No announcement yet.

'Defiance' (Rockne S. O'Bannon/Syfy) -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a video on the show and the game.

So on the negative side
    1. it's a syfy show and all the baggage that entails
    2. they've decided to tie it to an MMO game, what happens when that inevitably starts to fail? The MMO market is really not doing well at the moment.

On the plus side of things though the show sounds very interesting and the cast they've assembled is very impressive, so I wouldn't write this one off yet.

Comment

More information revealed/ which has been transplanted to the Defiance Wiki

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post

2. they've decided to tie it to an MMO game, what happens when that inevitably starts to fail? The MMO market is really not doing well at the moment.
        That pretty much ended my interest since I won't be playing the game. If/When it comes to the US, I'll try the 1st couple eps, but if I feel I'm missing too much I'll drop it.

Edit: I just watched the clip. I'm gone. They set the tv show in my home town and it looks like the are making all the stupid mistakes like the that really really really really bad (yes that bad! ) tv movie syfy filmed here (it was about a Black Hole gobbling up St Louis). 1st if you have hundreds of feet of debri and dirt built up that at most the top of the Arch is going to show not the whole thing. 2nd, where is the Mississippi River (that big wide expanse of water just steps from the Arch) - you can't get rid of that and still set it in St Louis. If something bad enough happened that got rid of one of the biggest rivers in the world then the Arch would be long gone.
        Last edited by Thunderstorm; 05 June 2012, 05:49 PM.
        sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderstorm View Post
          That pretty much ended my interest since I won't be playing the game. If/When it comes to the US, I'll try the 1st couple eps, but if I feel I'm missing too much I'll drop it.

Edit: I just watched the clip. I'm gone. They set the tv show in my home town and it looks like the are making all the stupid mistakes like the that really really really really bad (yes that bad! ) tv movie syfy filmed here (it was about a Black Hole gobbling up St Louis). 1st if you have hundreds of feet of debri and dirt built up that at most the top of the Arch is going to show not the whole thing. 2nd, where is the Mississippi River (that big wide expanse of water just steps from the Arch) - you can't get rid of that and still set it in St Louis. If something bad enough happened that got rid of one of the biggest rivers in the world then the Arch would be long gone.
          The game is not necessary to watch the show.

As for St Louis, in all the promotional images, concept art, there are large mountain regions around the town, if there was enough debris to create mountains the river could have been filled in and redirected elsewhere. The buildings were not completely surrounded, some would have collapsed or been destroyed.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
            The game is not necessary to watch the show.

As for St Louis, in all the promotional images, concept art, there are large mountain regions around the town, if there was enough debris to create mountains the river could have been filled in and redirected elsewhere. The buildings were not completely surrounded, some would have collapsed or been destroyed.
            Yes but the Arch is literally right next to the river, as in down the steps across the road, a few steps and splash. And when the river is high the road and some of the steps are covered. So this means they are using the Arch as a 'look at me we're in St Louis' superficial item since it wouldn't still be there based on the other facts they've presented, instead of using good writing/plot etc to establish this. And if they are going to be this cavalier about this point that leads me too believe many other scientific etc points and shortcuts they are going to take and then it's going to be hard to watch.

The Mississippi River is one of the biggest not just in the US but the WORLD. It would take alot of time, effort and resources to divert or destroy it. If you are fighting for survival you don't have resources to waste on that. Plus they said only 35 yrs in the future. Not going to happen. So that says to me they aren't going to use any remotely realistic basis to establish this new future.

Plus, you don't know how really really really really bad that SyFy movie was. Not just set in St Louis, but partially filmed here to. So SyFy plus St Louis just makes me want to shudder and wash my brain out with other images.
            sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

Comment

Yes but the Arch is literally right next to the river, as in down the steps across the road, a few steps and splash. And when the river is high the road and some of the steps are covered. So this means they are using the Arch as a 'look at me we're in St Louis' superficial item since it wouldn't still be there based on the other facts they've presented, instead of using good writing/plot etc to establish this. And if they are going to be this cavalier about this point that leads me too believe many other scientific etc points and shortcuts they are going to take and then it's going to be hard to watch.

The Mississippi River is one of the biggest not just in the US but the WORLD. It would take alot of time, effort and resources to divert or destroy it. If you are fighting for survival you don't have resources to waste on that. Plus they said only 35 yrs in the future. Not going to happen. So that says to me they aren't going to use any remotely realistic basis to establish this new future.

Plus, you don't know how really really really really bad that SyFy movie was. Not just set in St Louis, but partially filmed here to. So SyFy plus St Louis just makes me want to shudder and wash my brain out with other images.
              If you look here you can still see a river behind the arch. What I meant to say was that with all these mountains popping up, maybe the river was unable to flow into the area and thus was "naturally" diverted away. Not that far of a stretch. Considering that St Louis is relatively flat around the arch now, you don't think that massive mountains could stop a river?

Comment

I'm sorry for trashing the show and your excitement (I hate it when people do that to me). Guess I was just in the wrong mood. But I'm still wary of something SyFy is going to be so involed in. So I'll wait till next year and hopefully it will suprise me and be a good interesting show.
                sigpic

Comment

I'm sorry for trashing the show and your excitement (I hate it when people do that to me). Guess I was just in the wrong mood. But I'm still wary of something SyFy is going to be so involed in. So I'll wait till next year and hopefully it will suprise me and be a good interesting show.
                  I'm weary of Syfy too (im pretty sure they sit around waiting to crush us) but the only way to stop shows from being cancelled is tio always try to put them in a positive light (at least until the show airs and you get first hand info on it) to draw in more viewers.

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Hopefully we'll be getting some more info on the show from Comic con in two weeks. They have a panel there, and chances are someone will be in the audience filming the whole thing.

Comment

Well Comic Con gave us very little that we didn't already know.

Some more footage of the tv show in this video: http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/07/def...medium=twitter

Comment

New video:

Comment

I just saw this, having heard nothing about the show before except for the scattering of discussion here on this page.

I'm already into it...Damn.
                            sigpic

Comment

I know what you mean. I live in Minnesota, and the only way Hollywood represents my home is lots of snow and people with Canadian accents.

As far as the arch... I am wondering if they re-build it. The show/town is called "Defiance". I'm wondering if the arch falls down (as it likely should), and they re-raise it in "defiance".

I'll give the show a chance.

Comment

Looks like its going to be a pretty good show
                                Last Movie Watched
                                X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                                Life is Strange

Comment

Working...
                                X