Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Default Re: 'Defiance' (Rockne S. O'Bannon/Syfy) -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

What I wanted to say I like such alien races in RPGs or scifi show where the backgrounds and motivations are well-written. I mean you can not say that x race can be only one profession and the following y race can be only interested in something else etc. I want to see a living society, where you can feel that the presented alien race or even its individual member has a culture, a mythology, different goals and motivates, bad and good anatomical skills and habits etc.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

Default Re: 'Defiance' (Rockne S. O'Bannon/Syfy) -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Sp!der View Post
    I'm usually not a gamer but this i will try out.
    I've never done that kind of game either (online multiple players, right?) but I was going take a shot at it too. I was pretty shocked that Syfy was even attempting this show, given their history.

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Platschu View Post
    What I wanted to say I like such alien races in RPGs or scifi show where the backgrounds and motivations are well-written. I mean you can not say that x race can be only one profession and the following y race can be only interested in something else etc. I want to see a living society, where you can feel that the presented alien race or even its individual member has a culture, a mythology, different goals and motivates, bad and good anatomical skills and habits etc.
    I doubt that all of each of the races fits into those professions. From looking at ourselves we see that there are always those who go against what their culture considers normal. We have been told that the Indogene have lots of technological and genetic implants which make them good at tech and such. Maybe the Liberatta are very good cooks (or at the very least, considering cooking, cleaning etc as the top jobs) and thus often go into service positions.

Lieutenant Colonel

If you didn't know, you can know sign up for beta here: vonbachindustries.com

Lieutenant Colonel

For anyone who wants to know (seem to be the biggest questions). The Defiance game is launched on April 1st and the show begins on April 15th. The game is on PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 however you only get to play with people on the same machine, so if your on PC you cant play with someone on PS3 etc. It is buy to play but you can also purchase other things in game for your character.

There is a two-day beta test on January 18th, sign up at http://vonbachindustries.com. More info can be found at http://defiance.com or http://en.defiance-wiki.com

C'mon people get excited, we actually get a sci-fi show. A real sci-fi show!

I'm really hopeful that this show is good and does well. Everything I've read sounds awesome!
    <a href=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/spimman/media/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/spimman/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg target=_blank>http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...ps2497bbad.jpg</a></a>

A brief summary of the races.

The Votans are not a single species, but a collection of seven different alien species who evolved on separate planets in the Votan star system. The different races banded together to flee their star system when their sun went nova, and ultimately arrived at Earth.[5]

Castithan - One of the more prominent races in the series, the Castithan appear very similar to humans. Their coloration is very pale, however, verging on albinism, with pale white skin, white hair, and pale yellow eyes. The Castithans used to have a patriarchal, rigidly segregated caste-based society on their home planet, though this has broken down somewhat among the survivors on Earth due to the harsh conditions of the war and its aftermath. Datak Tarr, co-founder of Defiance (in the former location of St. Louis) is a Castithan, from one of the lower castes. His wife, Stahma Tarr, is from one of the Castithan higher castes. As a member of the lower castes, Datak possesses more egalitarian values, striving to work with other races through sharing of power to achieve mutual defense. As a member of the higher castes which benefited from the old patriarchical hierarchy, Stahma feels that their family should acquire more power for itself. However, this very ideology insists that it is not a woman's place to seize power, thus Stahma is faced with goading Datak into taking more aggressive measures so that he (and by extension, she) will possess more power. The Castithan language is created by linguist David J. Peterson, developer of the Dothraki language used in Game of Thrones.

Indogene - the most technologically advanced Votan race. They have bright white skin and no visible hair follicles. Their heads are hairless and smooth; their external ears don't really protrude, smoothly merging with the rest of the head. They have hexagonal shaped irises, and their skin is covered in faint hexagon-shaped scales; even their written language is based on hexagon shapes. As the most scientifically advanced Votan race, they have been upgraded with numerous genetic and cybernetic implants (which are often not externally visible). Culturally, they tend to be technical geniuses and intellectuals.

Irathient - A near-human race with an affinity for nature and adept at tribal warfare, described as almost feral marauders. Their coloration is more similar to humans than the pale Castithans, with brightly colored hair and white markings on their faces (which might be cultural decoration, not biological). However, the proportions of their facial features and slightly different from humans (and the human-like Castithans), with a wider bridge of the nose arcing towards the eyes, and very large multi-colored irises.

Liberatta - slightly shorter than humans, they have with blockier facial features. They have long scruffy yellow hair. They are described as a servant-class race. Their language includes a high frequency of slang terms.

Sensoth - slightly larger and taller than humans, they basically resemble a more humanoid orangutan. Their bodies are covered in reddish-brown fur, except on their faces, which have grayish skin. Their jaws protrude further forward than on humans, like apes (actors playing Sensoth characters have remote-controlled prosthetic appliances attached to their heads to achieve this effect).

An eighth Votan race did exist, but are believed to have died out when the Votan star system was destroyed, either because they were still trapped on their home planet or because they didn't survive the journey to Earth.

Wiki

Anyone seen any information on the 6th and 7th race? I wonder if the 8th race will be mentioned in a similar light to the Xindi Avians of if they may come into play later on as a deep dark secret.
    Last edited by Spimman; January 8th, 2013 at 12:27 PM.
    <a href=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/spimman/media/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/spimman/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg target=_blank>http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...ps2497bbad.jpg</a></a>

Lieutenant Colonel

6 and 7 have not been mentioned yet. As for the 8th, well they were said to still be alive but left behind for dead by the others.

Running for my life from a hoard of zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by escyos View Post
    6 and 7 have not been mentioned yet. As for the 8th, well they were said to still be alive but left behind for dead by the others.
    Sounds like the 8th race group would have grounds for some revenge then.

MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

I won't be playing the game, but the show looks really interesting and I'm planning on giving it a try.

This Promo does look really good, I wont be play Definace for a while not untill summer but I will surely watch the pilot when it aires in april... I really cant wait and I really hope that it gets a chance from syfy and from the viewers.

Lieutenant Colonel

There is still a few hours (a little under 3) to sign up for beta. Chances are you might not get in though, you should still try.

Any word if the april premier is global? i'm just wondering if australia will get it in april

Quote Originally Posted by Sp!der View Post

This Promo does look really good, I wont be play Definace for a while not untill summer but I will surely watch the pilot when it aires in april... I really cant wait and I really hope that it gets a chance from syfy and from the viewers.
    WOW looks really good, might help to reinvigorate the sci fi t.v genre which i have missed

Dont know if i will be playing the game, if its an MMO probably not... i tend to steer clear of those, but if its something like halo i might give it a try
    Last Movie Watched
    X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
    Life is Strange

Lieutenant Colonel

You can now pre-order the game (and get some extra sstuff) http://defiance.com/preorder

While I do not plan on playing the game, I do intend to give this show a try.

"...phu...ah..."

Whoa ... I thought the game would be free. But I guess this is one way to make sci-fi lucrative so, what the hell!

Lieutenant Colonel

If you have a trion account and plan to use the game go to http://defiance.com/en/my-ego and use the codes here http://forums.defiance.com/showthrea...ll=1#post16720 to get some free stuff when the game comes out.

I'll post a link to more codes when they become available.

Lieutenant General poundpuppy29's Avatar

I will give the show a chance I loved Farscape

My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
    poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Lieutenant Colonel

55 days until the game and 68 days until the show!

If your after more game info go to the Defiance wiki game page, I've added a bunch more info to the site including info on PvP and co-op.

Quote Originally Posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
    I will give the show a chance I loved Farscape
    I loved Farscape too. If this can have any of the magic that great show did, it should do well.

"...phu...ah..."