No announcement yet.

'Defiance' (Rockne S. O'Bannon/Syfy) -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing I'm surprised about is that it is a show that is premiering on a channel known to produce low budget shows, yet just from that 30 second trailer it looks like it has better cg work than Terra Nova.

Of course it's just a thirty second trailer...The show could be complete nonsensical crap when it airs. But it looks promising.
    sigpic

Comment

CGI itself doesn't need to be expensive. Just look at some of the great stuff that Stargate pulled off with their low budget
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

That's a good point Jelgate. And they also had the issue of starting in the late 90s. Some of their CGI still stands up pretty well.

But my point is, the Terra Nova cg wasn't very good, though I guess you could make the argument that much of the budget went towards the expensive sets.
        sigpic

Comment

FYI - We have an expanded series guide in the works at SciFiStream. Now with a character guide, screencap gallery, videos, and more:

www.scifistream.com/Defiance
          GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
          The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
          Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

New video!

Comment

I'll hope the season will be available on iTunes as well !
              sigpic

Comment

I couldn't remember where I have seen Jaime Murray earlier. She was Gaia in the Spartacus!!!

Actually the new races seems to be a bit disappointing, because they don't look enough "alien" to me. But I have faith in Rockne S. O'Bannon, because the FarScape was really well written.
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by EventHorizon View Post
                  I know what you mean. I live in Minnesota, and the only way Hollywood represents my home is lots of snow and people with Canadian accents.

As far as the arch... I am wondering if they re-build it. The show/town is called "Defiance". I'm wondering if the arch falls down (as it likely should), and they re-raise it in "defiance".

I'll give the show a chance.
                  It look like there some sort of scaffolding around the arch.

Looks awesome. Glad to see some promotion of a show from syfy that is not a trailer a week before the first airing. But this is syfy they will probably muck it up in some other way before long.

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                  That's a good point Jelgate. And they also had the issue of starting in the late 90s. Some of their CGI still stands up pretty well.

But my point is, the Terra Nova cg wasn't very good, though I guess you could make the argument that much of the budget went towards the expensive sets.
                  Doing good organic CGI is just plain hard, one area where SG all the series suffered with, beyond the Asgard, Blue and brown aliens in SGU, but a lot of others do, Merlin with its dragon for example.

Most of the work in Nova was organic CGI work, it not surprising some of it looked dodgy, especially as people was comparing it to Jurassic Park and expecting the same quality of work for a fraction of the budget per frame wise.

I am looking forward in getting know our new universe, it look like it will be a fairly complicated universe but I do not see room for a lot interesting, unique stories yet.
                  Last edited by knowles2; 18 November 2012, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                    I couldn't remember where I have seen Jaime Murray earlier. She was Gaia in the Spartacus!!!

Actually the new races seems to be a bit disappointing, because they don't look enough "alien" to me. But I have faith in Rockne S. O'Bannon, because the FarScape was really well written.
                    Jamie Murry has been in alot of things over the last couple of years... Dexter, Spartacus, Ringer, Warehouse 13

I was actually thinking the same thing, i guess for the video game there has to be some alien looking creatures in the game idk
                    Last Movie Watched
                    X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                    Life is Strange

Comment

Jaimie murray also appeared in Dexter, Hustle, and Warehouse 13.

I enjoy her performance in the Hustle the most.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                        Jaimie murray also appeared in Dexter, Hustle, and Warehouse 13.

I enjoy her performance in the Hustle the most.
                        Already mentioned WH13 and Dexter havent seen Hustle tho
                        Last Movie Watched
                        X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                        Life is Strange

Comment

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
                          Already mentioned WH13 and Dexter havent seen Hustle tho
                          I think she acted a lot better and more natural and comfortable in the hustle than some of the other roles she played.

Comment

SPOILER

What is strange that the 7 Votian races have all lived together in the same solar system, but now they live like the Indian cast system. So there are workers, engineers, servants. Hmmm... I expected something more original, but we will see it next year.
                            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

SPOILER

What is strange that the 7 Votian races have all lived together in the same solar system, but now they live like the Indian cast system. So there are workers, engineers, servants. Hmmm... I expected something more original, but we will see it next year.
                              That sounds more like the Minbari
                              Last Movie Watched
                              X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                              Life is Strange

Comment

SPOILER

Who said such a thing only existed when they arrived on Earth?

Comment

Working...
                                X