Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Awakening (316)

Raticate

Default Re: Awakening (316)

I think part of what I enjoyed with the vampire story in this one is that Magnus wasn't totally dismissed by the vamp queen as a mere mortal. After all, Helen does have a bit of vampire blood in her. Considering that Afina tossed Tesla aside as just a minion & not quite worthy, I'm glad she was able to spar a bit with Helen - even if she was going to use her for feeding at some point. (Ewww!)

Quote Originally Posted by Steff View Post
    Great episode!!!!!
    i couldn't agree more!

sanctuary was back to it's solid writing and great acting! okay, as soon as amanda/helen is focused, it's those two for me!

random:

color was weird in the ep. muted coloring. kind of neat. did anyone else notice?

helen and tesla flirting is fun! and great dialog and bantering!

helen really did come off a bit jealous. hehe.

the helen-vampire queen interactions were great, and i wish they'd have more one-on-one scenes. LOVED when helen said, 'i hope you choke on it'!

i like kate's, 'i'm not alone, i'm with the sanctuary now'. you go, kate!

i'll now read others thoughts and reply if needed.

i really enjoyed this episode!
    Last edited by majorsal; May 17th, 2011 at 05:59 PM.
    sally

Quote Originally Posted by sparklegem View Post
    The vampire queen was definitely a better character than the trailer led me to believe, but her chest was so distracting. Could have done without that.
    yeah, i suddenly noticed her boobage when she'd pushed helen against the wall and was threatening her with being their fast food restaurant.

that was really a great scene too
    sally

First Lieutenant meredithchandler73's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post
    I even loved the vampire queen. (Was it just me, or did she appear to be looking at Magnus as more than just a meal?)
    TOTALLY not just you - I thought the vampire queen was very...interested...in Helen. And seriously, who wouldn't be?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    How they have to explain things sometimes is a bit annoying... like how Helen goes "we had our shiels on and it didn't recognise our vampire blood" or something like that, it's like, no ****. I love later how the Queen points out her condescending (or perhaps, simplistic) nature. I think I'd go for the latter, she does explain things very simply more often than not for someone so intelligent.
    I did think the line about not recognizing their vampire blood due to the shield bracelet was unnecessary, but didn't really bother me all that much. As far as Helen explaining things simply more often than not, I kind of like that. It is certainly something that sets Helen Magnus apart from Sam Carter - who frequently needed to be told to explain things in plain English as opposed to technobabble.
    Last edited by meredithchandler73; May 18th, 2011 at 05:44 AM.

Thanks to Starlover1990 for the banner

Quote Originally Posted by meredithchandler73 View Post
    --really loved the vampire queen. I liked how she wanted Magnus to join her court. Just about everyone falls for Magnus, don't they?
    --Tesla's reverence and then hatred for the queen was terrific. Love early on when she was awakened and Tesla says something like (sorry for the paraphrase), "Look at her. Strong, intelligent, holds up very well for age - all the qualities I look for in a woman." I'm sure I mangled the line, but it made me laugh out loud.
    --I'm kind of glad the map to Hollow Earth was destroyed. It could have turned into a crutch ("check the database") when a problem needed solving. We know they got some info from it. That works for me.
    --I'm a little surprised the queen didn't feed on Helen at all. As soon as she woke up, I was waiting for when she would go for Helen. I thought maybe that would be the moment where Tesla stopped following the queen around like a puppy dog - having to choose between the queen and saving Helen. But having the queen betray him and throw him into a pit was better. (Anyone have flashbacks to Sleepers where the young vamps tossed Nikola off the building? Wasn't that when he said, "Oh I hate them.")

I'll write more after another viewing. Overall - loved this episode!!!
    She wanted Helen as a fresh blood supply. Helen can't replentish that fast, so not sure what she was thinking.

Tesla sure came by is arrogance naturally. the queen was swimming in it. Helen was right to be cautious. Helen sure seemed...human. Which is fine. Good acting choice by Amanda.
    Mourning Sanctuary.
    Thanks for the good times!

Loved this episode! Sanctuary is back, thank the gods.

And srsly? Gillian Horvath is now my favorite Sanctuary writer. She's awesome.

Loved the chemistry between Magnus & Tesla. So fabulous and super-fun. It really brought a huge smile to my face. I even loved the vampire queen. (Was it just me, or did she appear to be looking at Magnus as more than just a meal?) The entire A story was pitch perfect. B story was good too. I liked a bit of insight into Kate's past and her struggle to live up to what she perceives the Sanctuary's standards to be. Magnus has become something of a hero to her. I think it will be interesting to see what happens when she comes face-to-face with Magnus' dark side. Also, way to act like a grownup, finally, Will.

I'm not discounting that the vamps are not actually totally dead. #1 they are vampires, #2 it's sci-fi. But we'll see.
    Yeah, I'm very pleased with this ep. Gotta remember that though she may have written the eppy, I'd bet Damian polished it to make it fit his vision. (Though he needed glasses these last few eps )

Will wasn't in it much. And wasn't paired with his girlfriend, so he wasn't trying to be glib. MUCH better.

You may not have been the only one to see the queen look at Helen a certain way, but like any ship, it's all in the viewpoint. I sure didn't notice anything.
    Mourning Sanctuary.
    Thanks for the good times!

Loved this episode! Sanctuary is back, thank the gods.

And srsly? Gillian Horvath is now my favorite Sanctuary writer. She's awesome.

Loved the chemistry between Magnus & Tesla. So fabulous and super-fun. It really brought a huge smile to my face. I even loved the vampire queen. (Was it just me, or did she appear to be looking at Magnus as more than just a meal?) The entire A story was pitch perfect. B story was good too. I liked a bit of insight into Kate's past and her struggle to live up to what she perceives the Sanctuary's standards to be. Magnus has become something of a hero to her. I think it will be interesting to see what happens when she comes face-to-face with Magnus' dark side. Also, way to act like a grownup, finally, Will.

I'm not discounting that the vamps are not actually totally dead. #1 they are vampires, #2 it's sci-fi. But we'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by suse View Post
    Yeah, I'm very pleased with this ep. Gotta remember that though she may have written the eppy, I'd bet Damian polished it to make it fit his vision. (Though he needed glasses these last few eps )

Will wasn't in it much. And wasn't paired with his girlfriend, so he wasn't trying to be glib. MUCH better.

You may not have been the only one to see the queen look at Helen a certain way, but like any ship, it's all in the viewpoint. I sure didn't notice anything.
    Gillian Horvath is amazing with Vampire stories. I adore her Forever Knight episodes.

She was co-writer with Damian on Trail of Blood episode of Sanctuary. This was also a Telsa episode.

searching the galaxy for a habitable home

I loved how Sanctuary returned to what I first loved it for!!! And I got my wish- more Helen and Tesla interactions. When they woke the queen, I was a bit skeptical and worried the show would have turned into a war between humans and vampires, which would have been a little cliched. Oh! I was sooo overjoyed that Tesla returned being a vampire; that was the icing on the cake! I must say, for a come-back episode, this really did bring the show back to its original high standards.

--Tesla's reverence and then hatred for the queen was terrific. Love early on when she was awakened and Tesla says something like (sorry for the paraphrase), "Look at her. Strong, intelligent, holds up very well for age - all the qualities I look for in a woman." I'm sure I mangled the line, but it made me laugh out loud...........................

--I'm a little surprised the queen didn't feed on Helen at all. As soon as she woke up, I was waiting for when she would go for Helen. I thought maybe that would be the moment where Tesla stopped following the queen around like a puppy dog - having to choose between the queen and saving Helen. But having the queen betray him and throw him into a pit was better. (Anyone have flashbacks to Sleepers where the young vamps tossed Nikola off the building? Wasn't that when he said, "Oh I hate them.")
    I really loved that too -- how he went from practically worshipping her to saying "I hate her" after she threw him in the pit. LOL That line reminded me of Sleepers too. And yes he did say "I hate them" after they tossed him off the building and he landed on the car. So now two times when he has encountered other vampires he's been thrown. 1) thrown off a building and 2) thrown into a pit, and both times were a long hard fall.

The banter between Nikola and Helen was great. AT and JY play their roles wonderfully and I always enjoy their scenes together. So many good lines between the two of them.

I wondered too whether we've seen the last of Afina. That was a pretty big explosion, but you never know, maybe she was able to save herself in those last few seconds. We'll see.

I wasn't as enthused about the other storyline, and it seemed like a time filler just to avoid having the entire show about the vampire queen, Magnus, and Tesla. But it was okay.

This is the kind of episode that keeps me watching the show and I will be re-watching this one. Great to see Nikola revamped.

Thanks to yamiinsane for my lovely sig.

I thought it was funny when Tesla kept trying to get up the wall but couldn't until figure out that could use he power to get the bag. I really enjoyed this episode and it will be one I will definitely be watching again.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

As far as Helen explaining things simply more often than note, I kind of like that. It is certainly something that sets Helen Magnus apart from Sam Carter - who frequently needed to be told to explain things in plain English as opposed to technobabble.
    This comment reminds me of something else I forgot to say.

The whole episode was very Stargate-y, or at least reminiscent of SG-1's Goa'uld arc. The hieroglyps and the tomb and everything...

After several episodes which i felt the quality had been noticeably lower, an episode that really blew my socks off. Tesla returns and is revamped. First 15 minutes of it were highlight for me with Tesla and Helen banter of the highest order. I like the slightly reckless Helen who doesn't give a seconds thought to revamping Tesla if it means saving him.

The B arc was ok but i admit half thought is it really necessary.

Queen might be dead but what about her court. They were all protected by a wall and that rock hard amber substance.

Great epsiode!

Telsa trying to climb up the wall "no.. no no no nonno!!.. Backstabbing, bloodsucking *****!" ahah... proberly had to be my favorite scene

loved the Helen/ Vampire Queen interaction, Tesla was great as always XD

The B sotry was good, nice to dip in to Kate's past a bit more

in Agreeance with others.. SANCTUARY IS BACK BABY!!! XD

General Of The Tesla Troopers, Proud Member of Magnett, MOP and SHIP

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post

-Was it really believeable that the Queen's crystal structure was weakened enough by a shot a few millimitres into it that would've enabled Helen to smash it with a rock?
    It might possibly be explained simply by it's age. She was only supposed to be in there for a 1000 years or so but was in it for a lot longer. Once it's structural integrity was breached it may simply have weakend to the ravages of time.

Was Biggie getting therapy from Will? It certainly looked like it when Kate stormed in to his office and I loved his hand gesture "Hey I' here" kind of thing.

I'm glad that they appear to have killed that batch of Vamps at least. I think that if they had escaped it would have really changed the tone of the programme. Lets face it, it would have taken a heck of a lot to stop them, probably all out war, or at the leaset it would end up like V.

I'm gonna be real quick...I loved this episode...Tesla is back - yeah baby!!!!!
    There's just something so cool and special about watching Helen and Tesla on screen together...not in a ship way though...well maybe...but I prefer John & Helen.
    Was nice to have 2 distinct stories in the one ep...loved it. This is what Sanctuary is made of. Brilliant ep...makes me want more. There ya go...simple & to the point. Cheers. xo
    "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
    ~Amanda Tapping

Second Lieutenant sanctuary girl's Avatar

First thought: Has there ever been a bad Tesla episode? Not in my book, so that set the bar high for me. And I had not been disapointed.
    The Helen/Nikola interaction had been great, not only dialoge but also the facial expressions ("are you absolutely positive this will work?"- great look he shoots Helen). Amanda and Jonathon together are just amazing all the time.
    The queen had been interesting and not as clichè as I expected.

I liked the B story about Kate. Her charakter grows so much this season. I really start to like her very much. But I have a small problem with her hair this season. Is that a new trend that I am just missing or is it simply bad styling?

Quote Originally Posted by Mousie View Post
    It might possibly be explained simply by it's age. She was only supposed to be in there for a 1000 years or so but was in it for a lot longer. Once it's structural integrity was breached it may simply have weakend to the ravages of time.

Was Biggie getting therapy from Will? It certainly looked like it when Kate stormed in to his office and I loved his hand gesture "Hey I' here" kind of thing.
    Oh thanks for the explanation, I guess that does make more sense, seeing as she was what... 5,000 years overdue being woken up?

To answer your second point, I can see how you interpreted it as such but I kind of doubt it. Will is (supposedly) a Forensic Psychiatrist so really counselling isn't necessarily his forte (his area of expertise should be medications, prisoners, assessment, etc). Also, because the way Biggie was lying down on the couch with Will almost behind him implies Psychoanalytic therapy (y'all should have heard of Freud?), which while not that popular these days (it's mainly used as last resort for people who have tried everything or people in severe "psychological pain"), I also doubt that a Forensic Psychiatrist would be trained in it...

I could be wrong, but I think it's more likely the writer/director has gotten mixed up with what Will should know or be doing (or what is realistic for him to know and practice).

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

I find it interesting that Tesla, mister 'recreate my race' didn't blink an eye at Helen blowing them up

Chief Master Sergeant

tesla episodes are always great
    like the episode where tesla was traped in cave will say's he always have hiden agenda and helen says thats what makes him so interesting

the bomb was designed to kill vamp so that we can be sure vamp are dead
    but well in sanctuary we never know cause helen team was killed in haloearth to and revived so writers can bring them back in some way to make interesting story
    sorry about my lack of language skills as it is not my daily language and have learned it by my self as not from any help of others or a school

Quote Originally Posted by KayLyne View Post
    That lady is a vampire queen. Do we really expect her to be dead?
    Nope... I will not be surprised in the least if she shows up again... She a full vampire, and after seeing what Tesla has gotten himself out of, I would not be surprised if she survived that explosion.
    "The sea is emotion incarnate. It loves, hates, & weeps. It defies all attempts to capture it with words and rejects all shackles. No matter what you say about it, there is always that which you can't."
    -Brom in Eragon