Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bryan Singer's 2005 "Star Trek: Federation" proposal

http://trekmovie.com/2011/04/16/excl...ries-proposal/

It's a bit long so I won't copy/paste it here.

Interesting. Not complete sure it feels like it would have been Star Trek, but there's some neat ideas just the same.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I'd have hated this.

What happened to the exploration, the improvement of humanity and understanding of everything? None of that matters, they broke up the Federation and turned it into "oh ****, bad guys, blast them". It's like they've decided to take away all the good stuff, and left us with 'Legend of the Rangers'.

I did enjoy the idea of humans focusing more on their views over others, this has from time to time been mentioned in other Trek series (Eddington made a great comparison to the Borg) and that is something I would have enjoyed seeing. Can't say I liked the name Kirk being used. Just didn't find right, but did love M.A.J.E.L and The 76th Distillation of Blue. That last one is definitely a great name, like they've lifted it from Doctor Who and being a gas based lifeform, even better. Definitely against the name Kirk. That has been, and only ever will be one Kirk and that is the James T. Yes they can try different versions of him, but Shatner will stand the test of time.

I like the idea of Cardassians being Artists and Scholars like Garak once said, the Klingon's being somewhat Sodan like is an interesting idea too, Unification is interesting too, but not too wild on the idea on the idea of Bajorans giving up on everything else with the Ferengi, it's like watching DS9 for seven seasons then learning it didn't matter.

sigpic

Comment

The two most interesting entries for me would be:

• Bajorans have withdrawn from the Federation to become insular in order to focus on their religion and communing with the Prophets. Bajor is now "like a planet sized Tibet", handing over all temporal concerns to the Ferengi
      • The Cardassians have transformed into a "society of artists and philosophers" who now "walk the path" and are now dedicated to a philosophy with "the view of the galaxy as a place created solely to test the faithful."
      Given the Sisko's place in the Bajoran faith, I have trouble believing the Bajorans would withdraw from the Federation in this fashion. That and from what we've seen of the Prophets, I don't think they'd allow the the Bajorans to go down such a path.

Now with the Cardassians, that's a distinct change of cultural attitude. I wonder how much influence the Bajoran faith would've had on them after the Dominion War.

Interesting ideas but on the balance, I have to agree with SaberBlade that it's likely I would've disliked this revamping of the Trekverse.
      sigpic

Comment

blah blah blah, this sounds like an epic fail to me

Comment

From what I've read, I think I would have enjoyed it. Sure, some tweaking would be necessary, but it seems that many concerns I have with Trek [the obvious human bias, the Federation's real motives for wanting to peacefully coexist, the rampant happiness] would have been addressed. Plus I already thought that the name of the next Trek series should be Star Trek: Federation.
          sigpic
          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Yes, fail big time. I am glad that it did not happen, I have to say I am more happy with Abrams Version of Star Trek... but maybe thats just the fanboy in me shouting that everything abrams does is gold!
            sigpic

Comment

Hmmm, interesting. Still, I'm not sure about this one, particularly the Bajorans.
              sigpic

Comment

What makes Trek unique, in my opinion, is the utopianism. Granted, TNG, especially in its early seasons, may have taken it too far.

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                  Hmmm, interesting. Still, I'm not sure about this one, particularly the Bajorans.
                  Yeah, the Bajorans have endured too much in their history and have way too much fire in their blood to allow themselves or the things they hold to be sacred to be exploited by the likes of the Ferengi. The more and more I think about what that proposal outlined for the Bajorans or even the Vulcans, the more I'm thankful that such a reboot didn't happen.
                  sigpic

Comment

Sounds terrible, they're abandoning the founding principles of the Federation.

Comment

Sounds AWESOME!......too bad people these days prefer to see a celebrity singing a song while dancing on an island while racing around the world instead of a real sci-fi story.

Shame.

Comment

Sounds cool, but I don't know if I like the idea of the Federation and Star Fleet taking a back seat to the capitalist Ferangi I love the idea of a Utopian future that ST presents us with would have hated to see that Utopia deteriorate. But I probably would have been able to look past it if the show was good.

Perfecto!

Comment

Working...
                        X