• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lord Snow (103)

Visit the Episode GuideGAME OF THRONES - SEASON ONE
    LORD SNOW
    EPISODE NUMBER - 103
    Jon Snow receives a cold welcome from the other recruits at Castle Black, but manages to impress Tyrion Lannister, who has accompanied him to the wall. Ned arrives at King's Landing with his daughters, and is stunned to learn that the Crown is deep in debt. Catelyn shares her suspicions about the Lannisters with an old friend, and Viserys Targaryen discovers he can no longer control his sister.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 06 October 2011, 11:43 AM.

Another awesome episode. Moved along at a brisk pace and we got another dozen characters to digest, but it's a rich world with rich characters and it's still an awesome watch. Of the new ones this week, Littlefinger is the coolest - I like me a sneaky money man that owns a few brothels. Oh, and Arya's "dance" instructor. That guy's cool.

So yeah, every scene had some measure of awesomeness to it, I must admit. Highlights are posted in my Favourite Moments thread, but I didn't note there some of the other things I noticed on my rewatch, like the scene with King Robert - that guy's coming off as more of an unlikeable guy as time goes on, and I like it. I also liked the scene between Cersei and Joffrey - I think it might've been my favourite Joffrey scene because, while he was petulant and himself, there was still a hint of "Cersei is much worse" there, so maybe he'll get a reprieve as years go on.

Every shot of The Wall looks very impressive, and, well, cold. Some solid Jon and Tyrion stuff here, and I can only imagine how screwed Jon will be when he goes out beyond the Wall. I predict White Walkers. That'll be fun.

Oh, and Viserys got choked. That was neat.
    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Just finished it myself, another great episode. I don't know which threat has me more interested, the White Walkers or Ronon's horde.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I just finished watching the episode a few minutes ago. The shots of the forest north of the wall were impressive, especially the night shot where Tyrion was pissing off "the edge of the world."

Speaking of Tyrion, he's grabbing almost every scene he's in. His scenes at the wall, along with Jon's, were easily the highlight. I always found their "friendship" (if it could be called as such) very strange in the book but it makes sense here on the screen. I especially liked Tyrion's line about the fisherman at Lannisport seeing mermaids.

A strange moment in that episode was seeing some of the newest recruits at the Wall. One of them, with his scraggly beard, looks like the newest trainee at work.
        sigpic

Comment

I've only just started reading the books so the series is far ahead of where I currently am, so I can only speculate about everything.

Tyrion and Jon's friendship is refreshing, especially noting how the two families are seemingly taking sides opposite each other. I'm quite eager to find out what might become of the friendship and if it will be advantageous to both of them later down the road.

Cersei is just wicked and her whisperings to Joffrey I can't help but get a little dismayed about. No good thing can come of her shaping the mindset of the future king to match her own.

Arya. Omg, she's a delight to watch. I read somewhere that the actress who plays her (Maisie Williams) is actually righthanded, but for the realism of the books she uses her left instead. This makes her last scene, the 'Water Dance' that much more spectacular! One thing that had me wondering though and maybe it's because I haven't read far in the books to find out, but when Ned comes into the room to watch the training, he initially has a smile on his face as he watches. Later though, his smiles cease and a worried/concerned look takes over. What does it mean?? Argh! Is it a bad omen of things to come?

Overall, a good solid character building episode. No fights, beyond Jon at the Wall which, I might add, was spectacular to watch. I like how he's turned a corner with his fellow comrades and seems to become a leader to them, at least where their training is concerned. I greatly look forward to next weeks episode and hope I have plenty of time to catch up with my reading this week.

Comment

A good episode, lots of great little moments. Especially the "Dance" at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
              Cersei is just wicked and her whisperings to Joffrey I can't help but get a little dismayed about. No good thing can come of her shaping the mindset of the future king to match her own.
              2 characters that you will absolutely love to hate as the series goes on.

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
              A good episode, lots of great little moments. Especially the "Dance" at the end.
              Syrio is the man
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                Syrio is the man
                Miltos Yerolemou was hamming it up as Syrio, but really that’s just what the character is like. He seemed to be enjoying playing the part and it was damn enjoyable to watch.

*EDIT* Also here's HBO's behind the scenes video on episode 3.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X49yIqNRX7s
                Last edited by The Mighty 6 platoon; 02 May 2011, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Awesome episode. It feels like each episode has been getting better and better.
                  I love the scenes in the various locations, from King's Landing to the Wall.

I don't remember if it was done in the books, but I like how the fighting disciplines and differences are being given some highlight (e.g., armor vs. mobility).

I like the introduction of a fair amount of characters, too.

The scene w/ Old Nan gave a fair amount of 'atmosphere'.
                  The scene w/ Cersei and the brat was also quite good.
                  All the scenes in the Wall/Castle Black were also great.
                  Littlefinger!
                  Gah. Lots of great scenes.

Also, Syrio was great.
                  I kinda wish there was a 'birds eye view' (or a top-down, or whatever it's called) shot of the movements.
                  (as a taijijian practitioner, I enjoy seeing single hand swordplay It was quite amusing seeing Syrio gripping the sword w/ a pinky raised, w/ probably most of the strength in the thumb, index and middle fingers....whereas, I think, two-handed grips, at least the one I learned, would mostly use the ring and little fingers and a 'wringing' tension from both wrists/forearms to grip, w/ the 'upper fingers' mostly acting as 'guides')

I can't remember (and I lent out my copy of AGoT), but is there a battle in the first book?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                    Miltos Yerolemou was hamming it up as Syrio, but really that’s just what the character is like. He seemed to be enjoying playing the part and it was damn enjoyable to watch.

*EDIT* Also here's HBO's behind the scenes video on episode 3.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X49yIqNRX7s
                    Ah, thanks for that.

This is undoubtedly one of my favorite scenes for so many reasons and definitely the best way to end this episode.

Water Dance

I missed the clanging of the swords at the end, so caught up in the 'dance' but I understand now the significance of it for Ned.

Comment

enjoyable

Comment

Yet another very good episode. Great to see Syrio, Renly, Varis, Yoren, Jeor Mormont, Maester Aemon and not to forget Littlefinger
                        Outstanding performances by Maisie (Arya), Mark (King Robert), Aiden (Littlefinger), Nikolaj (Jaimie) and Sean (Ned).

Got a very busy week, so my longer review will follow soon.
                        sigpic
                        My short movie "Red Bag" / The Scifi Guys Podcast / My Twitter account

Comment

As to White Walkers- they only appear in the beggining,
                          Spoiler:
                          after that no sooner than in season three they start to show- and that day may never come (hopefully it will)

Comment

Arya rocks!

Favorite in the book - favorite in the show. Totally love her!

Just watched Lord Snow. It was fascinating, not much happening but I didn't mind. And oh Bran... poor little Bran. ...You'll be okay, little lord, you just wait.

And ugh.... the Lannisters, except for the Imp.
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

And ugh.... the Lannisters, except for the Imp.
                              But what about poor Lancel Lannister?

Comment

Working...
                              X