This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maxbo View Post
    Thanks for starting this thread. It's like one-stop shopping for newbies.
    I'm a newbie myself, so this thread is rather self-serving. Also, those other threads and forums mentioned here are great, but for once I don't want to be spoilered, so I tend to stay away.

Originally posted by dragongirl View Post
    They answered the question in the 2nd ep
    Spoiler:
    He will be beheaded by Eddard Stark if he is caught in the 7 kingdoms. For selling a man to slavers
    <Edit> Corrected all the names from my earlier version, after a little help from my friends here.

Ah, thanks for that. It was also mentioned in ep 3, IIRC.

Mighty6 gave us the Winterfell characters, so I thought I'd do the same for King's Landing. I'll need help with some of the names, though. Either I don't pay enough attention, or they really don't mention them that prominently on the show. I'll start with the ruling family, or rather families.

So, there's King Robert Baratheon. Was in love with Ned Stark's sister, but she was killed under the Targaryen 'Mad King', so Robert led a rebellion and usurped the throne. Lives a life of debauchery that has led to enormous debts, most of them to the Lannisters.

And then the Lannisters. Queen Cersei. The Ice Maiden, considers everybody outside her own family an enemy.

Her twin brother Jaimie (sp?) who has an incestuous relationship with the Queen. Also called 'Kingslayer' since it was he who killed the 'Mad King'.

And their other brother, Tyrion, the imp. Easily the most colorful character on the show.

The oldest son Joffry. A bully and a coward. Is supposed to marry Ned Stark's oldest daughter.

There are two more children Myracella and Tommen.

Then there's the 'small council'. There's King Robert's brother Renly.

Lord Varis - his specialty is information, and his spies are everywhere.

'Littlefinger' or Lord Petyr Baelish. Has a history with Cathlyn Stark, and runs several brothels.

And the 'grand meister', Pycelle. My guess is that he's not as forgetful as he claims.

Last edited by starg8fans; 04 May 2011, 05:28 AM. Reason: Corrections to the name spelling

sigpic
    Check out my SGA and Fringe fanfics on fanfiction.net

Comment

It's Robert Baratheon, the kids are Myracella (Girl) and Tommen (Boy), Robert's brother is Renly, Littlefinger is Lord Petyr Baelish, and the Grand Maester is Pycelle.

But you've forgotten the most important character of them. SYRIO FOREL.

It's okay. Syrio Forel is forgiving.

Also, he was first sword to the Sealord of Bravos, one of the free countries or whatever, and is totally awesome.
      ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Nice work starg8fans, just two corrections, King Roberts brother is Renly, while Littlefinger's real name is Petyr Baelish.

Unfortunately as I struggle to finish up a dissertation, I don't really have time to do big lists of characters at the moment, so thanks for doing my work for me.

One thing I will quickly post though is a interesting little character connection people might have missed. Jorah Mormont, the Knight exiled for slave trading and companion to Daenerys Targaryen.
        http://www.scifiupdates.com/main/ima...ah_mormont.jpg

He mentioned his father being alive. I'm not sure if all viewers picked up on this, but we actually see his father on the show, this guy, Jeor Mormont,
        http://www.theironthrone.it/it/image...ttori/jeor.jpg

who is commander of the Nights Watch.
        Last edited by Bagpuss; 19 August 2014, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
          It's Robert Baratheon, the kids are Myracella (Girl) and Tommen (Boy), Robert's brother is Renly, Littlefinger is Lord Petyr Baelish, and the Grand Maester is Pycelle.

But you've forgotten the most important character of them. SYRIO FOREL.

http://i.cdn.hbo.com/assets/images/s...-forel-160.jpg

It's okay. Syrio Forel is forgiving.

Also, he was first sword to the Sealord of Bravos, one of the free countries or whatever, and is totally awesome.
          Thanks for this, I'll correct the names in my earlier post so as not to confuse anybody. It's tricky with the spelling if you've only heard the names said on the show.

Well, I said I was going to start with the 'ruling family', that city is a bit overwhelming at first. But thanks for adding this guy, I don't even think his name was mentioned on the show. And while we're at it, it seems there are not that many other characters for King's Landing. There's The Hound - is he some kind of watchdog for the prince? From what I've read on some pages he seems to play a much bigger role in the books.

Then there was that other Lannister, the one with the funny name - Lansel or something, who served Robert wine.

And finally the guy who greeted Ned when he arrived. Not sure if he's of any importance, but here he is.

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
          Nice work starg8fans, just two corrections, King Roberts brother is Renly, while Littlefinger's real name is Petyr Baelish.

Unfortunately as I struggle to finish up a dissertation, I don't really have time to do big lists of characters at the moment, so thanks for doing my work for me.
          Thanks for this - and good luck with your dissertation! I just found out that I lost my job, so I have some time on my hands until I find something else. Having more time to spend here is the proverbial silver lining, I guess.

One thing I will quickly post though is a interesting little character connection people might have missed. Jorah Mormont, the Knight exiled for slave trading and companion to Daenerys Targaryen.
          http://www.scifiupdates.com/main/ima...ah_mormont.jpg

He mentioned his father being alive. I'm not sure if all viewers picked up on this, but we actually see his father on the show, this guy, Jeor Mormont,
          http://www.theironthrone.it/it/image...ttori/jeor.jpg

who is commander of the Nights Watch.
          THAT'S where I'd heard the name Mormont before, thank you. Plenty more groups for you to introduce when you have more time. We still need the Targaryens, the Dothraki, the Night's Watch, and whatever other families we'll meet over time...

sigpic

Comment

starg8fans,

Viserys Targaryen wants to re-take the throne from Robert. To raise an army, he marries off his sister Daenerys to Khal Drogo, lord of the nomadic Dothraki tribe of horsemen. [emphasis added]
            No. Khal Drogo is not the lord of all the Dothraki. He's lord of one of many Khalasars. When two Khalasars meet, all hell breaks loose.

So, there's King Robert Baratheon. Was in love with Ned Stark's sister, but she was killed under the Targaryen 'Mad King', so Robert led a rebellion and usurped the throne.
            Muwahhahahahahahahahahaahahahah: Big spoiler, huge, but not true with certianty:

Spoiler:
            R+L=J
            Last edited by Ser Scot A Ellison; 04 May 2011, 01:06 PM.
            All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I couldn't quote you because I didn't want to see the spoiler. I'm a total newbie myself, so I'm just saying things as I understand them from what I've seen so far. Feel free to point out where I went wrong. In any case, I changed my post at the top to say 'lord of a nomadic Dothraki tribe'. I hope that's more accurate.

sigpic

Comment

Starg8fans,

Perfect, well not perfect, but close enough for government work.
                All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                  Starg8fans,

Perfect, well not perfect, but close enough for government work.
                  Okay, this is scary. Have you just red Medusa by Clive Cussler as well?

sigpic

Comment

Starg8fans,

Nope. I've never read Clive Cussler. Just heard that expression somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                      Starg8fans,

Nope. I've never read Clive Cussler. Just heard that expression somewhere.

Oh, okay, because I just read it in that book. Duplicity of events, I guess.

And it has just come to my attention that another character we saw briefly in King's Landing has quite a bit of backstory and may become important later on - the old man without a tongue Sansa met in the street:

He's Ser Ilyn Payne, the 'King's Justice'.

I also heard that Jamie's a member of the elite Kingsguard. Is that right? Can I add that to his picture above?

sigpic

Comment

Jaime is indeed a member of the Kingsguard, the fact that he's often seen guarding the King should be a clue. And he guarded the last King as well, right up to the infamous stabbing incident.

Comment

How safe must the king feel, being guarded by someone nicknamed "Kingslayer"
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                            Jaime is indeed a member of the Kingsguard, the fact that he's often seen guarding the King should be a clue. And he guarded the last King as well, right up to the infamous stabbing incident.
                            And I guess that's what the armor signifies he was wearing in the latest episode? As did the other guy in the King's chamber?

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                            How safe must the king feel, being guarded by someone nicknamed "Kingslayer"
                            Good point.
                            Last edited by starg8fans; 05 May 2011, 11:45 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by starg8fans View Post
                              And I guess that's what the armor signifies he was wearing in the latest episode? As did the other guy in the King's chamber?
                              Yeah that's Kingsguard armour. And the older guy in the same amour who you saw talking to Robert is Ser Barristan Selmy, who is Lord Commander of the Kingsguard.

Comment

Here's a link to an enormous chart of the various characters and their relationships with each other.

Also comes with a handy map which details the locations of the events shown in the episodes thus far.
                                http://hauteslides.com/2011/05/game-...relationships/

Comment

Working...
                                X