• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Normandy (317)

Visit the Episode GuideSANCTUARY SEASON THREE
    NORMANDY
    EPISODE NUMBER - 317
    In June of 1944 Helen Magnus, James Watson, and Nigel Griffin join up with the French Resistence on the eve of D-Day, on a mission to ensure the success of the Allied invasion.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 14 March 2021, 08:37 PM.

This was a very good period piece! The style they used in filming was very good, and what can we say about Helen Well this time istead of a gun bum, it was a rifle bum I loved the iteractions between the 5, John and James was exceptional during the torture scene

There were so many great scenes with Helen, when she was captured and brought back to where James was being held...awesome, loved how she talked to the Nazi

Ah yes I did enjoy the tank too, very well done, made it a believable scene, like yes they were in WW2. I also enjoyed the actress playing the French resistence leader, they had some very good secondary characters in this episode. So, great writing, great directing and yes, very very good acting
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

I currently have a hard time forming coherent thoughts, so I will just say that I really LOVED this episode. It wasn't all thrill as I had expected, but, as the cast and crew said in the last interview I've been reading, it's the FEELING. I can't quite put it into words. There's wasn't a single moment I didn't like. The pace of the episode was just fine with me, for an episode as huge as this one. As usual, everything ended well, though, I was afraid for a two-parter. ;P

And I liked the dedication at the end.

There were wonderful moments in the whole episode with The Five. Each of them. Was that French girl Clara's mother?
      I knew John couldn't be really working for the Nazis and I was waiting for him to wave that officer out. I thought it took him long enough, but maybe that was his way of torturing James because he learned he was with Helen now... Knowing John (and with the scene between to two), it had probably something to do with that. ;P
      I loved every Nikola scene. How he was with the group while being in London.

I do question the use of Robin Dunne as Will's grandfather though. I think I would have prefered another actor. To me, he sounded too much like Will, and I had a hard time seeing the other character. MHO.
      Last edited by LadyGalaxyJ; 23 May 2011, 07:39 PM. Reason: Typos!
      sigpic
      Live Peace. Speak Kindness. Dwell in possibility.
      My Livejournal. | My fanfictions. | My videos. | My twitter.
      Beautiful avi and sig are birthday presents fom josiane!

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
        This was a very good period piece! The style they used in filming was very good, and what can we say about Helen Well this time istead of a gun bum, it was a rifle bum I loved the iteractions between the 5, John and James was exceptional during the torture scene

There were so many great scenes with Helen, when she was captured and brought back to where James was being held...awesome, loved how she talked to the Nazi

Ah yes I did enjoy the tank too, very well done, made it a believable scene, like yes they were in WW2. I also enjoyed the actress playing the French resistence leader, they had some very good secondary characters in this episode. So, great writing, great directing and yes, very very good acting
        I think Mandy sums it really well!

And you're absolutely right on the torture scene! Kuddos to Peter Wingfield! I believed every single minute of it. I was hurting for him.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LadyGalaxyJ View Post
          I currently have a hard time forming coherent thoughts, so I will just say that I really LOVED this episode. It wasn't all thrill as I had expected, but, as the cast and crew said in the last interview I've been reading, it's the FEELING. I can't quite put it into words. There's wasn't a single moment I didn't like. The pace of the episode was just fine with me, for an episode as huge as this one. As usual, everything ended well, though, I was afraid for a two-parter. ;P

There were wonderful moments in the whole episode with The Five. Each of them. Was that French girl Clara's mother?
          I knew John couldn't be really working for the Nazis and I was waiting for him to wave that officer out. I thought it took him long enough, but maybe that was his way of torturing James because he learned he was with Helen now... Knowing John (and with the scene between to two), it had probably something to do with that. ;P

I do question the use of Robin Dunne as Will's grandfather though. I think I would have prefered another actor. To me, he sounded to much like Will, and I had a hard time seeing the other character. MHO.
          Yea, I have to agree with you on that one, it was a bit odd having him there.
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

It was an awesome episode, I have to say. Despite the fact that my head was hurting like you wouldn't believe the whole way through.... Loved Nikola's scenes and how he figured out the traitor. And I do agree with Robin playing Will's grandfather as well. The role was well played but I kept thinking that it was Will and not his grandfather.

Can't wait to rewatch this one.
            sigpic
            Icon and Sig by me.

Comment

First of all, my brain needs to get past the word “Wow” when thinking of this episode.

I was a bit surprised that there was no intro/outro from the current day Sanctuary as to why we’re seeing this look into the past of The Five during the war. I was expecting Helen to be telling Will, Henry or Kate a story about those exploits. However, I’m glad to have had more time with “The Fab Five” back in their heyday.

I find it kind of funny that Tesla was (once again) left behind from the main action – and pouting about it as well. I was not really surprised to see John on the side of the Nazis to begin with. However, I did figure that he was working some sort of “inside plan” that was going to help the rest of the gang.

It was great to see much more of Nigel Griffin (and I don’t mean the naked part!) I really wish both he & Watson would still be alive in present day. It would be great to see more current day exploits with The Fab Five all together again.

As usual, when it comes to the Fab Five, I really enjoyed their interaction with each other – including Druitt & Watson, where John knew how to torture James, and take it just far enough to where it didn’t cross the line. Their banter over Helen’s affections was lovely as well. On that note, I also wasn’t surprised to hear that James & Helen had some kind of relationship back then. It’s been hinted at previously a few times. Her calling James “darling” was quite sweet. It kind of gives me a new look to the scene at the end of season 1 where Watson dies in the tunnels while Helen & John watch him take his last breath. I totally adored the scene with John, James & Helen.

I also really loved the continuity that this episode had. The return of the Tunisian Fire Elemental, the autotype, Watson’s suit that keeps him alive, etc.

I liked how they brought Will’s grandfather into the story. But, I was somehow hoping that they’d include ancestors from Henry & Kate at some point as well, making it all seem to come full circle.

As usual, the banter back & forth was great:
              Helen/Jeanette: “you should know we deal with monsters” – “I deal with Nazis. I'd say we’re even.”
              Druitt to Watson: “I know you’re not afraid to die, James. But I plan to make you afraid to live”
              Nazi Guy/Helen: “May I call you Helen?” – “Absolutely NOT!”
              “Better than a comic book”
              Griffin: “Just get him out of there before they make him Hitler’s houseboy”
              “the enemy of my enemy is my friend” – raise your hand if you thought of Stargate’s “The crystal skull” episode when he said that!

To a person that’s not a big fan of Helen & the rest of The Five, I can understand how this episode might be considered a bit “slow”. However, as a viewer who absolutely adores The Fab Five – this episode was absolutely awesome. I even thought about this being similar to episodes of the old classic tv show, “Combat”, which I loved back in the day. (is that showing my age?!)

Heaven forbid the day that Sanctuary actually ends, but I dare say MAD could be successful in making full-length movies of just exploits of The Five.

ETA:
              who was the main Nazi guy? He looks very familiar.
              Last edited by KayLyne; 23 May 2011, 08:50 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Great Episode with the whole 5, only one think was strange, seeing tussian T-55 representing german PZ-IV tank, they could at least remove fenders and mask wheels.
                Tesla was too valuable to ber sent to the France, and Will's grandfather as one of the paratroopers could Helen be his Gradmother?

Comment

Wow, what a great adventure, Normandy was a phenomenal episode. Brilliant story, acting, effects, music and it was just an epic story of history told tonight I loved the dedication at the end, it was such a great way to end the episode, and to give thanks to the US army.

I loved how they really pushed this episode like this, it was such a great way to tell a WW2 story, everything Amanda said about it in her Skype interview was right, I didn't really feel the "sci-fi" element, but you could tell it was there. The whole tone and feel to the episode really gave you that impression that this was really an old WW2 show or movie we were watching, and I think they succeeded in what they wanted to do with the episode. I love how it started with 3 of The Five, and how they were able to take down some Nazi dudes, and I love how they introduced Helen as a redhead. Oh, and we had to hear her "bloody hell" line.

What I liked seeing a lot was that each member of The Five had an important role in the ep, even though they weren't together, they were still a team, and I liked that. That scene where Watson was shot, could that be how he got those leg braces? Also, that scene when we see Helen in the back of the car, was a good moment, because you could tell she was afraid for what could happen to him. Seeing John do that to Watson was a little hard to watch, but, hey, better him than Helen. The twist where John was actually still on their side, and wanted to free Watson was really good, even more when we saw that he couldn't use his powers to get out of the building. I thought it was cool seeing them use that machine again to communicate, and I'm glad we saw how important it was in the war. Hehe, I laughed at Nigel's "She likes me line" it was so sweet. I thought it was kinda cool seeing Robin play his own great-- or just grandfather or what ever, but I was hoping Helen and him could have met. I think this is the first episode where there's been no Helen-Will interaction.

I loved the music when Helen was talking to that solider outside the hideout. So romantic, and it was so cool hearing her speak French. The scene with her, Watson, John and the Nazi dude was short, but well done. I look at Helen, John and Watson as kind of a love triangle, there's John, the man who broke her heart, and Watson, the man who put her heart back together. I loved Helen giving the Nazi dude attitude when he asked if he could call her Helen. I really wasn't expecting the guy Tesla was with to be bad, but, hey, it was still cool to see Tesla as a vamp.

Overall, it was a fantastic episode, it was a great story, we saw a big part of history told in a cool and different way, they stop the bad guy, saved the day, and helped end the war. This episode was most definitely a win, and I hope to see it get at least some kind of award nom for it.

Comment

I do question the use of Robin Dunne as Will's grandfather though. I think I would have prefered another actor. To me, he sounded too much like Will, and I had a hard time seeing the other character. MHO.
                    thats exactly what i thought about the resistance leader

didnt the text say tesla was in portsmouth

i thought robin dunne did alrite, the voice was very similar but a little different, so you could tell they were related

wouldnt magnus and the others had Sten guns not thompsons, but at least we saw the resistance leader and griffin using stens later

Comment

Was that French girl Clara's mother?
                      If anything, it would actually have to be grandmother... right? Since Clara was Nigel's granddaughter.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KayLyne View Post
                        If anything, it would actually have to be grandmother... right? Since Clara was Nigel's granddaughter.
                        Yeah. That's what I meant. Oops.
                        sigpic

Comment

this episode so totaly rocked that my brain is still processing it all!! imean WOW!! OH HOLY FRAKKING GODS!!! I MEAN WHOA!!!

Tomorrow I should be able to actually have something constructive to say... lol!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AresLover452 View Post
                            this episode so totaly rocked that my brain is still processing it all!! imean WOW!! OH HOLY FRAKKING GODS!!! I MEAN WHOA!!!

Tomorrow I should be able to actually have something constructive to say... lol!
                            Totally agreed with ya!!!

This was such an awesome episode. Many times over.
                            Thank you Sanctuary for giving us such great stuff!!!

Comment

OK, fangirl crush time.

This is the Sanctuary I love, and the memory of One Night and Wingman is like a bad dream after the last two weeks.

First of all, great to see The Five in action again. This is the kind of episode I've been waiting for since they were first mentioned in SFA. Taking a piece of history and making it their own with a unique twist.

Second, the interactions between the characters were at the highest level, especially between the Five. Tesla was his usual snarky brilliant self, Druitt was playing his own agenda, and it was nice to see more of Griffin. The Helen and James thing was a bit of a surprise (tho' not a huge one). I wonder when it started and when it ended, cause they obviously weren't together for some time before James died (I doubt Helen would have had John's child if she was still with James). Either way, it'll be nice to see more of their history over the years, especially some more John/James interaction.

One thing I didn't like, as few people mentioned above was RD playing Will's grandfather. Same actors playing ancestors of their regular characters is weird and distracting IMO, I mean how hard is it to find someone who looks a bit similar to pass as a grandfather?

All in all still one of the best eps in the series for me, and definitely the best in this half season so far.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X