Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
    But what about poor Lancel Lannister?
    He got the short end of the stick, that's for sure.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Andron View Post
      Yet another very good episode. Great to see Syrio, Renly, Varis, Yoren, Jeor Mormont, Maester Aemon and not to forget Littlefinger
      Outstanding performances by Maisie (Arya), Mark (King Robert), Aiden (Littlefinger), Nikolaj (Jaimie) and Sean (Ned).

Got a very busy week, so my longer review will follow soon.
      Interesting points about Jeor Mormont and Maester Aemon: I wonder whether Jeor Mormont joined the Night's Watch before or after his son Jorah sold those poachers as slaves? With Maester Aemon, aside from Daenerys and Viserys, he is the only other living member of House Targaryen. Being loyal to the Night's Watch for so long though, everybody's forgotten about his Targaryen bloodlines.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
        Interesting points about Jeor Mormont and Maester Aemon: I wonder whether Jeor Mormont joined the Night's Watch before or after his son Jorah sold those poachers as slaves? With Maester Aemon, aside from Daenerys and Viserys, he is the only other living member of House Targaryen. Being loyal to the Night's Watch for so long though, everybody's forgotten about his Targaryen bloodlines.
        I didn't know this, I thought Daenerys and Viserys were the only Targaryen's left. Interesting. In addition to not realizing that Maester Aemon was a Targaryen I also didn't realize that Jeor was the father of Daenerys' advisor, Jorah.

As for this episode -- there were so many things I love about it that it would be a very long list if I listed them all. One of the things I loved was how the characters were used to foreshadow the dangers of the coming longer than usual winter. No matter the scene, there was an undercurrent of danger that kept me glued to my seat.

In addition to the dangers of the coming winter and the rumors of ancient enemies outside of the wall, there are also the dangers within the Seven Kingdoms. As someone noted earlier, Robert may have been a great soldier, but that doesn't mean that he would make a good king. And, unfortunately he proved that such concern was valid.

Ned Stark's concern throughout this episode was palpable and I loved that he respected Arya enough to tell her that they didn't have the luxury of being in the right because they needed to preserve their current alliances no matter how distasteful they may seem.

Robert putting the crown in debt to the powerful and self-serving Lannisters was beyond reckless because members of that family puts themselves first. The scene with Jaime and Cersei where he said he would gladly kill everyone until he and Cersei were the only ones left in the world and Cersei's scene with Joffrey where she said that "everyone who isn't us in an enemy" were chilling.

Loved the intro to Petyr Baelish. His saucy pragmatism was fun to watch. Varys also seems like an interesting character because as one who specializes in gathering intel he's a valuable asset. Baelish's scenes with Catelyn and Ned were insightful and entertaining. I also love how Catelyn decided to get in the middle of this and find evidence against the Lannisters herself instead of just staying behind at Winterfell and letting others do it for her. Her and Ned's goodbye was filled with so much emotion that it was almost hard to watch.

Old Nan's stories to the bedridden Bran set the stage for the concerns that Benjen, Maester Aemon and Jeor Mormont expressed later in the episode about how those far removed from the day to day living on the wall at Castle Black have no clue of how little stands between them and the dangers beyond the wall.

I continue to be impressed with Tyrion and Jon's scenes. I never would have thought that I would look forward to their scenes together so much. I also love Jon's scenes with Benjen, even though his opinion on service in the Night's Watch is so different from Tyrion's. Where Benjen sees it as a lifelong service to be proud of, Tyrion sees it as a shameful waste of one's life and a form of punishment.

And, of course I can't end this review without mentioning the dance master himself, the over the top, talented and entertaining, Syrio. His teaching Arya the water dance changed my opinion about whether Arya could develop believable sword skills. She was wonderful and I look forward to seeing her progress.

The last scene where Ned was watching the water dance lesson was interesting because watching him go from smiling pride to worry was chilling. It was almost as if he could see that his daughter would be needing her sword skills soon.
        sigpic
        Sig by Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by maxbo View Post
          I didn't know this, I thought Daenerys and Viserys were the only Targaryen's left. Interesting. In addition to not realizing that Maester Aemon was a Targaryen I also didn't realize that Jeor was the father of Daenerys' advisor, Jorah.

As for this episode -- there were so many things I love about it that it would be a very long list if I listed them all. One of the things I loved was how the characters were used to foreshadow the dangers of the coming longer than usual winter. No matter the scene, there was an undercurrent of danger that kept me glued to my seat.

In addition to the dangers of the coming winter and the rumors of ancient enemies outside of the wall, there are also the dangers within the Seven Kingdoms. As someone noted earlier, Robert may have been a great soldier, but that doesn't mean that he would make a good king. And, unfortunately he proved that such concern was valid.

Ned Stark's concern throughout this episode was palpable and I loved that he respected Arya enough to tell her that they didn't have the luxury of being in the right because they needed to preserve their current alliances no matter how distasteful they may seem.

Robert putting the crown in debt to the powerful and self-serving Lannisters was beyond reckless because members of that family puts themselves first. The scene with Jaime and Cersei where he said he would gladly kill everyone until he and Cersei were the only ones left in the world and Cersei's scene with Joffrey where she said that "everyone who isn't us in an enemy" were chilling.

Loved the intro to Petyr Baelish. His saucy pragmatism was fun to watch. Varys also seems like an interesting character because as one who specializes in gathering intel he's a valuable asset. Baelish's scenes with Catelyn and Ned were insightful and entertaining. I also love how Catelyn decided to get in the middle of this and find evidence against the Lannisters herself instead of just staying behind at Winterfell and letting others do it for her. Her and Ned's goodbye was filled with so much emotion that it was almost hard to watch.

Old Nan's stories to the bedridden Bran set the stage for the concerns that Benjen, Maester Aemon and Jeor Mormont expressed later in the episode about how those far removed from the day to day living on the wall at Castle Black have no clue of how little stands between them and the dangers beyond the wall.

I continue to be impressed with Tyrion and Jon's scenes. I never would have thought that I would look forward to their scenes together so much. I also love Jon's scenes with Benjen, even though his opinion on service in the Night's Watch is so different from Tyrion's. Where Benjen sees it as a lifelong service to be proud of, Tyrion sees it as a shameful waste of one's life and a form of punishment.

And, of course I can't end this review without mentioning the dance master himself, the over the top, talented and entertaining, Syrio. His teaching Arya the water dance changed my opinion about whether Arya could develop believable sword skills. She was wonderful and I look forward to seeing her progress.

The last scene where Ned was watching the water dance lesson was interesting because watching him go from smiling pride to worry was chilling. It was almost as if he could see that his daughter would be needing her sword skills soon.
          Nice review. But phew, if you thought there was an undercurrent of danger in episode 3, wait until you get a few episodes further on...

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
            Nice review. But phew, if you thought there was an undercurrent of danger in episode 3, wait until you get a few episodes further on...
            I can't wait. *rubs hands together in anticipation*

Now, I'm off to watch Episode 4.
            sigpic
            Sig by Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by maxbo View Post
              Maester Aemon is basically their grand uncle (or something like that). I'll have to check to see exactly how he's related to the younger Targaryens. Aemon has a very interesting backstory.

Spoiler:
              From what I've been told, many years before the events in Game of Thrones, he was once offered the crown but he refused.

Men of the Night's Watch forsake any loyalties to their former houses so while he's technically related to Daenerys and Viserys, he has virtually no loyalties to House Targaryen. Being with the Night's Watch for so long, I think everybody's forgotten that he was even there.
              sigpic

Comment

I have read the first book, and only seen three episodes, but I had a thought.

Spoiler:
                I think Jon Snow is not Ned's son, but Robert's. Remember Cersei saying she had a dark-haired son who died? Ned is very honourable and I don't see him cheating on his wife, whereas Robert is proud of the fact. I think Jon is either the 'dead' son, or one of Robert's bastards.
                Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
                  I have read the first book, and only seen three episodes, but I had a thought.

Spoiler:
                  I think Jon Snow is not Ned's son, but Robert's. Remember Cersei saying she had a dark-haired son who died? Ned is very honourable and I don't see him cheating on his wife, whereas Robert is proud of the fact. I think Jon is either the 'dead' son, or one of Robert's bastards.
                  I doubt that. More likely and probably the most favourite fans' theory is
                  Spoiler:
                  that Jon is in fact son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen
                  Stolen Kosovo
                  sigpic

Comment

I can see that (john's lineage)

he is definitely not
                    Spoiler:
                    Ned's son, not in my opinion, Ned let his honor take a hit to raise the child in safety

Kinda like one of Robert's other bastards
                    Spoiler:

the smith, Gendry. Obviously I have no idea where the book's going, and I'm just starting dance with dragons, but I wonder at Gendry and Arya having the companionship that could eventually grow into something more
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Ned loved Robert as a brother. If Jon is his son I don't see any reason why Ned didn't tell that to Robert or Cat. Robert's bastard were safe while he was king. But if Jon is Rhaegar's son it would be a huge problem. Robert hated all Targareyns and Jon may be one of them. And if Lyanna left with Rhaegar on her own because she may have loved Rhaegar that would be even worse. Ned promised his sister something and telling that Robert (one person who was like brother to himt would destroy their relationship and put Lyanna's son into a danger. No only from Robert, but also from Lannisters and other houses as well.
                      Stolen Kosovo
                      sigpic

Comment

Good points. Thanks.
                        Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                          I doubt that. More likely and probably the most favourite fans' theory is
                          Spoiler:
                          that Jon is in fact son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen
                          I completely agree with this.
                          Spoiler:
                          It also validates Ned's statement to Jon when on their last moments together, Ned told Jon, "my blood is in your veins." If he's Lyanna's son, the Stark blood is still there.

Comment

Got the dvds of this for my birthday last week. Slowly going through them. I think the final scene in this episode with Syrio Forel was the first one that was really true to the books.
                            sigpic
                            Banner By JME2

Comment

Working...
                            X