Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game of Thrones Books (Spoilers for everything)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
    I haven't had much time for reading as some real-life adventures have left me reeling and exhausted. I just finished the chapter "The Lost Lord."

Spoiler:
    OK WTF?! All of a sudden I'm looking at Dany and what's happened to her in all the books a bit differently. I'm wondering now whether the Azor Ahai prophecy can refer to the Targaryen family in general. Three heads, one dragon.
    That's a coincidence - I just started that chapter!
    "There is only one universe. It can only contain one life. It is me." - MorningLightMountain

Comment

OK, I haven't read any spoilers. I'm now on Tyrion's chapter after "The Wayward Bride." I have to quote Star Wars. "I have a bad feeling about this."
      With each passing chapter, I've got this ugly feeling that Meereen is going to be an absolute cluster**** for Dany... and I don't say that lightly.
      Spoiler:
      Drogon and the brood eating kids and animals at random, the Thirteen declaring war on her (especially with all those ships they're supposed to have), and then those damned Harpy's Sons... *sigh*

She and Jon have consistently been my favorites so far but I can't shake this feeling that things are really going to fall to pieces for these two.
      sigpic

Comment

I've just started reading SoS, but I have questions about the second book. Is it explained how Jaquen got in a prison? And did Yoren really know who Jaquen really is?(that's why he was in chains)
        Stolen Kosovo
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
          I've just started reading SoS, but I have questions about the second book. Is it explained how Jaquen got in a prison? And did Yoren really know who Jaquen really is?(that's why he was in chains)
          If I remember correctly there is no explanation on how Jaquen got into prison, but since Yoren "found" him in the black cells his crime must have been severe, which is the reason why he was chained up.

Comment

just finished the third book. I can't wait to see Red wedding and Cat from epilogue on the screen. There was an outrage after Ned's execution but this time the internet will explode
            Stolen Kosovo
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
              just finished the third book. I can't wait to see Red wedding and Cat from epilogue on the screen. There was an outrage after Ned's execution but this time the internet will explode
              GRRM has suggested that he may need to be out of the country when that airs, just to avoid the reactions.

Comment

Finished ADWD. Really enjoyed it, a much better read than Feast, although it doesn't live up to the earlier novels. The pacing is a little mixed, with some sections barrellnig along with big revelations and nice twists, then there are huge portions where the story seems to stop dead.

Spoiler:
                GRRM has been famously talking about all the problems that the "Mereenese knot" has caused him, wherein a large number of characters are all arriving at Mereen at the same time and chronologically it was tough to sort out - I'm quite confused, because although there were many people travelling to Mereen thoughout, the only one who actually arrived was Quentyn. I felt quite a let down, just waiting for Tyrion, Jorah, Aegon and Victarion to all present themselves to her, and they never got anywhere. It felt like they were being delayed for no good reason when the story could have really moved forward.

Favourite POVs - Barristan was great! I also loved seeing Davos again, but why end his and Bran's chapters so early in the book? I think it was pointless to include Melissandre and Jaime since they only had one chapter each (seriously, the Jaime one could have easily been included in Feast) - give us more, George. It became frustrating to read so many Dany and Jon chapters where nothing seemed to be moving forward, when we could have been enjoying other characters.
                Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

Originally posted by Shylodog View Post
                  Ok, so it was my fault for reading the spoilers halfway through ADwD. But I gotta say some of you guys' speculations threw me way off...

Spoiler:
                  I don't think Stannis has been caught at all. All we've seen is The Bastard's nasty little note claiming that he is. What we DO know is that the freak's got Mance and his ladies and has probably been flaying them for info. Other than that, I don't believe for a second he's actually got Stannis (especially since he doesn't know where Theon and Jeyne are - and knows nothing about Asha).

Also, I don't think Jon is dead. He's been shanked enough times, but all we know is that he's lost consciousness.

I'm still very confused about Dany's bleeding. Maybe the witch cast a spell on Dany to prevent her from having a child, or maybe the berries Dany ate are the core ingredient for Moon Tea. Either way, it DOES seem like she miscarried, but I just can't tell for sure.

Still have to read the epilogue, but all-in-all it was a fun ride.
                  Spoiler:
                  Stannis probably isn't dead yet, but for some reason I can't see him being alive for much longer (that might just be because I really don't care that much about the character). Maybe Ramsay doesn't have him, but might have been badly injured or something. I can see Stannis being the pov prologue chapter of the next book. I hope Ramsay gets the epilogue chapter, and in it he learns what it feels like to be flayed by Theon.

I loved Theon's chapters in ADWD, especially the ones Winterfell. They were so well written and haunting, I got a little teary eyed at him remembering his time with Robb and the other Starks. I was never a Robb fan, but reading Theon's thoughts about him really made me feel sad that Robb was dead.

Jon's not dead, and if he is dead he isn't going to stay that way for long. Ghost being safely(for now) locked away in Jon's room, pretty much gives Jon a safe place to go to, if his body does die or is out of comission for awhile until it can be healed.

Dany's bleeding seemed like a miscarriage to me, because she was thinking that she couldn't remember the last time she had her period; but I guess it could bee some disease she picked up, or a just bad reaction to the berries.

Originally posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
                  Finished ADWD. Really enjoyed it, a much better read than Feast, although it doesn't live up to the earlier novels. The pacing is a little mixed, with some sections barrellnig along with big revelations and nice twists, then there are huge portions where the story seems to stop dead.

Spoiler:
                  GRRM has been famously talking about all the problems that the "Mereenese knot" has caused him, wherein a large number of characters are all arriving at Mereen at the same time and chronologically it was tough to sort out - I'm quite confused, because although there were many people travelling to Mereen thoughout, the only one who actually arrived was Quentyn. I felt quite a let down, just waiting for Tyrion, Jorah, Aegon and Victarion to all present themselves to her, and they never got anywhere. It felt like they were being delayed for no good reason when the story could have really moved forward.

Favourite POVs - Barristan was great! I also loved seeing Davos again, but why end his and Bran's chapters so early in the book? I think it was pointless to include Melissandre and Jaime since they only had one chapter each (seriously, the Jaime one could have easily been included in Feast) - give us more, George. It became frustrating to read so many Dany and Jon chapters where nothing seemed to be moving forward, when we could have been enjoying other characters.
                  Spoiler:
                  I guess all the characters that were on their way to meet Dany, need to meet her at certain points during her character development so that she'll react to them they way she needs to for some plot to work; and in order for her character to develop, she had to spend some time trying to rule in Meereen. Even though Dany learning how not to rule Meereen was a bit tedious to read through, it did develop her character; and she at least realized that, even though, she may be good at conquering, but she sucks as a ruler. She didn't have any experience in ruling anything; dragons and her army of Dorthaki and unsullied made her a good conqueror even if she lacked experience, but they weren't much help when it came to settling down and ruling(especially since she locked up the dragons). I was actually glad that she didn't end up being a good ruler, and that she did make mistakes(I personally thought it made sense for her character); that even though she is "blood of the dragon" or whatever, doesn't mean she'll instantly be good at everything she does, and that everyone else will automatically love her and want to be ruled by her. I do believe that she did want to help people, but there was no easy way to go about it, and she wasn't prepared for that. I hope the Dorthaki she meets up with at the end of ADWD, don't fall at her feet at the start of the next book, just so she can have a bloodthirsty horde at her back primed for the invasion of Westeros. Actually, that wouldn't be so bad though(imo), as long as she doesn't still see herself as some benevolent savior, out to right the "injustices" done to her family in the past, so she could take her rightful place as Queen of Westeros. I don't really like Dany, so some of my feelings/observations about her and her actions are biased against her even when I try to be objective.

Jon' s story kind of paralell Dany's in that they are both learning how to lead people, but his character is almost opposite hers in his attitude, and in the way he goes about dealing with things. I've always liked Jon's attitude, and the way he does things a whole lot better than Dany's, so I actually enjoyed his chapters a lot. I agreed with most of his decisions or at least the logic behind his decisions. He did make mistakes too though, and he suffered the consequences of them.

I think Melisandre's POV was needed in order to see her fire visions through her eyes,(because what she sees, and how others hear and interpret what she says are different); and also to a lesser extent(imo) see what kind of a character she is and what her motivations are, otherwise I'd agree that there was no reason to give her a POV chapter. Melisandre's doesn't always interpret her visions correctly, because her knowledge is limited to her perspective.

I also thought that Jaime's chapter either shouldn't have been included in this book, or that there should have been more to it. I would have also liked more Davos and Bran chapters. I loved Arya's chapters, and wished there were more of those too. I didn't enjoy Tyrion's chapters as much as I usually do, but I still like the character.
                  sigpic

Comment

I just finished ADWD and it felt even slower than Feast. It's not that the book is bad, but compared to the first three I found it wanting. Especially the Mereenese plot seemed to drag on and on and on without much of anything happening. Still a good book though and I hope we won't have to wait quite es long on the next one.

Among other things the epilogue got me thinking ...

Spoiler:

Varys explains his motives stating that he is acting for the good of the realm. Given the circumstances we have every reason to believe that he is telling the truth. Afterall why should he lie to a dieing man with no other listeners present ?

What I wonder is. Why does he think that all the death and destruction that the war of the five kings has caused (and which he helped orchestrate) is good for the realm ? Sure, weakening the seven kingdoms is required if Aegon wants to ascend the throne, but why does he think that putting a Targaryen on the throne is worth it for the realm ?

Comment

Originally posted by Selina View Post
                      I just finished ADWD and it felt even slower than Feast. It's not that the book is bad, but compared to the first three I found it wanting. Especially the Mereenese plot seemed to drag on and on and on without much of anything happening. Still a good book though and I hope we won't have to wait quite es long on the next one.

Among other things the epilogue got me thinking ...

Spoiler:

Varys explains his motives stating that he is acting for the good of the realm. Given the circumstances we have every reason to believe that he is telling the truth. Afterall why should he lie to a dieing man with no other listeners present ?

What I wonder is. Why does he think that all the death and destruction that the war of the five kings has caused (and which he helped orchestrate) is good for the realm ? Sure, weakening the seven kingdoms is required if Aegon wants to ascend the throne, but why does he think that putting a Targaryen on the throne is worth it for the realm ?
                      The first 3 books were the best(imo), ASoS is my favorite; but I like ADwD, and I liked it better than Feast, probably because I love all things in the books having to do with the North and the Wall. I hope the wait til the next book isn't a long one either.

Spoiler:
                      Varys may have been telling the truth about Aegon really being Aegon and doing it all for the good of the realm. I do think that he believes what he is doing is for the best, but I'm not sure I believe the Aegon bit. I think he wants him to rule because Aegon has been taught what Varys thinks is necessary to be a good ruler, and being a Targaryen would give him a claim to the throne.

Kevan wan't the only one there, the children were there, anything he said might have been for their benefit, and not necessarily entirely truthful.
                      sigpic

Comment

I just finished A Dance with Dragons earlier tonight. I have a headache now.

Goodness so much happened in this book. I liked it a whole lot better than A Feast for Crows, thats for sure. The pacing in Feast got tedious for me, to be honest. Without Tyrion, Dany, and Jon at the forefront, that book took me forever to finish. This one though, I enjoyed a lot.

Spoiler:
                        Daenerys: This is the greatest setback she's faced since losing Drogo back in book 1. Meereen was a total cluster****, as I suspected it would be. But given how Varys is making out Aegon to be an apparently good ruler, Dany's role is clear. She's not a ruler. At least, not yet anyway. That's Aegon's turf. She's shown inherent skills at fighting, conquering, and the ways of war. This has been shown again and again throughout the books with the victories she's amassed against adversaries like the Qartheen warlocks, outwitting the Yunkish slavers at Astapor, and even at the very beginning of her story, standing up against Viserys and executing Mirri Maz Duur. If she musters what's left of the people loyal to her, including the Ghiscari loyal to her at Meereen, she'll give Aegon some heavy reinforcements when he take's Storm's End. I think the Unsullied and all of her troops would daunt even the fiercest knights in Westeros.

But to do all of this, she needs to somehow get back to Meereen from Drogon's lair. With Jhaqo's khalasar at the very end, it's going to be a difficult journey back. I wish there were a map of the Dothraki Sea and the surrounding lands so we could get an idea of where everything is. The map of Slavery's Bay is nice but I was hoping for something more comprehensive showing Essos.

I thought hallucinations/epiphanies Dany had at the very end were incredibly compelling. I can empathize with what happened to her actually since I nearly died in the Utah desert over 4 years ago due to dehydration and heatstroke. GRRM got that part down very well.

Jon: He ain't dead. I refuse to believe he's dead. Having said that, I think the next thing up North is the Wall. It's coming down. No doubt about it in my mind now. With Jon and his plan to ally the Night's Watch with the Wildings against the Others out of the way, some fool is going to blow the Horn of Winter and everybody's pretty much going to be screwed. But I think that's going to be necessary. The Others approach from the Wall with the North in disarray while Aegon and Dany approach from the South. Inevitably ice and fire are going to meet up... and have an interesting party.

My favorite moment: This will seem vindictive to some but Cersei being utterly humiliated and broken in public was by far the most satisfying thing for me to read in the past 5 books. With so many people suffering due to her machinations, not the least of which would be Sansa and the Starks, I felt no pity for her whatsoever and honestly I'd probably be one of the people throwing food at her given what she's said and done.

Tragic moment: Quentyn. *shakes head and sighs* Dude, you are NOT the blood of the dragon. The only reason Dany ever got away with whipping Viserion or Rhaegal was because the dragon brood thought of Dany as their mother in an instinctual way. They'd never tolerate anybody but her doing that. But... *sigh*. Dany needs that dragon horn or she'll never keep the brood in line.

Wishlist: Theon (I refuse to call him Reek) and/or some of the Starks flaying Ramsay Bolton and the rest of his damned house.

Predictions: I picture Arya growing in strength and beginning to exhibit supernatural abilities superior to her siblings. Killing the insurance dude was slick, but I think she's destined to pull off much bigger hits in the future. As for the whole Azor Ahai prophecy, I think that it refers to not just Aegon, but applies Dany too and perhaps their entire family. Given how their sigil is a 3-headed dragon, I wouldn't be surprised if there's another Targaryen floating around out there somewhere.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                          Spoiler:
                          Predictions: I picture Arya growing in strength and beginning to exhibit supernatural abilities superior to her siblings. Killing the insurance dude was slick, but I think she's destined to pull off much bigger hits in the future. As for the whole Azor Ahai prophecy, I think that it refers to not just Aegon, but applies Dany too and perhaps their entire family. Given how their sigil is a 3-headed dragon, I wouldn't be surprised if there's another Targaryen floating around out there somewhere.

Spoiler:
                          At a guess, I'm going to say Tyrion as another Targaryen. Tyrion or Jon, but I'm less inclined to believe it's Jon. Unless Jon's mother was actually a Targaryen and we haven't been told yet. Even King Robert hadn't a clue who Jon's mother was. But Tyrion has been explained to exhibit a certain Targaryen trait: he has one violet eye. It would also explain why his father loathed him so much. Tywin would have been far too proud to accuse his own wife of adultry, and who's to say he didn't actually kill her when the child was born?

Just my educated guesses at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Shylodog View Post
                            Spoiler:
                            At a guess, I'm going to say Tyrion as another Targaryen. Tyrion or Jon, but I'm less inclined to believe it's Jon. Unless Jon's mother was actually a Targaryen and we haven't been told yet. Even King Robert hadn't a clue who Jon's mother was. But Tyrion has been explained to exhibit a certain Targaryen trait: he has one violet eye. It would also explain why his father loathed him so much. Tywin would have been far too proud to accuse his own wife of adultry, and who's to say he didn't actually kill her when the child was born?

Just my educated guesses at this point.
                            Spoiler:
                            I would say that Tyrion has more chance of being a Targaryen (or at least partially if your theory is correct) than Jon. Jon is definitely not a dragon: He has no immunity to fire and I don't remember anything describing any Targaryen traits.
                            sigpic

Comment

Regarding Tyrion, Jon, and Arya, along with some stuff from ADwD and some speculation.

Spoiler:
                              Aerys did have a thing for Tyrion's mother so it is possible that he might have gotten her pregnant(by rape or consent).

I still think that Jon might by Lyanna's child by Rhaegar. I've thought that pretty much since I read the part in the first book when Ned remamber(or dreams about?) finding his sister dying. There were three(?) Kingsguards outside the tower, and Lyanna made Ned promise her something. Ned claiming her child(by Rhaegar) as his bastard(by some random woman) would have kept him safe from Robert. Either way Jon is a Stark and of the north, and thats just as good(or better) than being a dragon.(imo)

As of now I don't quite believe that Young Griff is Aegon Targaryan. Just because he's got the right coloring, and Vary's says he's Aegon, doesn't sell me on him being the real Aegon yet.

I love Arya, and I love her training with the Faceless Men. For some reason I can see her meeting up with Dany while she(Dany) is on her way to Westeros. Either as an assassin on her way to give Dany the gift, or as herself trying to get back to her remaining family after leaving the Faceless Men. I guess I just want her to run into Dany(or someone with at dragon) so she can try to warg into a dragon. I wonder if she can do that, or maybe Jon can(if he's not dead, and I really don't believe he is)
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
                                Spoiler:
                                ...I wonder if she can do that, or maybe Jon can(if he's not dead, and I really don't believe he is)
                                Spoiler:
                                This is my thought. We know that Targaryan's can be burned (Viserys), but none can warg so far as we know. We know Jon can warg, so that could be important in controlling the dragons. But only if he's of the blood.

Comment

Working...
                                X