the other, as in my mind they are such different types of villians. One thing is that the Genii could be dealt with pretty quickly (the atlantis team could nuke their planet) whereas that type of one shot, simple approach isn't going to work on the Wraith who are spread out throughout the galaxy (or so it seems). In the short term the Genii have definitely shown themselves to be more troublesome but in the long term I fear the Wraith more.

One thing is for sure, though, I hate the Genii most. They have no honour.

Comment

Working...
                              X