• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Golden Crown (106)

Visit the Episode GuideGAME OF THRONES - SEASON ONE
    A GOLDEN CROWN
    EPISODE NUMBER - 106
    Tyrion attempts to defend his innocence and win his freedom under Lysa's perverse sense of justice. Ned sits on the throne while King Robert goes hunting, and places the kingdom in jeopardy by calling the Lannisters' powerful father to account. Fed up with Khal Drogo's inaction, Viserys demands the payment he is due.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 08 October 2011, 01:02 PM.

First off, no Jaime. Missing Lord Snow by now too.

But, those two little issues have been very much rectified. Allow me to laugh:

AHAHAHBFAHFBHSBKGHHAHAHAHWMUAQAHAHAHAHHA.

"Golden Crown". ****ing classic.

I love this show. So much.

So yeah, much to love, and I'll pollute my favourite moments thread soon, but for here I'll say that things are coming along swimmingly - the desperate situation Ned's finding himself in while Robert goes out to be a bastard, Tyrion's continued awesomeness - Bronn is now my new favourite character to add to the list - and Cat's over-her-head-i-ness. Sansa's unfortunately probably going to get somebody killed with her stubborness, but Arya's still awesome, so... Also, interesting stuff going on near Winterfell, plus a little White Walkers talk... I approve!

Okay fine... I felt a little sorry for Viserys in the end. Just a little. "Dany?" A little bit. But still, now I can safely call Drogo a total boss. Hah. And here I thought the golden crown would be Drogo lopping the top of Viserys's head off.
    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

I got home from work literally 5 minutes just before the 9 pm showing. I wasn't about to miss my Game of Thrones fix. After watching the 9 pm presentation, I watched the 11 pm encore presentation because I needed another hit of the awesomeness.

The story line has built up so much tension now. I wonder what the uninitiated--that is, those who have never read the book--will think about the absolutely startling twists that are coming VERY shortly. I remember my mouth literally dropping on certain pages and saying aloud, WTF?

I'm glad Mance Rayder has already been referenced. I know that he will become an important figure later on so I'm glad they've set that plot in motion now. Anybody notice that the woman who threatened Bran in the woods is the same actress who played Tonks in the Harry Potter movies? She was a good choice I thought.
      sigpic

Comment

I'm disappointed in the crowning of Viserys. I'm guessing that it was inspired by the story of how Genghis Khan took vengeance against a governor who robbed a Mongol caravan by having him executed with molten silver poured into his eyes, ears, and mouth. Considering how Khal Drogo is pretty much based on Genghis Khan, they should have gone with something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
          I'm disappointed in the crowning of Viserys. I'm guessing that it was inspired by the story of how Genghis Khan took vengeance against a governor who robbed a Mongol caravan by having him executed with molten silver poured into his eyes, ears, and mouth. Considering how Khal Drogo is pretty much based on Genghis Khan, they should have gone with something like that.
          The Crowning was "inspired" by the bit in the book where Viserys gets crowned, and since it's a faithful adaptation, I'm glad they didn't change it. The scene is meant to be heavy on the symbolism, firstly because it's ironic that Viserys got a "crown." Then there's the fact that it shows he's not worthy of the crown (he can't keep it on his head so to speak), and finally it shows he's not truly got the blood of the dragon, as he's not immune to fire.

Anyway since we're on the subject, I loved the final scene everyone's acting was brilliant but special mention must go to Harry Lloyd. Thanks to his acting and his cries of help to Dany I really felt sorry for the guy. And his death was the first one in the show I cringed at, it was horrific (in a good way ).

As for the rest it was excellent as usual, I think last week's ep is still my favourite but this was a close second. A couple of cool fights in it, loved Ser Valis vs Bronn, that was probably the best fight yet. The wildings attacking Bran was good too. Incidentally it was nice to hear Bran laugh, poor little fella.

The rest, well there was the epic horse heart scene, Renly giving Robert a piece of his mind, Ned handing out justice, so much goodness. But one of the things I spent doing the most this week is laughing, especially at Tyrion's adventures at the Eyrie. His attempts to bribe Mord, and his "confession" had me in fits of laughter.

*EDIT*
          Damn and I forgot to mention Syrio. Awesome as ever. "There is only one god. And his name is death. And there is only one thing we say to death, not today." I need to put that in a sig...
          Last edited by The Mighty 6 platoon; 23 May 2011, 04:25 AM. Reason: added Syrio Forel epicness

Comment

Ayra was great when Sansa talked about Joffrey and their future kids

and crowning was epic. I was expecting something like that to happen
            Stolen Kosovo
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
              Ayra was great when Sansa sister about Joffrey and their future kids
              It was funny watching her and Ned pretty much roll their eyes at Sansa.

Comment

looks like there's the next episode on the allmighty internet
                Stolen Kosovo
                sigpic

Comment

Ayra was great when Sansa talked about Joffrey and their future kids
                  i loved that part aswell
                  sigpic
                  The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

Great episode (well, all of 'em are great so far ).

I have only one complaint: why so short?!? Each episode should be TWO HOURS LONG!

I love the few swordplay scenes (a minor niggle: in Bronn's duel, when he sliced the knight's leg...I had the impression that he didn't have enough force to slice through the knight's mail. Cool fight, still, esp. the fact that Bronn didn't use a shield. ).

Cringed at the Joffrey & Sansa scene.
                    Yay for more Tyrion (the scenes w/ Mord and the 'confession' was great) and Arya (w/ Syrio: "Not today" Hehehe).

As for the 'crowning':
                    sigpic

Comment

damn, I wish I've never watched 107 because waiting two weeks will be agonizing
                      Stolen Kosovo
                      sigpic

Comment

damn, I wish I've never watched 107 because waiting two weeks will be agonizing
                        Indeed. Though on the other hand it was nice to have a double dose of GOT.

Comment

I looked away for the crowning. Knew it was coming and it made my stomach churn when I read it (so did the horse heart scene) so I was too cowardly to watch it.

Loved this episode to bits, of course! So much awesome.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                            The Crowning was "inspired" by the bit in the book where Viserys gets crowned, and since it's a faithful adaptation, I'm glad they didn't change it. The scene is meant to be heavy on the symbolism, firstly because it's ironic that Viserys got a "crown." Then there's the fact that it shows he's not worthy of the crown (he can't keep it on his head so to speak), and finally it shows he's not truly got the blood of the dragon, as he's not immune to fire.
                            And Genghis Khan no doubt inspired that bit in the book.

They could have made it more like what Genghis Khan did and still kept the symbolism. Instead of having Drogo just dump a pot of molten gold on his head, they could have made it more formal and ceremonial.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
                              And Genghis Khan no doubt inspired that bit in the book.

They could have made it more like what Genghis Khan did and still kept the symbolism. Instead of having Drogo just dump a pot of molten gold on his head, they could have made it more formal and ceremonial.
                              No they couldnt have made it more formal and ceremonial because, at least in the book, Drogo crowning Viserys is a spur of the moment thing brought about solely because Viserys finally pushed drogo to the end of his patience and majorly pissed him off with all his whinging and moaning and petty demands.
                              Quietly, so as not to alarm anyone, she began to go insane

Comment

Working...
                              X