Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does the Tollan home-made gate work?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does the Tollan home-made gate work?

I couldnt see any chevrons or adress symbols on it.

Also, since it would have a custom dialing program made by the Tollan, couldn't it dial out to any address, even the ones that only earth dials to, if supplied with the proper adress, (such as Atlantis or Othalla)? It wouldn't be a good way for the Alterans to protect atlantis from outsiders if every species that came along could build a stargate that dials there...

Please help my dragon grow!

I don't remember how it looks like exactly, but it was custom built so it would look different for sure. The functionality would be the same though.

As for dialing out, any gate in the Stargate network could dial those addresses as long as they had the massive power requirements (zpms).
    sigpic

Comment

It could be fed the Addresses by computer or something.

Earth isn't the only Gate that can dial Othalla, any Gate can do it as long as it's got enough power. (I think)

The reason Earth's the only gate that can dial Atlantis is because Janus blocked all other connections. I don't know if that just meant outside of Pegasus forever or any gate was blocked until Earth came. I think the dialogue implies the latter;

JANIS: I've blocked all addresses to the Gate except Earth. You will be safe.
      So even with a custom gate I don't think the Tollans could have dialed Atlantis, because it was blocked on the Atlantis end and had nothing to with the out going gate except location. Unless the Tollans could somehow trick the gate system that their gate is from Earth they wouldn't have been able to do it.

The reason Atlantis is the only Gate in Pegasus that can dial Earth is because it's the only one with the necessary crystal for 8-chevron dialing. I'm not sure if this is the case with Milky Way gates or not. If this is the case then, as Earth doesn't have a DHD, O'Neill could have easily programmed in the dialing computer an effective crystal that allowed them to do it. So, if a crystal/program was needed for 8-chevron dialing then it's conceivable that the Tollans could make their own, and then they could dial Atlantis.

Atlantis is protected enough with the shield, so it doesn't really matter if anyone can dial them.
      Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

given that the tollan gate needs to dial ancient gates, it's rather safe to assume it has as many ancient systems copied as possible to minimize software problems. plus it saves a large amount of programming.

Comment

I would imagine that it is more digital much like the Pegasus versions and doesn't need to spin/lock to create a wormhole.

Comment

I wonder where they had their 'dhd'?

Comment

Even if Janus hadn’t blocked all other addresses the Tolan didn’t have the address to dial Atlantis. Also their gate did have chevrons, they were just white same as the rest of the gate so they are kind of hard to see.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X