Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So you (op) are saying that Atlantis should be commanded by a navy captain as well, since it is a mobile weapons platform/city and its on the water.

Comment

I could be down for that!

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
        Thread title: The best men for the job.

Carter would be irritated, I think. On her behalf, I am mentally changing the title to "The best people for the job".
        Good point, if I could change the thread title to that, I would.

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        Besides the obvious Stargate program has been run by the Air Force the Air Force has more expertise in aerial operations. Yes the Navy has aircrafts but nowhere near as much as the Air Force?
        Commanding a 304 is nothing like an aircraft though. A 304 is much more in line with a naval battleship, the way it moves and the strategies required, nothing in the Air Force could compare.
        A Naval Officer experienced in commanding Battleships/fleets in operations against other Battleships/fleets would have the most relevant experience.

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
        So you (op) are saying that Atlantis should be commanded by a navy captain as well, since it is a mobile weapons platform/city and its on the water.
        That's not what I'm saying and you know it.

But to answer, no Atlantis is completely different in that is not primarily a ship. Atlantis is a Base of Operations, it can be commanded by anyone, although the commander of the military presence would obviously have to be someone of appropriate rank with base command experience.

Comment

The thread title change is making me happy - I'm sure Carter would approve!
          sigpic
          Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Maybe I'm stating the obvious here, but navy is sea and air force is air. Spaceship is more air than sea thus it makes sense to me that someone from the air force is in charge.
            sigpic

Comment

given the nature of space, what anyone saying here is absolutely downright preposterous.

people have to be trained. in that regard, whoever is in command makes little difference. wheter it's a navy guy experienced with driving a big "ship" *cough* or an air force guy with experience in 3d combat.

actually, with that written down, the air force guy with his 3D mentality is better at adapting to the situation than a navy guy who lives by 2D motion. even though the sea has a degree of 3D, it has "layers" namely sea-level, sub sea and air. a former pilot has only a whole lot of air in all directions plus a thing called the ground way down. analogous to a space ship with the "ground" being some planet, or in case of the fighters, the "ground" being the ship.

regardless, space adaptation is required and whoever thinks in 3D is better than someone thinking in 2.5D

the rest of the ship should be filled with engineers, cleaners, handymen etc, regardless of being navy or air force. the only criteria being capable of doing their job.

Comment

Working...
              X