No announcement yet.

Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Spam filter delay"? That's a new one. Either that, or my memory is failing me, because I don't recall that from when I signed up. Of course, they may not have had it in place then.

I did see that you'd signed up and favorited me. (Oh help me, I'm verbing!) Thanks! When I go back over there tomorrow, I'll link you on my profile as well. I'm off to bed now.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
    sigpic
    now also appearing on DeviantArt
    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Thanks!

The spam filter delay may have to do with the exponential increase of spammers joining every BB around. We get 50 or so every day. Around here it's why they moderate the probie's first posts.

Feast of the Day, a couple of my collaborative stories are there under elle-nora''s name, but they are all Highlanders. I haven't been brave enough to post any of mine.
      Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Delay

To reduce spam, there is a short 2 day waiting period before new users are allowed to submit stories.

Document Manager will be functional on April 23, 2011, 10:15 pm PST (US Pacific Standard Time/West Coast).
        Meh. Maybe in two days I'll have another vignette to share.

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
        I haven't been brave enough to post any of mine.
        Can you be bribed? I have German chocolate... Something tells me you'd have great stories.
        Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
        Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

the pesky russians and china spam rings cracked recapatcha (those jumbled letters and numbers) so they can now use computer programs to sign up for dozens/hundreds of accounts....and then use them to spam. There's not a bulletin board out there that hasn't been hit. Before we found and installed the spam blocker we had over 200 regs a day...we normally have a dozen or so

they were literally joining faster than we could spam them

it's effected live journal, i'm sure ff.net and other sites....LJ has not only suffered from several DOS attacks, they've had issues with notifications working, because spammers would sign up and spam, then would get added to spam lists, which would then get IP's to block legit mails because it was the general sender that was blocked, not on a mail by mail level
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I will never understand why they think that "marketing tactic" works. Seriously. A little dignity and some work with a professional translator is all I'm asking for here.

Your engrish is not helpful.
            Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
            Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

Originally posted by Feast of the Muse View Post
              Ah. That might explain it. I joined back in '09 sometime, probably so I could comment on someone's work if I decided I wanted to and be reachable for a response, but I didn't even try to submit a story until September 2010, so if there was a delay feature in place, I might well have not even noticed it.

I'll second that bribery-for-stories.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
              Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                the pesky russians and china spam rings cracked recapatcha (those jumbled letters and numbers) so they can now use computer programs to sign up for dozens/hundreds of accounts....and then use them to spam. There's not a bulletin board out there that hasn't been hit. Before we found and installed the spam blocker we had over 200 regs a day...we normally have a dozen or so

they were literally joining faster than we could spam them

it's effected live journal, i'm sure ff.net and other sites....LJ has not only suffered from several DOS attacks, they've had issues with notifications working, because spammers would sign up and spam, then would get added to spam lists, which would then get IP's to block legit mails because it was the general sender that was blocked, not on a mail by mail level
                Oh, I know all about that. I used to run a forum of my own, and got mightily tired of the spammers. I just didn't recall there being a delay on FF.net at the time I joined. But if I wasn't trying to submit any stories then, that probably explains why I don't recall it -- it didn't really affect me.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Feast of the Muse View Post

Can you be bribed? I have German chocolate... Something tells me you'd have great stories.
                  You are very kind. However, the vast majority of my stories are Highlander fanfiction. I'm working on my second crossover, but I have realized I've been writing with a Highlander audience in mind...

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                  Ah. That might explain it. I joined back in '09 sometime, probably so I could comment on someone's work if I decided I wanted to and be reachable for a response, but I didn't even try to submit a story until September 2010, so if there was a delay feature in place, I might well have not even noticed it.

I'll second that bribery-for-stories.
                  Thank you!
                  Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

I had an idea for a fic today.
                    Using the team I usually use in my fic and SG-1.
                    It will possibly be a re-write of an existing fic.
                    "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                    Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                    Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                    Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                    I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                    To thy own self... Be true
                    May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

The only thing I have left after Manhood s to fix Measure of a Man, but I need to go over two entire series for that, as it continues both SG1 and SGA.
                      Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
                        The only thing I have left after Manhood s to fix Measure of a Man, but I need to go over two entire series for that, as it continues both SG1 and SGA.
                        Good luck!
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Well I have a few pieces that I started but didn't finish.
                          Plus a few that I might re-write, or make slight changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                            Good luck!
                            Thanks. I should work on some women characters when I expand it. SG can be such a sausagefest.

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

The team I write about is mostly female...
                              With 1 male team member...

But I'm following a suggestion from SF&C and introducing the team in a SG-1 based fic.

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                                The team I write about is mostly female...
                                With 1 male team member...

But I'm following a suggestion from SF&C and introducing the team in a SG-1 based fic.
                                I'd go that route if I could, but the plot is about someone leaking files about the Stargate Program to the public. I don't think a new team would fit... yet at least.

Comment

Working...
                                X