X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"American Gods" (HBO) -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

http://airlockalpha.com/node/8426/hb...ds-series.html

HBO Planning 'American Gods' Series
    Premium cable channel looking to pick-up a series written by 'Doctor Who' scribe, Neil Gaiman

It looks like the success of "Game Of Thrones," which has become a hit without airing even a single episode, has inspired HBO to look at other literary works for future adaptation.

One novel being considered is "American Gods," written by "Doctor Who" scribe Neil Gaiman. The premise of the novel deals with mythological creatures, Gods and other bizarre phenomenon that all exist purely because people believe in them. The story revolves around an ex-convict known as Shadow who, after being released from prison, takes up a job working for Odin.

The book was published in 2001 and has received critical attention by winning Hugo and Nebula Awards.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, "American Gods" is being developed by Playtone (the same production company that was behind "Band of Brothers").

HBO is currently preparing for the premiere of "Game Of Thrones," based on novels by R.R. Martin. Already the series is expected to top $1 billion in international revenue, up about 50% over the figure HBO recorded three years ago. The series is now HBO's best-selling series abroad with a price tag of more than $2.5 million per episode ... that's more than 50% above the price for "The Sopranos."
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

This accurately sums up my feelings on this subject.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      It looks like the success of "Game Of Thrones," which has become a hit without airing even a single episode
      To this quote.
      sigpic

Comment

Good to see other sci fi and fantasy getting more attention
        sigpic

Comment

this looks like win
          Last Movie Watched
          X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
          Life is Strange

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
            Good to see other sci fi and fantasy getting more attention
            hbo is one killer advertising machine, thats for sure. syfy should take notes.

Comment

Gaiman can do no wrong.
              sigpic
              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
                this looks like win
                it sure is. I am very excited for this.
                sigpic

Comment

Oooh. Interesting.
                  sigpic

Comment

HBO’s Big-Budget American Gods Series Set To Run For Six Seasons

HBO won’t skimp on its previously announced adaptation of American Gods, Neil Gaiman’s award-winning 2001 fantasy novel. Not that there were any doubts, given the cable channel’s recent history of lavish productions like Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire and Rome.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the network and Tom Hanks’ Playtone Productions plan at least six seasons, each with 10 to 12 hour-long episodes, with a budget of $30 million to $40 million per season. By comparison, the epic fantasy Game of Thrones has an estimated budget of $50 million to $60 million.

“There are some crazy things in there,” Playtone partner Gary Goetzman tells the trade paper. “We’ll probably be doing more effects in there than it’s been done on a television series.”

continues:
                    http://spinoff.comicbookresources.co...r-six-seasons/

Comment

Wow already committing to 6 seasons before it even airs? And I thought they were quick to commit to a 2nd season for Game of Thrones after only one episode aired. Can't say I'm complaining though
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                        Wow already committing to 6 seasons before it even airs? And I thought they were quick to commit to a 2nd season for Game of Thrones after only one episode aired. Can't say I'm complaining though
                        Well I imagine that's more subject to ratings rather than set in stone. Game of Thrones is planned to have 7 or 8 seasons, but obviously they still have to get the ratings each year.

Comment

Valid. Carnivale had a six season plan too, but the jerks cancelled it after two.
                          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Update

I think Donald Sutherland would make a fabulous Wednesday and Jason Momoa is a possibility for Shadow. Not that anyone at HBO cares what I think, of course.

Comment

This sounds interesting! Hopefully it would air when Game of Thrones doesn't so we get more awesome shows through out the year.
                              Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Working...
                              X