• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Wolf and the Lion (105)

Visit the Episode GuideGAME OF THRONES - SEASON ONE
    THE WOLF AND THE LION
    EPISODE NUMBER - 105
    King Robert learns of the Targaryen alliance with the Dothrakis, and fractures his relationship with Ned by ordering the assassination of Daenerys. Lady Catelyn brings Tyrion to her sister for justice, despite his protests of innocence. Sansa's eye is caught by a handsome knight, and Jaime Lannister confronts Ned about his brother's capture.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 06 October 2011, 11:23 AM.

This. Right here. This. Was just. Oh my God. Like, wow.

I mean, the start of the episode was epic enough - the Hound Vs the Mountain, the poor horse getting sliced, and then the battle up in the mountains with Tyrion's epic shield bashing skills - but the end was just. I gotta say it again: Wow. When this show - and the book before it - goes all out, it goes all out. Actions have consequences, and Jaime up and stabs Jory through the eye like it's nothing and would've probably killed Ned if not for that guardsmen with the spear ruining the moment. Another great Jamie moment: he punches out the guy that lost him out on an honourable kill with Ned.

So yeah, I think this show is now officially my favouritest ever on pure Holy **** Quotient. It's always a sign of great TV that an ending has me muttering to myself, "Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God" for five minutes.

And heh, Arya getting mistaken for a boy twice. Classic. Arya, Tyrion and Littlefinger were awesome as always.
    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

I just finished watching the episode about 15 minutes ago and an encore presentation will be on in about 25 minutes. I'm definitely on for the re-watch. This was one of those episodes that just makes your jaw drop because everything about it worked. For me, I think every single scene worked, with not a single minute being uninteresting in any way. The dialogue, the scenery, the action, pacing... it ALL clicked on this one.
      sigpic

Comment

Well violence, gore, sex and disturbing images seem to have decided that having only appeared every so often in the last 4 eps, enough was enough and they were going to be large and in charge now

Phew we had horse decapitation, various throats cut, knife to the eye, spear to the leg, shield to the face, gay sex, straight sex and of course, the creepiest thing in the ep, disturbing breast feeding. Yet despite all this, it was pleasing that they find time for much more subtle scenes as well, like Cersei and Robert talking and Varys and Littlefingers verbal sparring. In fact the latter was probably my favourite scene of the ep.

Just an awesome ep, I could go on about it all day and probably will.

Best episode yet.

Comment

Great episode.

re: Robert and Cersei talking
          Was that in the book? I don't remember...nice scene, tho'.

re: the Eyrie
          Wow. They didn't hold back in making it look...high.
          I loved the 'prison cell'.
          (where was the 'moon door', again?)
          And, yeah, Cat's sister's crazy was portrayed well (definitely creepy breastfeeding)
          It's also quite cool how the intro changes to reflect new locations.

re: Tyrion
          I really like it when he speaks: awesome comes out of his mouth.
          That guy fighting with them was Bronn, right?

re: Littlefinger
          I loved that exchange w/ Varys. I also like how he always seems to be oh so close to Sansa...
          I didn't pay as much attention to the character in the book, but I'm really liking Baelish in the mini-series.

re: Arya

re: The Mountain and the Hound

Loved that bit when Sandor kneeled and 'evaded' his brother's sword.

There was ONE MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT!
          ...when the screen went black and the credits started.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
            Great episode.

re: Robert and Cersei talking
            Was that in the book? I don't remember...nice scene, tho'.

re: the Eyrie
            Wow. They didn't hold back in making it look...high.
            I loved the 'prison cell'.
            (where was the 'moon door', again?)
            And, yeah, Cat's sister's crazy was portrayed well (definitely creepy breastfeeding)
            It's also quite cool how the intro changes to reflect new locations.

re: Tyrion
            I really like it when he speaks: awesome comes out of his mouth.
            That guy fighting with them was Bronn, right?

re: Littlefinger
            I loved that exchange w/ Varys. I also like how he always seems to be oh so close to Sansa...
            I didn't pay as much attention to the character in the book, but I'm really liking Baelish in the mini-series.

re: Arya

re: The Mountain and the Hound

Loved that bit when Sandor kneeled and 'evaded' his brother's sword.

There was ONE MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT!
            ...when the screen went black and the credits started.
            Yeah this is pretty much my reaction as well.

I think the scene with Robert and Cersei talking was added. Great bit though. And yes that was Bronn with Tyrion, loved their little back and forth comments.

Comment

Can't next week be NOW already?!?

I want to get to the second season already.

I also liked that bit where Bran was studying the map and the houses. "We Do Not Sow"
              Oh, and I want that map.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
                Can't next week be NOW already?!?

I want to get to the second season already.
                Yup, that's the worse thing. We now have to sit around a wait for a week, a whole bloody week before we get another dose of pure awesome. I swear GOT is like crack.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                  Yup, that's the worse thing. We now have to sit around a wait for a week, a whole bloody week before we get another dose of pure awesome. I swear GOT is like crack.
                  Sweet, delicious, crack.
                  ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
                    Sweet, delicious, crack.
                    Sweet delicious crack that delivers. Too many shows promise some sort of epic game changing confrontation, for instance the Sopranos and there would often be some threat of mob war, but usually the status quo would be in place by the end of the season. People might die, there would be some major events, but some sort of normalcy would return.

With GOT we have just seen the start. It's oft repeated on the show "Winter is Coming" and "there's a War Coming" and without wanting to spoil anything all I'll say is the show is leading up to some major confrontations and there will be no status quo.

Comment

Sweet delicious crack that delivers. Too many shows promise some sort of epic game changing confrontation, for instance the Sopranos and there would often be some threat of mob war, but usually the status quo would be in place by the end of the season. People might die, there would be some major events, but some sort of normalcy would return.

With GOT we have just seen the start. It's oft repeated on the show "Winter is Coming" and "there's a War Coming" and without wanting to spoil anything all I'll say is the show is leading up to some major confrontations and there will be no status quo.
                      I just love going in spoiler-free, too. It makes for such an awesome reaction.

Also, just finished my rewatch. Few more favourite lines/moments to put up in the thread, but I'll say this here: For some strange reason - Lena Hadley, mostly - I really wanted to give Cersei a hug during her scene with Robert. Damn this show for making me all sympathetic with the evil bastards too.

Comment

Damn this show for making me all sympathetic with the evil bastards too.
                        Hmm on the other hand Jaime killing Jory was a bit of a kick the Dog moment. They had a nice chat previously, two soldiers reminiscing, but then when it comes to the crunch, he gets one in the eye, quick as that, from Jaime.

Comment

Hmm on the other hand Jaime killing Jory was a bit of a kick the Dog moment. They had a nice chat previously, two soldiers reminiscing, but then when it comes to the crunch, he gets one in the eye, quick as that, from Jaime.
                          Forgot about that, so ouch to Jory. I also wondered if there was a bit of irony about Jory staring at the blonde whore right before he got stabbed to death through one of those staring eyes...

Comment

Damn this show for making me all sympathetic with the evil bastards too.
                            One thing unique about this story is that there's no real clean-cut "good" or "evil." It's all shades of grey, except perhaps the Starks who seem to be the most honorable of the lot. But even then they have their flaws too. Daenerys ain't exactly "evil" considering that she's technically one of the rightful rulers of the Seven Kingdoms. Her father Aerys and her brother Rhaegar, from what I know of them, were just whacked guys just like Viserys. The same could be said for Tyrion. Despite being a Lannister, he seems to follow a certain code of his own. The only ones who might be consistently "evil" are perhaps Cersei and Jaime but even then they're portrayed sympathetically at times as well.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                              One thing unique about this story is that there's no real clean-cut "good" or "evil." It's all shades of grey, except perhaps the Starks who seem to be the most honorable of the lot. But even then they have their flaws too. Daenerys ain't exactly "evil" considering that she's technically one of the rightful rulers of the Seven Kingdoms. Her father Aerys and her brother Rhaegar, from what I know of them, were just whacked guys just like Viserys. The same could be said for Tyrion. Despite being a Lannister, he seems to follow a certain code of his own. The only ones who might be consistently "evil" are perhaps Cersei and Jaime but even then they're portrayed sympathetically at times as well.
                              Yeah even the Starks aren't perfect. Catlyn is a bit nuts, thanks to her dragging Tyrion off she's caused the current trouble between the Starks and the Lannisters. Indirectly she caused Jory's death. And she's not very nice to Jon Snow even though it's hardly his fault. And Ned with his precious honour, the Small Council has a point, it would be a disaster if the Drothraki ever reached the Seven Kingdoms, but Ned would let that happen to keep his honour intact. And where was his honour when he was unfaithful in the past?

In Jaime's case meanwhile these nutty Starks have just dragged his beloved brother off for no good reason. Wouldn't you be angry and want to get him back?

The show is great about each character being very grey and having very complex motivations. Excpet maybe for Gregor Clegane. That guys just a monster.

Comment

Working...
                              X