Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter

Default Re: 'Untitled Rockne S. O'Bannon project' (Syfy) -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
    Few channels are as brutal at axing shows without giving them conclusions. Now my favourite channel, HBO, has axed shows, but there were at least mitigating circumstances with them. Eg with Rome they had a $100 million price tag per season, the BBC pulled out of funding and the sets then burned down. And even then, HBO have actually said they regret cancelling shows like Rome and Deadwood and that it was a mistake to cancel them.

Whereas syfy will unapologetically cancel anything and replace it with wrestling.
    Maybe not in your country but they are here. With the exception of the preminium channels you love so much many shows are cancelled without notice to make room for others.
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Lieutenant Colonel

Default Re: 'Untitled Rockne S. O'Bannon project' (Syfy) -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    Maybe not in your country but they are here. With the exception of the preminium channels you love so much many shows are cancelled without notice to make room for others.
    "Everybody else is doing it" is not a valid excuse for bad behaviour. Shows get cancelled yes, and when something's getting awful reviews or bad ratings it's understandable. SGU being canned is something I don't agree with, but it has undeniably being getting bad ratings, it makes some sense.

But let us not forget that the last major Rockne S. O'Bannon project with syfy, Farscape, was renewed for a 4th and 5th season, before they reneged on that deal and pulled the plug at the end of the season. Syfy as a network renege on deals, under promote or badly promote many of their shows, cancel things at will and seem ever concerned with the lowest common denominator. Many of the major networks are just as guilty of this yes, but as I said, this is not a valid defence. Syfy's track record leaves me nothing but despondent, that this show will not receive the love it deserves and get cancelled in 5 minutes flat to be replaced by wrestling or a reality show.

Networks pull shows all the time, its nothing new. The reason SyFy is one of the worst culprits is because it exclusively airs Sci-Fi shows (and wrestling apparently) so when something gets cancelled it draws the ire of the community because in general Sci-Fi shows are few and far between in relation to all other genres. NBC, ABC, FOX all just as guilty with the other genre shows.

HBO, Showtime and premium cable channels don't cancel that often because lets face it, on average the quality of those shows is always a step above. They will always draw an audience, and the network's expectations of ratings differ greatly from regular cable networks.

Now back on topic, Rockne sounds excited about this new show. I won't get too excited until I hear the premise and more details surrounding the show though.

Ooh...interesting.

Still, I'd sooner hear news about those 'webisodes' for Farscape.
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43546&dateline=1312852922

Quote Originally Posted by gotthammer View Post
    Ooh...interesting.

Still, I'd sooner hear news about those 'webisodes' for Farscape.
    I doubt if those will ever happen. That O'Bannon is working on this new project seems to me only further proof.
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

Sound like he joining a project rather than creating something entirely new. So probably a other show like Eureka or Warehouse 13.
    But like the rest if it new, bold and high quality and expensive it will be cancel by the end of season 2 on a cliff hangar.

*comes in excited*

*thinks about SyFy's history*

*starts crying*

Quote Originally Posted by Replicator Todd View Post
    *comes in excited*

*thinks about SyFy's history*

*starts crying*
    I know a station cancelling a TV show is so unheard of
    Jelgate is right

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    I know a station cancelling a TV show is so unheard of
    With the SyFy channel its seems a very common thing IMO. Then again its starting to seem sci-fi/fantasy can't survive on TV anymore IMO.

I have a laundry list of complaints about Syfylis as long as my arm, but jelly certainly has a point in that they become the focus of our ire because they do more sci fi programming than other networks.
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Replicator Todd View Post
    With the SyFy channel its seems a very common thing IMO. Then again its starting to seem sci-fi/fantasy can't survive on TV anymore IMO.
    May is comming up. Just take a count of the shows that networks cancel. Its hardly a SyFy channel thing
    Jelgate is right

Chief Master Sergeant

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Flibby View Post
    OK well this will fall apart in less than 30 seconds. Combining doing a scifi tv show (already a risky proposition) with an MMO is a recipe for disaster. Most MMO's fail, the market is over saturated, and Star Wars: The Old Republic is coming later this year so it will edge out any other competition. Unless this is free to play I can't see the MMO side lasting, and even if it is, there is still a good chance of it failing.

Chief Master Sergeant

The MMO market is oversaturated with ****ty fantasy games, not quite so much with scifi games, although there has been an increase in new scifi mmo's lately, most of them are failures.
    There certainly aren't any good scifi shooters right now. Neocron was amazing, but it's dead until Neocron 3 comes out 10 years from now. Global Agenda was a nice try, but it wasn't a real MMO. Fallen Earth was a failure.
    I think that there's a huge vacancy in the MMO market right now, and that's a not ****ty scifi shooter MMO.

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Flibby View Post
    The MMO market is oversaturated with ****ty fantasy games, not quite so much with scifi games, although there has been an increase in new scifi mmo's lately, most of them are failures.
    There certainly aren't any good scifi shooters right now. Neocron was amazing, but it's dead until Neocron 3 comes out 10 years from now. Global Agenda was a nice try, but it wasn't a real MMO. Fallen Earth was a failure.
    I think that there's a huge vacancy in the MMO market right now, and that's a not ****ty scifi shooter MMO.
    Whether its scifi or not has very little to do with it. With an MMO there is only a market for a couple of top tier MMO's and maybe a few other games that have found a niche audience. You already have World of Warcraft and soon the Old Republic. That's your top level of MMO's then the more niche markets is covered by stuff like EVE Online and the Lord of the Rings Online.

With anything else, films, books, tv, normal videogames, simply because another product sells doesn't mean that yours won't either. If 10 million people buy Call of Duty, that doesn't matter for most other games, people can afford to buy them as well. But with an MMO the time you need to play and the cost in subscription fees mean that you can only play one at a time. If 10 million people are playing World of Warcraft, that's 10 million people who won't play your game.

Look at this chart

Spoilered for size

Spoiler:

World of Warcraft dominated in 2008 and it still does today, it's number of subscriptions has gone up. And Star Wars: The Old Republic is hotly anticipated and will eat up the rest of the market. People gravitate towards the bests reviewed and most advertised games, and I really doubt that Syfy can compete with the quality or the amount of money in advertising that Blizzard and Bioware will throw behind their products.

Companies look at World of Warcraft and see that it makes billions of dollars per year and want a piece of the action. MGM clearly wanted to do that with their Stargate MMO. But what they fail to realise is that the expense of making these games and the difficulty in breaking into the market mean that most of these games end as abject failures.

Lieutenant Colonel

A rather ambiguous trailer for the game has now surfaced from E3

Lieutenant Colonel

Default Re: 'Defiance' (Rockne S. O'Bannon/Syfy) -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

PC Gamer now have a preview of the game.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/08/e3...i-shooter-mmo/

Default Re: 'Defiance' (Rockne S. O'Bannon/Syfy) -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

So I am guesting this is there project that suppose to combine TV and Games together and where the actions of the players in the virtual world will affect the events that take during the show.

I look forward to seeing how it will evolve.
    I will also be waiting to see how much this game will cost to pay. An whether Syfy can organise the show to be shown on mainstream channels where people will see it.
    Last edited by knowles2; June 9th, 2011 at 10:57 AM.

Wouldn't it be interesting if the game became/continued to be a success, after Syfylis cancels the show? That'd grab my attention a lot more than comic continuations.

Even though the only MMO for me is/will be SWTOR.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Wouldn't it be interesting if the game became/continued to be a success, after Syfylis cancels the show? That'd grab my attention a lot more than comic continuations.

Even though the only MMO for me is/will be SWTOR.
    SWTOR? Star Wars The Old Republic?