No announcement yet.

Finally!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand where you're coming from, but the survival theme was more heavily prevalent in the first season, where they had to use the Stargate to gather food, fix lifesupprt etc; i.e. all of the essential supplies that they need for long-term survival. Now that they have control of the ship, and have
    Spoiler:
    an abundence of supplies from the other Destiny
    the survival aspect of the show has become more about fighting off external threats, such as the drones etc.

Also, now that the crew know what Destiny's mission is and have agreed to pursue it, that has really become their focus as opposed to everyday survival.

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
      The premise is more about survival.. Trapped on a ship with the stargate as their only means of survival..
      Are you sure?
      Survival is definately an element of the show to be sure, and now they have 2 working shuttles again it's hardly thier "only means of survival"

I have always felt that the show *at it's core* was more about finding out "what's out there" more than anything else, be that the BRS, aliens, the dreams of the Ancients to understand the universe and so on. The basic premise of SGU always struck me as similar to the TNG ep when "the traveller" first appears and they are sent out to a place where thoughts create reality and it is by the combined will of those onboard that they can succeed in "the mission"
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I think it's the complete opposite to be honest. 'What's out there' are just different ways of putting the characters in thought-provoking situations and making them grow as characters. It's about their journey as people, rather than the journey of the ship or whatever they might happen to find. It's about exploration into the human condition rather than a fictional universe. The aliens and technology are just a means of taking the characters to places that other genres can't. And I'd agree that survival was a theme of the first season, or at least the first ten episodes, but I don't really consider it something that defines the series.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
          I think it's the complete opposite to be honest. 'What's out there' are just different ways of putting the characters in thought-provoking situations and making them grow as characters. It's about their journey as people, rather than the journey of the ship or whatever they might happen to find. It's about exploration into the human condition rather than a fictional universe. The aliens and technology are just a means of taking the characters to places that other genres can't. And I'd agree that survival was a theme of the first season, or at least the first ten episodes, but I don't really consider it something that defines the series.
          Fair call, I disagree with you, but It's just as much a valid observation as mine I guess
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

In terms of survival... Young was mending socks a while back. And aside from some surplus supplies from the fallen crew, when are they going to start making clothes and things again? It is Gilligans Island in space isn't it? Or are the washing machines on the ship always in extra delicate mode?

But yeah, finally a NEW set. Even if it's the SAME forest. Forest are just easier to do I guess. Hides any man made structures in the area better. Masks any would be lights (night) and noises (roads) better. Not to mention planes and other viewable for 100 miles plus things. And generally 10F cooler than most everywhere else come summer time.

Plus if all that you're ever going to show is 2 sets of the ship. For 20 episodes a year, it's no wonder that it was cancelled. Although they might be up to 4 now, bridge and now stasis room? It was nice to see some exploration at least.

I just wish that it was a more logical episode. You never turn your back to a threat like Greer did when exiting the cave.

Comment

I think that there are the big, epic, large scale themes that the show deals with, such as the creation of the universe, the human drive for exploration, controlling your own destiny and discovering what it means to be human, along with the smaller scale, more personal themes such as leadership, science and faith, military vs civilians, love, malice, survival etc.

No one is right or wrong about what the show is about on a thematic level; it has so many different layers to it that it can be many different things to different people. Neither of you are wrong.

Comment

I loved this forest planet, made me nostalgic.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X