• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter Is Coming (101)

Visit the Episode GuideGAME OF THRONES - SEASON ONE
    WINTER IS COMING
    EPISODE NUMBER - 101
    Following the death of King Robert Baratheon's right hand, the King and his family travel north to offer Lord Ned Stark the important position. Elsewhere, the exiled Prince Viserys Targaryen uses his sister, Daenerys, to form an alliance with a clan of brutish warriors in a plot to return to power.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 30 September 2011, 02:41 PM.

Awesome, thanks for adding a forum!

Comment

Yay our own forum!

Damn I loved this ep, great start and I can't wait to rewatch it tonight in HD on Sky Atlantic.

Comment

So many things have been popping into my head all day. Bran is great. Jon is just bloody brilliant. Cat is excellent. And Mark Addy absolutely knocked my socks off with his portrayal of Robert. In fact, there's not one character that I don't think was perfectly cast.
        sigpic

Comment

I'll never look at a Tesco add the same way again.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
            I'll never look at a Tesco add the same way again.
            Heh there is such a difference.

For those that don't understand, Mark Addy does a lot of ads for Tesco, a supermarket chain here in the UK.

Here is King Robert Baratheon doing his shopping

Shows what a great actor he is as well, I totally bought him as Robert, he really nailed the role.

*EDIT*
            HBO have also released a behind the scenes video on the first ep which Winter is Coming have posted
            http://winter-is-coming.net/2011/04/...-up-episode-1/
            Last edited by The Mighty 6 platoon; 18 April 2011, 08:24 AM.

Comment

I don't think there's been a show since The Sopranos' first episode that's grabbed my full attention in the first minute, held it all the way through the teaser, all through the intro, and then through the rest of the episode. In short: holy crap. HBO, may I have your babies?
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Mark Addy - I kept thinking, I know that name. Why do I know that name? Gosh, Robert looks bloody familiar. He sounds so familiar. Now, I know.

You see, I watched Robin Hood again last night... in which he plays Friar Tuck.

Breaking my head over it for the better part of the episode... but it didn't distract me from what was going on.

I read the first book which I thought was boring and just didn't grab my attention, but finished it nonetheless.
                However, the show... bring on episode 2 I say. Loved the music, the cast, the dire wolves/dogs, the settings, the costumes, the sets, the detail that went into it... Loved it, loved it, loved it!
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I was very impressed by this episode, have been so excited about it since I first heard it was being made. I was a bit disappointed by the look of the stark sword. Considering it was supposed to be Valyrian steel it was very dull and looked like a normal sword. That and the lack of the others were the only disappointments however. The TV show was a lot more graphic than I expected, thought that it would have been toned down a touch for TV, also the consummation of Drogo and stormborns marriage was a bit more rapey than the book. I loved the end scene however, Jamie casual shove of bran was amazing. Very excited for the next episode and desperately hoping it keeps up this quality and doesn't get cancelled.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                    I don't think there's been a show since The Sopranos' first episode that's grabbed my full attention in the first minute, held it all the way through the teaser, all through the intro, and then through the rest of the episode. In short: holy crap. HBO, may I have your babies?
                    Digifluid, there, turning into Sansa by the minute.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    Mark Addy - I kept thinking, I know that name. Why do I know that name? Gosh, Robert looks bloody familiar. He sounds so familiar. Now, I know.

You see, I watched Robin Hood again last night... in which he plays Friar Tuck.

Breaking my head over it for the better part of the episode... but it didn't distract me from what was going on.

I read the first book which I thought was boring and just didn't grab my attention, but finished it nonetheless.
                    However, the show... bring on episode 2 I say. Loved the music, the cast, the dire wolves/dogs, the settings, the costumes, the sets, the detail that went into it... Loved it, loved it, loved it!
                    Glad to see we have snared another into our addiction.

Originally posted by _WraithQueen_ View Post
                    The TV show was a lot more graphic than I expected, thought that it would have been toned down a touch for TV, also the consummation of Drogo and stormborns marriage was a bit more rapey than the book.
                    HBO, being a premium channel, have no restrictions on the content in their shows, and will typically actually have stronger content in their shows than most movies. Expect every moment of violence, sex or general grit from the books to be fully intact and in your face in the series.
                    Last edited by The Mighty 6 platoon; 18 April 2011, 01:45 PM.

Comment

What a great first episode Been waiting for the series to finally start for more than two years and I've not been dissapointed by it!

Where to start. Most of the actors all did an excellent job, though there were some rocky parts (for example Catelyn in the godswood with Ned, just the way she delivered the lines...). I especially liked Peter Dinklage's performance as Tyrion, Mark Addy (King Robert), Maise (Arya), Sophie (Sansa, already got a little annoyed by her, as it should be ), Isaac (Bran), Emilia (Daenerys) and Harry (Viserys) - they are perfect for their roles. Not to forget our first taste of Sandor Clegane the Hound, though his face should be scarred much more!
                      The directing and writing was very good as well, liked most of the added lines and what a cliffhanger, but the plot felt a little rushed. The sets and the VFX, as well as the opening credits were breathtaking.

Can't wait for the second episode!
                      Last edited by Andron; 18 April 2011, 02:44 PM.
                      sigpic
                      My short movie "Red Bag" / The Scifi Guys Podcast / My Twitter account

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                        Digifluid, there, turning into Sansa by the minute.
                        I'm still not up to speed on character names so I'll admit I had to look that one up

the consummation of Drogo and stormborns marriage was a bit more rapey than the book.
                        Hilarious choice of words
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                          HBO, being a premium channel, have no restrictions on the content in their shows, and will typically actually have stronger content in their shows than most movies. Expect every moment of violence, sex or general grit from the books to be fully intact and in your face in the series.
                          I'm in the UK so don't really know anything about HBO, although it does explain why True Blood and Sex and the City are HBO shows. I'm glad they kept the gritty bits from the books, it is part of the reason I love GRRM, I was just really expecting them to be glossed over a bit. I haven't watched any of the promos or read anything about the show because I was too excited and they all seemed to make the actual show seem further away than it was. Makes me all the more excited about the show

Comment

I'm in the UK so don't really know anything about HBO, although it does explain why True Blood and Sex and the City are HBO shows. I'm glad they kept the gritty bits from the books, it is part of the reason I love GRRM, I was just really expecting them to be glossed over a bit. I haven't watched any of the promos or read anything about the show because I was too excited and they all seemed to make the actual show seem further away than it was. Makes me all the more excited about the show
                            Ah well, a bit like after the Watershed here in the UK, on HBO, anything goes. Incidentally having seen it now in glorious HD on Sky Atlantic, I can happily say having rewatched the show it has grown on me even more.

Comment

For a pilot episode that was pretty incredible. The only character I didn't like was Drogo's new brother-in-law. He was kind of annoying actually. Speaking of Drogo, Momoa was awesome.

I've never read the books so everything is new to me, so I really didn't expect that ending.
                              || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Working...
                              X