Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally!

Default Finally!

Ive been waiting for this all season! A proper stargate episode exploring a planet.. and it was a good one.. Id love to see more SGU like this, episodes that are once off stories in their own right but still include quite a lot of the plot from previous episodes.. Loved it
    I dunno what to put in here now..

Default Re: Finally!

indeed

I wasn't impressed with yet another forest. To be honest, I'd rather have less and unique planets than often and all forest-y ones.

Well foresty ones are the easiest for them to do given that the production team is in vancouver.

However for an in show explanation it still makes sense. The Seed ships deposit stargates it seems on planets that have something to offer the crew. Whether that be, the sand planet that offered a replacement for the CO2 Scrubbers, the methane rich atmosphere planet which offered plenty of water or planets with plenty of vegetation on them to provide food.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Off to an alt. universe where the SGC exists

I'd wish they used colour filters or something. Make as if there's a blue giant for a sun or something, making it more alien than your standard green forest .

Quote Originally Posted by blazingfire View Post
    I'd wish they used colour filters or something. Make as if there's a blue giant for a sun or something, making it more alien than your standard green forest .
    Maybe
    Spoiler:
    in "Common Descent", eh.

Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post
    Well foresty ones are the easiest for them to do given that the production team is in vancouver.
    Ah yes, the good old Vancouver Pine forest Surprisingly, I rather liked it in this episode.

"Were you expecting Stairway to Heaven?!"

I would much rather have more interesting planets and have fewer of them than just have a forest every episode; I thought we left that behind in SG-1 and Atlantis. If you want one-off planet exploration episodes, watch those series.

Also, don't you remember "Malice"? Or "Cloverdale"? Or even "Aftermath"? They all had the main story revolving around planet exploration.

Captain Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble's Avatar

I don't like planet of the week style eps doesn't suite SGU.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
    I don't like planet of the week style eps doesn't suite SGU.
    sure it does

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Evil 37 View Post
    I would much rather have more interesting planets and have fewer of them than just have a forest every episode; I thought we left that behind in SG-1 and Atlantis. If you want one-off planet exploration episodes, watch those series.

Also, don't you remember "Malice"? Or "Cloverdale"? Or even "Aftermath"? They all had the main story revolving around planet exploration.
    The way its going at the moment is that they are doing boring planets, infrequently..

Malice and aftermath had nothing to do with exploring the planet really.. and cloverdale.. ya I liked that but that episode and it was planet of the weekish though it was largely focused on scotts halluncination and all the wedding schtuff.

Maybe Im old fashioned but I think my stargate shows should feature the use of the stargate regularly...

I think that "Malice" and "Aftermath"-type planet episodes suit SGU far better than "The Hunt." If you had replaced the characters with Atlantis characters (and replaced the Destiny set with the Atlantis set, it could easily have been an episode of that show, whereas "Malice" really couldn't.

What about episodes like "Air 3", "Water", "Time", "Faith", "Human" and "Lost"? Would you count those as your kind of episodes? Just wondering because you said that there hadn't been any of those sorts of episodes this season.

And sorry, but how are the planets in SGU boring? The planets in SG-1 and Atlantis were boring; they were Canadian forests 99% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Evil 37 View Post
    I think that "Malice" and "Aftermath"-type planet episodes suit SGU far better than "The Hunt." If you had replaced the characters with Atlantis characters (and replaced the Destiny set with the Atlantis set, it could easily have been an episode of that show, whereas "Malice" really couldn't.

What about episodes like "Air 3", "Water", "Time", "Faith", "Human" and "Lost"? Would you count those as your kind of episodes? Just wondering because you said that there hadn't been any of those sorts of episodes this season.

And sorry, but how are the planets in SGU boring? The planets in SG-1 and Atlantis were boring; they were Canadian forests 99% of the time.
    You could also replace the hunt with anyone from SG1, or pretty much any sci-fi show that involves exploring planets.
    And ya I enjoyed all of those episodes.. my point is that since the show is Stargate I feel that the use of the stargate should be key to most episodes, and in season 2 we have bearly seen the stargate being used at all... and sure canadian forests can get boring all the time, but similarly so does the inside of the ship with no use of the stargate the whole time, I just think that the writers have completely forgot about the surviving aspect of the show that in season 1 made for a few great episodes that anyone, fan or not could sit down and watch. I mean the writers could have thrown in 2 or 3 episodes this season where it was a secondary plot was exploring a planet ya know for food, or maybe for something that produces antibiotics to treat greers infection in his wound but come across some obstacle.. to make the planet seem different they could just throw a blue filter on the camera.

and the planets from SG1 and Atl were a bit boring, but its not neccessarily about the setting I think, its more about the story and if the story is good then it doesn't matter if its a canadian forest or the forsts of pandora

Captain Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble's Avatar

The premise of the show is that they are trapped on a space ship not that they use the stargate. Yet they still use the gate so whats the big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
    The premise of the show is that they are trapped on a space ship not that they use the stargate. Yet they still use the gate so whats the big deal?
    The premise is more about survival.. Trapped on a ship with the stargate as their only means of survival..

I understand where you're coming from, but the survival theme was more heavily prevalent in the first season, where they had to use the Stargate to gather food, fix lifesupprt etc; i.e. all of the essential supplies that they need for long-term survival. Now that they have control of the ship, and have
    Spoiler:
    an abundence of supplies from the other Destiny
    the survival aspect of the show has become more about fighting off external threats, such as the drones etc.

Also, now that the crew know what Destiny's mission is and have agreed to pursue it, that has really become their focus as opposed to everyday survival.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
    The premise is more about survival.. Trapped on a ship with the stargate as their only means of survival..
    Are you sure?
    Survival is definately an element of the show to be sure, and now they have 2 working shuttles again it's hardly thier "only means of survival"

I have always felt that the show *at it's core* was more about finding out "what's out there" more than anything else, be that the BRS, aliens, the dreams of the Ancients to understand the universe and so on. The basic premise of SGU always struck me as similar to the TNG ep when "the traveller" first appears and they are sent out to a place where thoughts create reality and it is by the combined will of those onboard that they can succeed in "the mission"

Colonel

I think it's the complete opposite to be honest. 'What's out there' are just different ways of putting the characters in thought-provoking situations and making them grow as characters. It's about their journey as people, rather than the journey of the ship or whatever they might happen to find. It's about exploration into the human condition rather than a fictional universe. The aliens and technology are just a means of taking the characters to places that other genres can't. And I'd agree that survival was a theme of the first season, or at least the first ten episodes, but I don't really consider it something that defines the series.

Quote Originally Posted by KEK View Post
    I think it's the complete opposite to be honest. 'What's out there' are just different ways of putting the characters in thought-provoking situations and making them grow as characters. It's about their journey as people, rather than the journey of the ship or whatever they might happen to find. It's about exploration into the human condition rather than a fictional universe. The aliens and technology are just a means of taking the characters to places that other genres can't. And I'd agree that survival was a theme of the first season, or at least the first ten episodes, but I don't really consider it something that defines the series.
    Fair call, I disagree with you, but It's just as much a valid observation as mine I guess

In terms of survival... Young was mending socks a while back. And aside from some surplus supplies from the fallen crew, when are they going to start making clothes and things again? It is Gilligans Island in space isn't it? Or are the washing machines on the ship always in extra delicate mode?

But yeah, finally a NEW set. Even if it's the SAME forest. Forest are just easier to do I guess. Hides any man made structures in the area better. Masks any would be lights (night) and noises (roads) better. Not to mention planes and other viewable for 100 miles plus things. And generally 10F cooler than most everywhere else come summer time.

Plus if all that you're ever going to show is 2 sets of the ship. For 20 episodes a year, it's no wonder that it was cancelled. Although they might be up to 4 now, bridge and now stasis room? It was nice to see some exploration at least.

I just wish that it was a more logical episode. You never turn your back to a threat like Greer did when exiting the cave.