Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "American Gods" (HBO) -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

http://airlockalpha.com/node/8426/hb...ds-series.html

HBO Planning 'American Gods' Series
    Premium cable channel looking to pick-up a series written by 'Doctor Who' scribe, Neil Gaiman

It looks like the success of "Game Of Thrones," which has become a hit without airing even a single episode, has inspired HBO to look at other literary works for future adaptation.

One novel being considered is "American Gods," written by "Doctor Who" scribe Neil Gaiman. The premise of the novel deals with mythological creatures, Gods and other bizarre phenomenon that all exist purely because people believe in them. The story revolves around an ex-convict known as Shadow who, after being released from prison, takes up a job working for Odin.

The book was published in 2001 and has received critical attention by winning Hugo and Nebula Awards.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, "American Gods" is being developed by Playtone (the same production company that was behind "Band of Brothers").

HBO is currently preparing for the premiere of "Game Of Thrones," based on novels by R.R. Martin. Already the series is expected to top $1 billion in international revenue, up about 50% over the figure HBO recorded three years ago. The series is now HBO's best-selling series abroad with a price tag of more than $2.5 million per episode ... that's more than 50% above the price for "The Sopranos."
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

Lieutenant Colonel

Default Re: "American Gods" (HBO) -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

This accurately sums up my feelings on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    It looks like the success of "Game Of Thrones," which has become a hit without airing even a single episode
    To this quote.

Good to see other sci fi and fantasy getting more attention

this looks like win
    Last Movie Watched
    X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
    Life is Strange

First Lieutenant themeatcleaver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magictrick View Post
    Good to see other sci fi and fantasy getting more attention
    hbo is one killer advertising machine, thats for sure. syfy should take notes.

Gaiman can do no wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_kennedy View Post
    this looks like win
    it sure is. I am very excited for this.

Oooh. Interesting.
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43546&dateline=1312852922

Mighty Avenger - Moderator Madwelshboy's Avatar
    Somewhere between the lab and labour ward

HBO’s Big-Budget American Gods Series Set To Run For Six Seasons

HBO won’t skimp on its previously announced adaptation of American Gods, Neil Gaiman’s award-winning 2001 fantasy novel. Not that there were any doubts, given the cable channel’s recent history of lavish productions like Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire and Rome.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the network and Tom Hanks’ Playtone Productions plan at least six seasons, each with 10 to 12 hour-long episodes, with a budget of $30 million to $40 million per season. By comparison, the epic fantasy Game of Thrones has an estimated budget of $50 million to $60 million.

“There are some crazy things in there,” Playtone partner Gary Goetzman tells the trade paper. “We’ll probably be doing more effects in there than it’s been done on a television series.”

continues:
    http://spinoff.comicbookresources.co...r-six-seasons/

Wow already committing to 6 seasons before it even airs? And I thought they were quick to commit to a 2nd season for Game of Thrones after only one episode aired. Can't say I'm complaining though

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by magictrick View Post
    Wow already committing to 6 seasons before it even airs? And I thought they were quick to commit to a 2nd season for Game of Thrones after only one episode aired. Can't say I'm complaining though
    Well I imagine that's more subject to ratings rather than set in stone. Game of Thrones is planned to have 7 or 8 seasons, but obviously they still have to get the ratings each year.

Valid. Carnivale had a six season plan too, but the jerks cancelled it after two.
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

Update

I think Donald Sutherland would make a fabulous Wednesday and Jason Momoa is a possibility for Shadow. Not that anyone at HBO cares what I think, of course.

This sounds interesting! Hopefully it would air when Game of Thrones doesn't so we get more awesome shows through out the year.
    Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

You may have noticed this show never materialized. Here's why:

Here’s Why the ‘American Gods’ HBO Series Never Happened

You may recall that a few years back, HBO was planning a six-season adaptation of Neil Gaiman‘s American Gods. You may also have noticed that that it never actually came to pass. So what happened? Michael Lombardo, HBO’s president of programming, has the answer.

Lombardo touched upon the scrapped American Gods plans in a conversation with Vulture. After admitting he was sad HBO had lost the option to American Gods, he explained:
    I think we’re all huge fans of the book, and I think the script just didn’t — we couldn’t craft the script as good as we needed it to be. I think we knew going in that it would be a challenge; every good book is a challenge to adapt it and find the level you need for it. The bar is high now for great dramas. And to find that bar — we tried. So it was a huge disappointment […] We tried three different writers, we put a lot of effort into it. Some things just don’t happen. We have to trust at the end of the day, if you don’t have a star with a great script, you’re just not going to go through with it.
    He concluded, “Even though we love the book, we love the idea, we love the hope of what it could be, we just couldn’t get it right.”

Funnily enough, Gaiman revealed last year that one of the things HBO didn’t like about his script was that he’d added new material that wasn’t in the books. “[I]t was definitely the sort of awkward, embarrassed notes from HBO where they’re going ‘Um, can you make it more like the book?’” he recalled.

Overall, though, it’s tough to argue with Lombardo’s reasoning. It’s clear HBO put in the effort, even if they didn’t always see eye-to-eye with Gaiman, but was smart enough to recognize when their best just wasn’t good enough. Their decision spared fans the heartbreak of seeing beloved source material turned into a subpar series.

Plus, it’s left the door open for someone else to do the story right. After HBO lost the rights, FremantleMedia swooped in to scoop them up. They’re now developing a new version of the American Gods series with Gaiman serving as executive producer.

Thanks for posting this Digi. I'd forgotten about this show.

I found this frustrating:
    "Funnily enough, Gaiman revealed last year that one of the things HBO didn’t like about his script was that he’d added new material that wasn’t in the books. “[I]t was definitely the sort of awkward, embarrassed notes from HBO where they’re going ‘Um, can you make it more like the book?’” he recalled.

Overall, though, it’s tough to argue with Lombardo’s reasoning. It’s clear HBO put in the effort, even if they didn’t always see eye-to-eye with Gaiman, but was smart enough to recognize when their best just wasn’t good enough. Their decision spared fans the heartbreak of seeing beloved source material turned into a subpar series."

The WRITER of the book's script wasn't good enough. Um WTF?!? Even if he decided to change some things how could it even be close to subpar when it's the actual author of the book. Good gravy! If the series True Blood could last this long with how FAR from the books it has been... well, I'm speechless.
    Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Quote Originally Posted by Angela V View Post
    Thanks for posting this Digi. I'd forgotten about this show.

I found this frustrating:
    "Funnily enough, Gaiman revealed last year that one of the things HBO didn’t like about his script was that he’d added new material that wasn’t in the books. “[I]t was definitely the sort of awkward, embarrassed notes from HBO where they’re going ‘Um, can you make it more like the book?’” he recalled.

Overall, though, it’s tough to argue with Lombardo’s reasoning. It’s clear HBO put in the effort, even if they didn’t always see eye-to-eye with Gaiman, but was smart enough to recognize when their best just wasn’t good enough. Their decision spared fans the heartbreak of seeing beloved source material turned into a subpar series."

The WRITER of the book's script wasn't good enough. Um WTF?!? Even if he decided to change some things how could it even be close to subpar when it's the actual author of the book. Good gravy! If the series True Blood could last this long with how FAR from the books it has been... well, I'm speechless.
    It depends on how much Gaiman fiddled with it. Give a writer a chance to re-read a previous work and he's likely to hate half of it.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

....and then suddenly Starz picked it up:

--

Starz Picked up the American Gods TV Show, and Bryan Fuller Is Co-Showrunning

Here’s where we left the American Gods TV show: HBO was going to do it but then didn’t, because reasons. FremantleMedia picked up the slack and started developing their own version, but with no network attached.

And here’s where are are now: Starz just picked up American Gods. Neil Gaiman will executive produce along with Bryan Fuller (Pushing Daisies, Hannibal) and Michael Green (Kings, Heroes), who are showrunning. Fuller will write the pilot.

Everything is beautiful and nothing hurts.

Starz Managing Director Carmi Zlotnik promises “a series that honors the book and does right by the fans and viewers,” but of course he would say that. I’m more interested in what Gaiman, who wrote the book American Gods, has to say. And here he is:

“When you create something like American Gods, which attracts fans and obsessives and people who tattoo quotes from it on themselves or each other, and who all, tattooed or not, just care about it deeply, it’s really important to pick your team carefully: you don’t want to let the fans down, or the people who care and have been casting it online since the dawn of recorded history. What I love most about the team who I trust to take it out to the world, is that they are the same kind of fanatics that American Gods has attracted since the start. I haven’t actually checked Bryan Fuller or Michael Green for quote tattoos, but I would not be surprised if they have them. The people at Fremantle are the kinds of people who have copies of American Gods in the bottom of their backpacks after going around the world, and who press them on their friends. And the team at Starz have been quite certain that they wanted to give Shadow, Wednesday and Laura a home since they first heard that the book was out there.I can’t wait to see what they do to bring the story to the widest possible audience able to cope with it.”
    “Neil Gaiman has created the holiest of holy toy boxes with American Gods and filled it with all manner of magical thing, born of new gods and old,” adds Fuller. “Michael Green and I are thrilled to crack this toy box wide open and unleash the fantastical titans of heaven and earth and Neil’s vividly prolific imagination.”

--

Link

I just started reading this the other day, and I can't put it down. As for the tv series, lets just say that Starz + Gaiman + Fuller = how can this miss.

Casting speculation:

Shadow - Jason Momoa

Wednesday - Malcolm McDowell

Mad Sweeney - Brian Robinson