The Wolf and the Lion (105)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
    Hey Dragon Age 2 had some impressive locations. It just used them, over and over and over....
    Yes all those caves were truly fascinating...
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
      Yes all those caves were truly fascinating...
      The Gallows and the City of Kirkwall were pretty interesting. It was just they were traditional static "Bioware" locations that didn't really work as a living breathing city you were supposed to spend 10 years in watching change and grow.

Hmm speaking of Dragon Age, it's worth noticing how much it's inspired by A Song of Ice and Fire, right down to little details like Knights using the honorific Ser in both worlds.

Comment

The Gallows and the City of Kirkwall were pretty interesting. It was just they were traditional static "Bioware" locations that didn't really work as a living breathing city you were supposed to spend 10 years in watching change and grow.
        Yeah. IMHO, Kirkwall (Gallows included) lacking 'liveliness' was a big shortcoming for the game, considering most of what happens takes place within the city.

Compare that to the recently released The Witcher 2 (heck, even TW1), the locations are definitely more alive, and there doesn't seem to be much, if any, reused locations.
        (I just finished a quest in a dwarven mine...dang. It was great: it was dark, almost pitch black, w/ the light sources mainly being the lamps carried by some dwarven companions and the braziers that line the mine. And you have to light most of the braziers yourself. )

In other off-topic news: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/20/dr...ecruiting-now/
        I dunno if I should be happy or annoyed...I wish they'd 'fix' DA2 first... *sigh*
        sigpic

Comment

DA2 is a crap.
          Stolen Kosovo
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
            DA2 is a crap.
            is a crap what? Crap bookcase, crap cup holder, crap discussion of Kantian ethics?

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
              DA2 is a crap.
              Despite my disappointment with DA2, being a wasted opportunity and all that, I wouldn't call it 'crap'.
              Heck, if I didn't think it could be 'fixed'/'saved', I wouldn't bother sounding off about it.

IMHO, all DA2 needs is a 'free' "Enhanced Edition" DLC that fixes a lot of it's 'core problems'.
              sigpic

Comment

Wow! This episode linked a lot of issues that were brewing or raised in earlier episodes. I had already planned to have a re-watch marathon at the end of the season and this episode just reinforced why that's a good idea. I tend to watch the episodes more than once and each time I notice something that I missed earlier.

When I watched Ned being so open about his concerns about how and why Jon Arryn's former squire quickly became a knight after Arryn's death I was thinking that this man is too straightforward and honorable for his own good. Since Ser Barristan Selmy also has a reputation of being an honorable man, I could sort of understand why Ned would be so open about his concerns with him, but he didn't know the nuns who were preparing Hugh's body, so he should have been a bit more cautious. The poor guy is not cut out for court intrigue. I enjoyed getting a bit more of an overview of who Barristan is and was when Ned commented on his skill and reputation as a warrior.

In the scene where Ned enters to find poor Lancel trying to stuff Robert's fat ass and big gut into a too small suit of amour, I was surprised to discover that Cersei was the one who insisted that Lancel become Robert's squire. Until I realized that having a Lannister be so close to Robert was probably the best way for her to keep tabs on him. I alternated between being irritated with Robert and feeling sorry for him because the reality of being king was not what he thought it would be.

After Hugh's bloody goring in the last episode, I didn't know what to expect during the tournament for this episode, especially since The Mountain was still around. Yes, there was more blood (poor pretty, horsey) and also more all around kick-ass moments. I enjoyed the smaller moments like Ser Loras playing to the crowd by giving the impressionable, infatuated Sansa a rose and the verbal sparring between Renly and Littlefinger over betting on the match between Loras and Gregor and Renly's plans for Loras after the match.

I was shocked that Loras won until I rewatched and realized that, as Littlefinger said, Loras cheated. The best part of the tournament for me was when The Hound took on The Mountain. Joffrey's bloodthirsty joy while watching this fight was in stark contrast to the reactions of horror and surprise of the other viewers. The way the fight ended made me very curious to know more about The Hound because he has an almost slavish commitment to those that he has sworn to serve. When Robert commanded that he and his brother stop fighting, The Hound almost lost his head because he not only stopped, but kneeled and bowed his head, leaving himself completely defenseless to The Mountain's sword. What was up with that?

While watching this fight, I realized that Littlefinger telling Sansa the story of the brothers' bitter history in the last episode was an effective move because knowing their history gave additional insight into to why Sandor would take on his brother this way. I absolutely loved that Loras made sure that Sandor got the appreciation he was due by raising his hand in victory -- even though poor Sandor looked like he desperately wanted to be somewhere else.

Bran's scene with Maester Luwin continues to do something that GoT has been so good at and that's using one scene to share info about several different storylines and characters. For instance, although the focus was on Maester Luwin teaching Bran, we found out more about the Greyjoys and more about the sayings of the houses of the Seven Kingdoms. We also got more into on the Dothraki by finding out that the boys start learning to use bow and arrows on horseback at four years old.

Even the sex scenes are more than just about the sex. Theon and Ros' scene showed that even though he's been fostered with the Starks since he was a small child, being their ward continues to bother him -- a lot. That scene also showed that Ros is no pushover. Renly and Loras' scene provided insight into Renly's relationship with his brothers, Robert and Stannis (who I supposed we'll see at some point). They see him as too soft, but Loras believes the people would rather have Renly as king because of his pragmatism and kindness and pushes him to consider this. Loras even offers the backing of his family's money. Interesting how everyone sees Joffrey as a monster who shouldn't rule, but Cersei. She either has blinders on or she believes she can shape him into the type of leader she wants him to be.

I found Varys' scenes with Ned and later with Illyrio Mopatis puzzling because I can't tell if he honestly believes that the Seven Kingdoms would be better under someone other than Robert, who he sees as a "fool", or if he's supporting a return to Targaryen rule because he's been promised more power than he currently has.

The scene where Arya discovers Varys and Mopatis' disturbing conversation was another in a long line of scenes that was used to maximum effect. That one scene managed to follow-up on the thread of Arya's lessons from Syrio by showing her studying the moves of a cat as he had suggested and it reminded us that dragons had really existed once by showing that incredible visual of the bones of a dragon's head. Bones so large that Arya was able to hide within them.

All of this was done within the context of the primary focus of her scene, which was her overhearing a discussion where killing her father was mentioned as well as upcoming wars between groups that confused her - wolves, lions and savages. When she later told Ned what she had overheard he was beginning to believe her and I wonder what would have happened if Yoren had not arrived to tell Ned that Catelyn had taken Tyrion and that wheels were already in motion that would cause additional danger to the Starks.

Catelyn's taking of Tyrion continues to get messier and messier. Even though she brought the current situation on herself, I felt sorry for her when she realized how insane her sister Lysa was. I suspect that she had already started questioning whether Tyrion was responsible for the attempt on Bran's life, but seeing how unstable her sister had become opened her eyes even more. The visual of the view from Tyrion's cell was stunning and terrifying. And, I loved seeing the graphics of Eyrie for the first time. Also, the mercenary Bronn is a hoot. I can see why Tyrion is beginning to like him - he makes no apologies for being all about the money and Tyrion has plenty of money.

The scene between Cersei and Robert was also used well because it gave a clear picture of just how doomed their marriage had always been -- she had feelings for him in the beginning, but he had always loved his first love and saw marriage to her as a duty. And, it showed that while Cersei may have blinders on where her son Joffrey is concerned, she is well aware that her brother Jaime wouldn't make a good hand of the king because he's not "serious" enough for the post. I felt sorry for each of these ruthless people because they brought out the worst in each other.

Another thing I loved about this episode was how present Khal Drogo, the Dothraki and the Targaryens were, even though they were never shown. The fear that everyone had about them uniting was palpable. Robert's comment likening the kingdom to five separate fingers that paled in comparison to the power of the single fist of the Dothraki was a strong analogy. This also lent weight to Joffrey's earlier concerns where he complained that the Seven Kingdoms should have a strong, central standing army united behind the king instead of individual armies that are loyal to their local kingdoms first and the crown second. Joffrey may be a crazy little idiot, but he was on the money about this.

When Ned refused to go along with Robert's plan to kill Danenerys and gave up his position and then prepared to get out of King's Landing immediately, I had a glimmer of hope that he would survive this, but then Littlefinger made him an offer he couldn't refuse by promising to take him to the last person to see Jon Arryn alive. Jon knew too much and now Ned was following in his footsteps.

During Jaime's confrontation with Ned and the killing of Ned's men (poor Jory Cassel!), I kept getting flashbacks to the scenes of him with his family in the first episode and remembering how worried both he and Catelyn were about how going to King's Landing would affect them.
                sigpic
                Sig by Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by maxbo View Post
                  Wow! This episode linked a lot of issues that were brewing or raised in earlier episodes. I had already planned to have a re-watch marathon at the end of the season and this episode just reinforced why that's a good idea. I tend to watch the episodes more than once and each time I notice something that I missed earlier.

When I watched Ned being so open about his concerns about how and why Jon Arryn's former squire quickly became a knight after Arryn's death I was thinking that this man is too straightforward and honorable for his own good. Since Ser Barristan Selmy also has a reputation of being an honorable man, I could sort of understand why Ned would be so open about his concerns with him, but he didn't know the nuns who were preparing Hugh's body, so he should have been a bit more cautious. The poor guy is not cut out for court intrigue. I enjoyed getting a bit more of an overview of who Barristan is and was when Ned commented on his skill and reputation as a warrior.

In the scene where Ned enters to find poor Lancel trying to stuff Robert's fat ass and big gut into a too small suit of amour, I was surprised to discover that Cersei was the one who insisted that Lancel become Robert's squire. Until I realized that having a Lannister be so close to Robert was probably the best way for her to keep tabs on him. I alternated between being irritated with Robert and feeling sorry for him because the reality of being king was not what he thought it would be.

After Hugh's bloody goring in the last episode, I didn't know what to expect during the tournament for this episode, especially since The Mountain was still around. Yes, there was more blood (poor pretty, horsey) and also more all around kick-ass moments. I enjoyed the smaller moments like Ser Loras playing to the crowd by giving the impressionable, infatuated Sansa a rose and the verbal sparring between Renly and Littlefinger over betting on the match between Loras and Gregor and Renly's plans for Loras after the match.

I was shocked that Loras won until I rewatched and realized that, as Littlefinger said, Loras cheated. The best part of the tournament for me was when The Hound took on The Mountain. Joffrey's bloodthirsty joy while watching this fight was in stark contrast to the reactions of horror and surprise of the other viewers. The way the fight ended made me very curious to know more about The Hound because he has an almost slavish commitment to those that he has sworn to serve. When Robert commanded that he and his brother stop fighting, The Hound almost lost his head because he not only stopped, but kneeled and bowed his head, leaving himself completely defenseless to The Mountain's sword. What was up with that?

While watching this fight, I realized that Littlefinger telling Sansa the story of the brothers' bitter history in the last episode was an effective move because knowing their history gave additional insight into to why Sandor would take on his brother this way. I absolutely loved that Loras made sure that Sandor got the appreciation he was due by raising his hand in victory -- even though poor Sandor looked like he desperately wanted to be somewhere else.

Bran's scene with Maester Luwin continues to do something that GoT has been so good at and that's using one scene to share info about several different storylines and characters. For instance, although the focus was on Maester Luwin teaching Bran, we found out more about the Greyjoys and more about the sayings of the houses of the Seven Kingdoms. We also got more into on the Dothraki by finding out that the boys start learning to use bow and arrows on horseback at four years old.

Even the sex scenes are more than just about the sex. Theon and Ros' scene showed that even though he's been fostered with the Starks since he was a small child, being their ward continues to bother him -- a lot. That scene also showed that Ros is no pushover. Renly and Loras' scene provided insight into Renly's relationship with his brothers, Robert and Stannis (who I supposed we'll see at some point). They see him as too soft, but Loras believes the people would rather have Renly as king because of his pragmatism and kindness and pushes him to consider this. Loras even offers the backing of his family's money. Interesting how everyone sees Joffrey as a monster who shouldn't rule, but Cersei. She either has blinders on or she believes she can shape him into the type of leader she wants him to be.

I found Varys' scenes with Ned and later with Illyrio Mopatis puzzling because I can't tell if he honestly believes that the Seven Kingdoms would be better under someone other than Robert, who he sees as a "fool", or if he's supporting a return to Targaryen rule because he's been promised more power than he currently has.

The scene where Arya discovers Varys and Mopatis' disturbing conversation was another in a long line of scenes that was used to maximum effect. That one scene managed to follow-up on the thread of Arya's lessons from Syrio by showing her studying the moves of a cat as he had suggested and it reminded us that dragons had really existed once by showing that incredible visual of the bones of a dragon's head. Bones so large that Arya was able to hide within them.

All of this was done within the context of the primary focus of her scene, which was her overhearing a discussion where killing her father was mentioned as well as upcoming wars between groups that confused her - wolves, lions and savages. When she later told Ned what she had overheard he was beginning to believe her and I wonder what would have happened if Yoren had not arrived to tell Ned that Catelyn had taken Tyrion and that wheels were already in motion that would cause additional danger to the Starks.

Catelyn's taking of Tyrion continues to get messier and messier. Even though she brought the current situation on herself, I felt sorry for her when she realized how insane her sister Lysa was. I suspect that she had already started questioning whether Tyrion was responsible for the attempt on Bran's life, but seeing how unstable her sister had become opened her eyes even more. The visual of the view from Tyrion's cell was stunning and terrifying. And, I loved seeing the graphics of Eyrie for the first time. Also, the mercenary Bronn is a hoot. I can see why Tyrion is beginning to like him - he makes no apologies for being all about the money and Tyrion has plenty of money.

The scene between Cersei and Robert was also used well because it gave a clear picture of just how doomed their marriage had always been -- she had feelings for him in the beginning, but he had always loved his first love and saw marriage to her as a duty. And, it showed that while Cersei may have blinders on where her son Joffrey is concerned, she is well aware that her brother Jaime wouldn't make a good hand of the king because he's not "serious" enough for the post. I felt sorry for each of these ruthless people because they brought out the worst in each other.

Another thing I loved about this episode was how present Khal Drogo, the Dothraki and the Targaryens were, even though they were never shown. The fear that everyone had about them uniting was palpable. Robert's comment likening the kingdom to five separate fingers that paled in comparison to the power of the single fist of the Dothraki was a strong analogy. This also lent weight to Joffrey's earlier concerns where he complained that the Seven Kingdoms should have a strong, central standing army united behind the king instead of individual armies that are loyal to their local kingdoms first and the crown second. Joffrey may be a crazy little idiot, but he was on the money about this.

When Ned refused to go along with Robert's plan to kill Danenerys and gave up his position and then prepared to get out of King's Landing immediately, I had a glimmer of hope that he would survive this, but then Littlefinger made him an offer he couldn't refuse by promising to take him to the last person to see Jon Arryn alive. Jon knew too much and now Ned was following in his footsteps.

During Jaime's confrontation with Ned and the killing of Ned's men (poor Jory Cassel!), I kept getting flashbacks to the scenes of him with his family in the first episode and remembering how worried both he and Catelyn were about how going to King's Landing would affect them.
                  Another excellent review. There's more Ser Barristan, The Hound and Bronn in the coming eps. Especially Bronn in episode 6. With regard to Varys he's a very enigmatic figure, and it's often hard to work out whether he after personnel power, or what he's sees as best for the 7 Kingdoms. What is clear is he's playing all sides.

Now on to episode 6! I can't promise you open war quite yet, but it's slipping towards it. There is no reset button in GOT and the fact that Lannisters and Starks are now fighting on the streets of King's Landing will have serious consequences.

Comment

Another excellent review. There's more Ser Barristan, The Hound and Bronn in the coming eps. Especially Bronn in episode 6. With regard to Varys he's a very enigmatic figure, and it's often hard to work out whether he after personnel power, or what he's sees as best for the 7 Kingdoms. What is clear is he's playing all sides.

Now on to episode 6! I can't promise you open war quite yet, but it's slipping towards it. There is no reset button in GOT and the fact that Lannisters and Starks are now fighting on the streets of King's Landing will have serious consequences.
                    Good to know that there's more of Ser Barristan, The Hound and Bronn to come. Although I haven't read the books yet, I've taken note of the various semi-spoilers from those who have and know not expect resets, so I'm prepared. In fact, I'm looking forward to the lack of resets because that adds to the tension.

Yes, Varys is certainly working all sides, isn't he? This is what makes his scenes with Littlefinger so fascinating to watch because they share this trait. Now, I'm also wondering what Littlefinger ultimate goal is because he's sure to have one.

I'm hoping to catch up by tomorrow or at least before next week's episode. I just wish GateWorld's forum section wasn't so slow for me - accessing the front page is fine, but I need extreme patience whenever I access the forums. Very annoying!
                    sigpic
                    Sig by Luciana

Comment

Working...
                    X