How does Destiny go so far on low fuel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does Destiny go so far on low fuel?

How does the destiny go so far witout fueling up? You cant make a hyperspace jump then use inertia to get the rest of the way. Hyperspace isnt moving faster. iits moving differently (up versus sideways)

It cant receive naquadah (or naquadriah) from the icarus planet because:

A: If it needed fuel it couldnt dial an 8-chevron adress.

B: its gone

Thoughts?

Please help my dragon grow!

I'm sure the computer is capable of making the necessary calculations/manuevers to ensure it gets where it is going. We don't know that the seed ships or whatever aren't automatically programmed to "jumpstart" each other or destiny if they hit empty. For all we know, there may be an emergency battery of zpms that kick in when this situation arises.

Comment

Um....the energy from the suns
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        I think the OP is more refering to the length of time between sundives jel
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

its not traveling via hyperspace but another form of FTL that gives it inertia

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
            its not traveling via hyperspace but another form of FTL that gives it inertia
            this. destiny doesn't use hyperspace, it travels at faster than light speeds through our own space/time so there would certainly be inertia but to answer your question.. i'd imagine it simply fuels up more often these days than it would have when it was brand new.

Comment

Sabotage suggests the ship actually did fall short on power the last few intergalactic journeys. the rest of the trip was done on relativistic speeds.

Comment

Computer: Power is at 5%. There are 9 stars within distance still leaving enough power for shields. Setting course for closest star.

Really not that far of a stretch...

Comment

The ship calculates how long it has between sun dives; it knows exactly how long it has left flying in FTL or sitting in a solar system before it's power runs out. That is why the crew are so hesitant about stalling the countdown clock; as Eli said in "Malice", if they stalled it for too long they could very well burn out all of their power before they reach the next star, as they don't have the capability to make the predictive calculations that Destiny can.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    yes. but there is a large gap between stars. what if it needs a boost? also it only retains fuel to 40%of its original capacity

Comment

Originally posted by themeatcleaver View Post
                      this. destiny doesn't use hyperspace, it travels at faster than light speeds through our own space/time so there would certainly be inertia but to answer your question.. i'd imagine it simply fuels up more often these days than it would have when it was brand new.
                      yes. i agree. if it has only 40% fuel retention capabilities, it has to refuel a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by QueteshRuled View Post
                        yes. but there is a large gap between stars. what if it needs a boost? also it only retains fuel to 40%of its original capacity
                        That's mostly why the countdown clock is still important even though they have control of the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by QueteshRuled View Post
                          40% has shown Destiny goes through numerous solar systems unless Destiny is traveling between galaxies and Sabtoage answered what happened in those case. As previous episodes show the Seeder ships give Destiny an insight on the various systems and the stars that generate such system. The computer can calculate based on current and future locations when it needs to refuel.
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Uh..it's not like we're talking about a tank of gas here. Destiny's tanks being at 40% is still like 25 (or whatever) nuclear power plants working in series.
                            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

given the general power levels of SG weaponry, it's better calculated in tactical nukes per second

Comment

Working...
                              X