'Defiance' (Rockne S. O'Bannon/Syfy) -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
    With the SyFy channel its seems a very common thing IMO. Then again its starting to seem sci-fi/fantasy can't survive on TV anymore IMO.
    May is comming up. Just take a count of the shows that networks cancel. Its hardly a SyFy channel thing
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

More info:
      http://blastr.com/2011/06/farscapes-rockne-obannon.php

Comment

Originally posted by Flibby View Post
        OK well this will fall apart in less than 30 seconds. Combining doing a scifi tv show (already a risky proposition) with an MMO is a recipe for disaster. Most MMO's fail, the market is over saturated, and Star Wars: The Old Republic is coming later this year so it will edge out any other competition. Unless this is free to play I can't see the MMO side lasting, and even if it is, there is still a good chance of it failing.

Comment

The MMO market is oversaturated with ****ty fantasy games, not quite so much with scifi games, although there has been an increase in new scifi mmo's lately, most of them are failures.
          There certainly aren't any good scifi shooters right now. Neocron was amazing, but it's dead until Neocron 3 comes out 10 years from now. Global Agenda was a nice try, but it wasn't a real MMO. Fallen Earth was a failure.
          I think that there's a huge vacancy in the MMO market right now, and that's a not ****ty scifi shooter MMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Flibby View Post
            The MMO market is oversaturated with ****ty fantasy games, not quite so much with scifi games, although there has been an increase in new scifi mmo's lately, most of them are failures.
            There certainly aren't any good scifi shooters right now. Neocron was amazing, but it's dead until Neocron 3 comes out 10 years from now. Global Agenda was a nice try, but it wasn't a real MMO. Fallen Earth was a failure.
            I think that there's a huge vacancy in the MMO market right now, and that's a not ****ty scifi shooter MMO.
            Whether its scifi or not has very little to do with it. With an MMO there is only a market for a couple of top tier MMO's and maybe a few other games that have found a niche audience. You already have World of Warcraft and soon the Old Republic. That's your top level of MMO's then the more niche markets is covered by stuff like EVE Online and the Lord of the Rings Online.

With anything else, films, books, tv, normal videogames, simply because another product sells doesn't mean that yours won't either. If 10 million people buy Call of Duty, that doesn't matter for most other games, people can afford to buy them as well. But with an MMO the time you need to play and the cost in subscription fees mean that you can only play one at a time. If 10 million people are playing World of Warcraft, that's 10 million people who won't play your game.

Look at this chart

Spoilered for size

Spoiler:

World of Warcraft dominated in 2008 and it still does today, it's number of subscriptions has gone up. And Star Wars: The Old Republic is hotly anticipated and will eat up the rest of the market. People gravitate towards the bests reviewed and most advertised games, and I really doubt that Syfy can compete with the quality or the amount of money in advertising that Blizzard and Bioware will throw behind their products.

Companies look at World of Warcraft and see that it makes billions of dollars per year and want a piece of the action. MGM clearly wanted to do that with their Stargate MMO. But what they fail to realise is that the expense of making these games and the difficulty in breaking into the market mean that most of these games end as abject failures.

Comment

A rather ambiguous trailer for the game has now surfaced from E3

Comment

PC Gamer now have a preview of the game.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/08/e3...i-shooter-mmo/

Comment

So I am guesting this is there project that suppose to combine TV and Games together and where the actions of the players in the virtual world will affect the events that take during the show.

I look forward to seeing how it will evolve.
                  I will also be waiting to see how much this game will cost to pay. An whether Syfy can organise the show to be shown on mainstream channels where people will see it.
                  Last edited by knowles2; 09 June 2011, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Wouldn't it be interesting if the game became/continued to be a success, after Syfylis cancels the show? That'd grab my attention a lot more than comic continuations.

Even though the only MMO for me is/will be SWTOR.
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                      Wouldn't it be interesting if the game became/continued to be a success, after Syfylis cancels the show? That'd grab my attention a lot more than comic continuations.

Even though the only MMO for me is/will be SWTOR.
                      SWTOR? Star Wars The Old Republic?
                      sigpic

Comment

Correct!
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I think I want a film base on the old republic and not MMO, the latest cinematic looked epic.

Why cant the cartoon series look that good.
                          Last edited by knowles2; 10 June 2011, 01:05 PM.

Comment

I started the Defiance Wiki which will contain any and all information on the tv show and the game.

Comment

I'm quite excited about this show but I won't be to exicted unless it reaches it's third season
                              sigpic

Comment

Looks like production on the series has started in Toronto. Looking at a Spring 2013 release.

I have to say my interest level increased significantly upon finding out that Jaime Murray is starring in this.

NEW YORK – April 25, 2012 – DefianceTM, the revolutionary transmedia event launching in Spring 2013, has commenced production on the series pilot in Toronto, ON. An unprecedented partnership between Syfy and Trion Worlds, Defiance is the first-ever convergence of television and Massive Multiplayer Online gaming, featuring an interconnected world and storylines that will co-exist on both platforms.

Defiance stars Grant Bowler (Nolan), Julie Benz (Amanda Rosewater), Stephanie Leonidas (Irisa), Tony Curran (Datak Tarr), Jaime Murray (Stahma Tarr), Graham Greene (Rafe McCawley), Mia Kirshner (Kenya) and Fionnula Flanagan (Nicky).
                                http://scifimafia.com/2012/04/syfys-...eary-to-score/
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X