No announcement yet.

'Defiance' (Rockne S. O'Bannon/Syfy) -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You pretty much only see FOX and Syfylis taking the well-earned brunt of it.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      You pretty much only see FOX and Syfylis taking the well-earned brunt of it.
      I have seen quite of few people yell at ABC. Science fiction fans tend to whine the loudest which concidentally are on FOX and SyFy the most
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Good luck to him. I'm not holding my breath...
        sigpic

Comment

Yes, Yes, Yes.... although Farscape was not my favorite it was original and fresh and I am excited what the creators are doing this time, but with Syfy? please.... We can be happy if it gets passed season one...
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            Every channel is not going to be good enough for people. Its one constant I see with fans. All shows got cancelled eventually and almost always fans call for the blood of the network who airs.
            Few channels are as brutal at axing shows without giving them conclusions. Now my favourite channel, HBO, has axed shows, but there were at least mitigating circumstances with them. Eg with Rome they had a $100 million price tag per season, the BBC pulled out of funding and the sets then burned down. And even then, HBO have actually said they regret cancelling shows like Rome and Deadwood and that it was a mistake to cancel them.

Whereas syfy will unapologetically cancel anything and replace it with wrestling.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
              Few channels are as brutal at axing shows without giving them conclusions. Now my favourite channel, HBO, has axed shows, but there were at least mitigating circumstances with them. Eg with Rome they had a $100 million price tag per season, the BBC pulled out of funding and the sets then burned down. And even then, HBO have actually said they regret cancelling shows like Rome and Deadwood and that it was a mistake to cancel them.

Whereas syfy will unapologetically cancel anything and replace it with wrestling.
              Maybe not in your country but they are here. With the exception of the preminium channels you love so much many shows are cancelled without notice to make room for others.
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Maybe not in your country but they are here. With the exception of the preminium channels you love so much many shows are cancelled without notice to make room for others.
                "Everybody else is doing it" is not a valid excuse for bad behaviour. Shows get cancelled yes, and when something's getting awful reviews or bad ratings it's understandable. SGU being canned is something I don't agree with, but it has undeniably being getting bad ratings, it makes some sense.

But let us not forget that the last major Rockne S. O'Bannon project with syfy, Farscape, was renewed for a 4th and 5th season, before they reneged on that deal and pulled the plug at the end of the season. Syfy as a network renege on deals, under promote or badly promote many of their shows, cancel things at will and seem ever concerned with the lowest common denominator. Many of the major networks are just as guilty of this yes, but as I said, this is not a valid defence. Syfy's track record leaves me nothing but despondent, that this show will not receive the love it deserves and get cancelled in 5 minutes flat to be replaced by wrestling or a reality show.

Comment

Networks pull shows all the time, its nothing new. The reason SyFy is one of the worst culprits is because it exclusively airs Sci-Fi shows (and wrestling apparently) so when something gets cancelled it draws the ire of the community because in general Sci-Fi shows are few and far between in relation to all other genres. NBC, ABC, FOX all just as guilty with the other genre shows.

HBO, Showtime and premium cable channels don't cancel that often because lets face it, on average the quality of those shows is always a step above. They will always draw an audience, and the network's expectations of ratings differ greatly from regular cable networks.

Now back on topic, Rockne sounds excited about this new show. I won't get too excited until I hear the premise and more details surrounding the show though.
                  sigpic

Comment

Ooh...interesting.

Still, I'd sooner hear news about those 'webisodes' for Farscape.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
                      Ooh...interesting.

Still, I'd sooner hear news about those 'webisodes' for Farscape.
                      I doubt if those will ever happen. That O'Bannon is working on this new project seems to me only further proof.
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Sound like he joining a project rather than creating something entirely new. So probably a other show like Eureka or Warehouse 13.
                        But like the rest if it new, bold and high quality and expensive it will be cancel by the end of season 2 on a cliff hangar.

Comment

*comes in excited*

*thinks about SyFy's history*

*starts crying*

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                            *comes in excited*

*thinks about SyFy's history*

*starts crying*
                            I know a station cancelling a TV show is so unheard of
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

I know a station cancelling a TV show is so unheard of
                              With the SyFy channel its seems a very common thing IMO. Then again its starting to seem sci-fi/fantasy can't survive on TV anymore IMO.

Comment

I have a laundry list of complaints about Syfylis as long as my arm, but jelly certainly has a point in that they become the focus of our ire because they do more sci fi programming than other networks.

Comment

Working...
                                X