'Defiance' (Rockne S. O'Bannon/Syfy) -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

???

Hmm... That is what they said in the video. Every race has his own skill or role or profession if that desribes them better.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
      ???

Hmm... That is what they said in the video. Every race has his own skill or role or profession if that desribes them better.
      Setting up the races like this probably fits in with the RPG game they are developing too.
      sigpic

Comment

Reading the wiki and the tiny slither of information we have about vortan races it seems that they may have once been a single species but through genetic engineering become 7 separate species. An have long forgotten the time when they were a single species.

But let have a friendly bet, I bet us humans are the 8th Vortan species. Which is an easy explanation to why we look very similar to some of the Vortan.

Comment

???

Yes but what if they had a mixed civilization before they came to Earth. I doubt that planets and races that had no interconnection would suddenly join together to escape.

Comment

Although the show maybe canned after the first season, I hope that the game will be successful because I'm really hyped about this new show and I hope syfy has a some sci fi success again which I doubt but mostly it's their own fault anyway but I can't wait for this show and playing it later the year because I'm usually not a gamer but this i will try out.
            sigpic

Comment

What I wanted to say I like such alien races in RPGs or scifi show where the backgrounds and motivations are well-written. I mean you can not say that x race can be only one profession and the following y race can be only interested in something else etc. I want to see a living society, where you can feel that the presented alien race or even its individual member has a culture, a mythology, different goals and motivates, bad and good anatomical skills and habits etc.
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Sp!der View Post
                I'm usually not a gamer but this i will try out.
                I've never done that kind of game either (online multiple players, right?) but I was going take a shot at it too. I was pretty shocked that Syfy was even attempting this show, given their history.
                sigpic

Comment

What I wanted to say I like such alien races in RPGs or scifi show where the backgrounds and motivations are well-written. I mean you can not say that x race can be only one profession and the following y race can be only interested in something else etc. I want to see a living society, where you can feel that the presented alien race or even its individual member has a culture, a mythology, different goals and motivates, bad and good anatomical skills and habits etc.
                  I doubt that all of each of the races fits into those professions. From looking at ourselves we see that there are always those who go against what their culture considers normal. We have been told that the Indogene have lots of technological and genetic implants which make them good at tech and such. Maybe the Liberatta are very good cooks (or at the very least, considering cooking, cleaning etc as the top jobs) and thus often go into service positions.

Comment

If you didn't know, you can know sign up for beta here: vonbachindustries.com

Comment

For anyone who wants to know (seem to be the biggest questions). The Defiance game is launched on April 1st and the show begins on April 15th. The game is on PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 however you only get to play with people on the same machine, so if your on PC you cant play with someone on PS3 etc. It is buy to play but you can also purchase other things in game for your character.

There is a two-day beta test on January 18th, sign up at http://vonbachindustries.com. More info can be found at http://defiance.com or http://en.defiance-wiki.com

C'mon people get excited, we actually get a sci-fi show. A real sci-fi show!

Comment

I'm really hopeful that this show is good and does well. Everything I've read sounds awesome!
                        sigpic

Comment

A brief summary of the races.

The Votans are not a single species, but a collection of seven different alien species who evolved on separate planets in the Votan star system. The different races banded together to flee their star system when their sun went nova, and ultimately arrived at Earth.[5]

Castithan - One of the more prominent races in the series, the Castithan appear very similar to humans. Their coloration is very pale, however, verging on albinism, with pale white skin, white hair, and pale yellow eyes. The Castithans used to have a patriarchal, rigidly segregated caste-based society on their home planet, though this has broken down somewhat among the survivors on Earth due to the harsh conditions of the war and its aftermath. Datak Tarr, co-founder of Defiance (in the former location of St. Louis) is a Castithan, from one of the lower castes. His wife, Stahma Tarr, is from one of the Castithan higher castes. As a member of the lower castes, Datak possesses more egalitarian values, striving to work with other races through sharing of power to achieve mutual defense. As a member of the higher castes which benefited from the old patriarchical hierarchy, Stahma feels that their family should acquire more power for itself. However, this very ideology insists that it is not a woman's place to seize power, thus Stahma is faced with goading Datak into taking more aggressive measures so that he (and by extension, she) will possess more power. The Castithan language is created by linguist David J. Peterson, developer of the Dothraki language used in Game of Thrones.

Indogene - the most technologically advanced Votan race. They have bright white skin and no visible hair follicles. Their heads are hairless and smooth; their external ears don't really protrude, smoothly merging with the rest of the head. They have hexagonal shaped irises, and their skin is covered in faint hexagon-shaped scales; even their written language is based on hexagon shapes. As the most scientifically advanced Votan race, they have been upgraded with numerous genetic and cybernetic implants (which are often not externally visible). Culturally, they tend to be technical geniuses and intellectuals.

Irathient - A near-human race with an affinity for nature and adept at tribal warfare, described as almost feral marauders. Their coloration is more similar to humans than the pale Castithans, with brightly colored hair and white markings on their faces (which might be cultural decoration, not biological). However, the proportions of their facial features and slightly different from humans (and the human-like Castithans), with a wider bridge of the nose arcing towards the eyes, and very large multi-colored irises.

Liberatta - slightly shorter than humans, they have with blockier facial features. They have long scruffy yellow hair. They are described as a servant-class race. Their language includes a high frequency of slang terms.

Sensoth - slightly larger and taller than humans, they basically resemble a more humanoid orangutan. Their bodies are covered in reddish-brown fur, except on their faces, which have grayish skin. Their jaws protrude further forward than on humans, like apes (actors playing Sensoth characters have remote-controlled prosthetic appliances attached to their heads to achieve this effect).

An eighth Votan race did exist, but are believed to have died out when the Votan star system was destroyed, either because they were still trapped on their home planet or because they didn't survive the journey to Earth.

Wiki

Anyone seen any information on the 6th and 7th race? I wonder if the 8th race will be mentioned in a similar light to the Xindi Avians of if they may come into play later on as a deep dark secret.
                          Last edited by Spimman; 08 January 2013, 12:27 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

6 and 7 have not been mentioned yet. As for the 8th, well they were said to still be alive but left behind for dead by the others.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                              6 and 7 have not been mentioned yet. As for the 8th, well they were said to still be alive but left behind for dead by the others.
                              Sounds like the 8th race group would have grounds for some revenge then.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I won't be playing the game, but the show looks really interesting and I'm planning on giving it a try.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X