Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fractures

Ok...

Did I just witness TJ telling the injured corporal who was worried that he'd 'broken his leg' that it was 'probably just a fracture'...

Seriously...?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

your point?

Comment

A fracture IS a break.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Maybe she was merely refering to the severity of the break.

Or more likely - no one else cared what she said.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
          Ok...

Did I just witness TJ telling the injured corporal who was worried that he'd 'broken his leg' that it was 'probably just a fracture'...

Seriously...?
          I thought the same thing. I think what she was meaning to say was "hairline fracture".

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
            Maybe she was merely refering to the severity of the break.

Or more likely - no one else cared what she said.
            I totally agree with this

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
              I totally agree with this
              *shrugs*

I care. Some people complain about poor science. I have little knowledge in this area. What I can talk about with some expertise are military affairs, international relations and, through my voluntary work and training, immediate medical care. As a first aid instructor, it irks me when people say 'it's not broken, just fractured'...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Yeah I noticed but I passed if off. Stargate has been screwing up medicine since Children of the Gods
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Perhaps she meant crack? Because a cracked bone is less severe than a broken bone. Not that I'm an expert or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    Yeah I noticed but I passed if off. Stargate has been screwing up medicine since Children of the Gods
                    I know, but I'd hoped they'd step up their game with SGU... elements of previous episodes (bar Riley's Crush injury) suggested as much.

Originally posted by Mr Evil 37 View Post
                    Perhaps she meant crack? Because a cracked bone is less severe than a broken bone. Not that I'm an expert or anything.
                    Any structural damage to a bone whether complete or incomplete is considered a fracture, though yes you're right there are differing levels of severity...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

It's been many years since I did any first aid training, but from what I recall a "hairline fracture" is relatively minor enough that a person could walk (or limp) around for several days with a hairline fracture in their leg before it became a debilitating injury.
                      I have also noticed through various sports, that hairline fractures seem to be classed simply as "fractures" to differentiate them from "broken" which implies a much more serious injury.

That being said, I can understand how the average person and the writers of SGU may refer to a "hairline fracture" as just a fracture.
                      However I feel that a trained medical officer, especially someone with front line medical training as TJ would most likely have, would never make such a generalization.

I think it is simply a case of the writers did not do the research

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                        A fracture IS a break.
                        green branch or stress fracture in their situation would be much better than an actual "break"

I get what you're saying but the audience sees fractures and breaks a little different. The SGU audience would be a little less sophicated that what we'd see for B5, ST, or even other SG shows. You're dealing BG and drama fans now.

Comment

broken implies an actual, clean-through broken bone. fractures can be anything from very minor to actually and fully broken. a step up is a shattered bone.

but given the circumstance, yes it's poor science.

Comment

look at the audience...
                            gotta dumb it down for the non-convential scifi fans

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                              broken implies an actual, clean-through broken bone. fractures can be anything from very minor to actually and fully broken. a step up is a shattered bone.

but given the circumstance, yes it's poor science.
                              Implies, but is not. That's the key thing. If this was physics, the science guys here would be in uproar...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X