Alternative uses for the stasis pods!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative uses for the stasis pods!

Since they are on the ship for a long time and there are many stasis pods, couldn't they use some of them to preserve food from spoiling? In this episode they could have killed multiple of those animals and just stored the meat away in the pods for use later. A sort of ancient refrigerator but more advanced

or store themselves for a hundreds of years and let destiny travel closer to the source of the background radiation god thing
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Store all the useless people so they aren't wasting food, water and air.
      Thaw em out when we need redshirts.

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
        Store all the useless people so they aren't wasting food, water and air.
        Thaw em out when we need redshirts.
        this

Comment

The stasis pods are designed (based on all others we have seen) to slow bodily processes. Dead animals have no bodily processes so it wouldn't work.

Comment

it's just an advanced freezer. even at low temperatures molecules still move, so eventually you'd age. for the ancients, it's thousands of years.

anyway, yes it would work.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
              The stasis pods are designed (based on all others we have seen) to slow bodily processes. Dead animals have no bodily processes so it wouldn't work.
              However, food goes bad because its being eaten by tiny microbactieria. That IS alive and would be slowed along with the dead animal.

And heck it might not work for the space deer, but for smaller animals trap them alive and store em.

Comment

still a big fail.

food also goes bad because the cells within the food itself die. the normally perfectly contained reagents mix and cause all sorts of unwanted reactions.

so there still ARE reactions.

furthermore, stasis has ABSOLUTELY and UNCONDITIONALLY NOTHING to do with bodily processes. it cools down atoms, slowing them. slowing everything. if you tossed a rock into a glass of water, and halfway the sinking put it in stasis, the rock would be hanging halfway. over the eons, the rock would very slowly fall but it would be very slowly.

Comment

We really have no idea how they work. For all we know it could be some sort of localized time dilation.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                    We really have no idea how they work. For all we know it could be some sort of localized time dilation.
                    ^This

No one has ever stated that the stasis pods were cryogenic. The term "frozen" when used in these franchizes does not have to be taken in the literal sense. Even the Asgard have stated that they only scratched the surface of the Ancient's technology, and the stasis pods could definitely fall into the realm of currently unknowable tech - until TPTB decide to let us in on exactly how they work.

Comment

Yes no has ever said the stasis pods actually freeze peeple.

Comment

what does it look like to you then? both the Atlantean AND Destiny stasis pod put the guy in a block of ice. how they do it, no clue. but it's clearly ice.

whatever other methods are at play, no clue. but there's ice involved

Comment

I'd assume the Destiny would also have more normal refrigerators somewhere, perhaps in its cantine? If not they could perhaps even whip one up with stuff laying around, it's not that complicated a technology.

I'd also assume that, for story purposes, the stasis pods require a large amount of energy so it would hamper the optimal operation of the ship. That's strictly an assumption of course.

The basic idea that they are chronically short on any meat is indeed not realistic in the very long run. They could perhaps even have taken a stock of animals for breeding purposes on the destiny, they're only 80 or so people it's not that much. In time they should encounter at least alien counterparts for chickens so they have some eggs. The fact that they don't have it means, storywise, that they haven't had much luck in encountering such creatues.
                          I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                            Well then stick them in there live. The meat will be fresher still. I'd like to see them wrestle a live rainbow deer into one of those pods .

Comment

Originally posted by spaceship View Post
                              Well then stick them in there live. The meat will be fresher still. I'd like to see them wrestle a live rainbow deer into one of those pods .
                              I now have a mental image of sgt. Greer chainsawing a deer's legs off then shoving it into the pod while it's rapidly bleeding to death
                              I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

Working...
                              X