Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 75

Thread: Ratings go up!!

  1. #41

    Default Re: Ratings go up!!

    Quote Originally Posted by knowles2 View Post
    So the ratings goes up, and Syfy decides to move it to a different time slot yet again.

    They really do want to destroy Stargate and stargate universe as a franchise.
    The ratings increase wasn't a big statsical change
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

  2. #42
    Colonel
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    6,478

    Default Re: Ratings go up!!

    Quote Originally Posted by knowles2 View Post
    So the ratings goes up, and Syfy decides to move it to a different time slot yet again.

    They really do want to destroy Stargate and stargate universe as a franchise.
    yes, with 4 episodes left it's really important. There's another chanel which value scifi shows. You can watch it and abandon syfy. I would certainly do it

  3. #43
    Second Lieutenant traylormatt's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    369

    Default Re: Ratings go up!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Crias View Post
    Well the problem is that while Stargate universe airs in the U.S on what Monday? We get it here (Australia) on a Friday, because of this allot of my friends download the show illegally, so when the show actually airs on sci-fi Australia most people have seen it. If it aired on the Tuesday night over here I’m sure there would be way more viewers. The reason Stargate was cancelled was entirely syfy’s fault! If they were to air Stargate in the off season like every other Stargate show in the past the ratings would justify a 3rd season.
    Well what do you think it is like for us in England. We only JUST got the first episode of 2.5 on the Monday just gone (11th of April) now that is crap. But I can tell you that I watched that on monday because A. I enjoy the episodes and can watch them over and over and B. I like to make sure I am doing my part.

  4. #44
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Member Since
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sector-8
    Posts
    103

    Default Re: Ratings go up!!

    i think SyFy is just bumping up SGU to the 9pm slot because Being Human is on hiatus after its season finale. it makes sense that SGU take that time slot. All they're doing is removing Being Human and pushing back SGU to fill in. There isn't another major show that they can suddenly insert for the 9pm time slot. And besides, what's really better than SGU?

    Who knows, maybe the 9pm slot will be the ticket and help bring higher ratings. The remaining episodes look soooo good!

  5. #45
    Captain Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Leeds,West Yorkshire, U.K
    Posts
    1,133

    Default Re: Ratings go up!!

    Wouldn't it be wonderful to have simul-cast every week like they did with the season finally of Lost.

    It would be cool if when it airs in America 2 or 3 am our time and we get it at 9 pm.

  6. #46
    Second Lieutenant traylormatt's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    369

    Default Re: Ratings go up!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
    Wouldn't it be wonderful to have simul-cast every week like they did with the season finally of Lost.

    It would be cool if when it airs in America 2 or 3 am our time and we get it at 9 pm.
    Ha yeah, that will never happen. Would be lovely though. I would just be happy with it playing at 9pm or when ever the following day over here. Or any day within a week. I know for a while other shows like House were showing only a week after, and I think for the first season of SGU it was aired like a week behind maybe? something like that any way. I know for a while it wasn't far behind. A short enough wait anyway.

  7. #47
    Major General
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,249

    Default Re: Ratings go up!!

    Moving it yet again.. HM.

  8. #48
    Chief Master Sergeant Crias's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    214

    Default Re: Ratings go up!!

    I didn’t mean to imply that illegally viewing Stargate is ok, believe me after the cancelation I blocked a fair few people (at least for a little while.) But I do agree that at least from an outside point of view syfy is trying to kill the stargate franchise. Because as you all know we’re all here on this site to talk about Ghost hunters! Really not a happy chappy when it comes to sci-fi channel right now hahaha

  9. #49
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Member Since
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sector-8
    Posts
    103

    Default Re: Ratings go up!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Crias View Post
    I didn’t mean to imply that illegally viewing Stargate is ok, believe me after the cancelation I blocked a fair few people (at least for a little while.) But I do agree that at least from an outside point of view syfy is trying to kill the stargate franchise. Because as you all know we’re all here on this site to talk about Ghost hunters! Really not a happy chappy when it comes to sci-fi channel right now hahaha
    It definitely seems like SyFy made a clear effort to phase SGU out of prominence. Not that it had the greatest ratings to begin with, but every successive move SyFy made seemed to hurt the ratings and in no way appeared as if they were aimed to help the show generate more viewership. It's as if they slowly killed it instead of making an honest effort to boost it. Moving the show to Tuesday nights proved a disaster as it could not possibly contend with America's most popular programming. Someone making executive decisions had to know what the consequence of that would be -- just unfairly idiotic of SyFy to the point that it's curiously sabotage. Then the super long mid-season breaks, the lack of a strong marketing campaign to generate outside interest, and continually changing dates and times. The current 10pm slot is the last straw in SyFy's efforts to push the show out of primetime.

    I guess what bothers me the most is SyFy didn't take any proactive action to aid the show. Instead they created every possible circumstance that could lead to its demise. The built-in fanbase that's already into Stargate is gonna watch the show. Maybe the initial number of fans this time around wasn't large enough to meet the ratings quota, but the key was to attract new viewers and SyFy had absolutely no campaign to do that. Their lack of marketing coupled with their unfriendly programming decisions demonstrates they weren't interested in taking any additional measures to hold on to the show, regardless if it was the the best and most sophisticated science fiction on television. SyFy claims that the viewers just weren't there, but they eliminated many of the channels that could bring in prospective new viewers. In effect they rooted SGU out. Investing in the show further may have been a gamble SyFy wasn't willing to take, but they certainly didn't help SGU's case with their programming decisions. It's like they saw a struggling SGU and instead of lending a helping hand they came over and kicked it while it's down. They turned their backs on it and walked away, leaving SGU just laying there dying in the background. Screw SyFy and screw this unfortunate situation.

    /rant
    Last edited by Airlock; April 14th, 2011 at 07:15 PM.

  10. #50
    Lieutenant General Pharaoh Atem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    19,734

    Default Re: Ratings go up!!

    don't get your party started yet the shows still dead no matter what

  11. #51
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,066

    Default Re: Ratings go up!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Airlock View Post
    It definitely seems like SyFy made a clear effort to phase SGU out of prominence. Not that it had the greatest ratings to begin with, but every successive move SyFy made seemed to hurt the ratings and in no way appeared as if they were aimed to help the show generate more viewership. It's as if they slowly killed it instead of making an honest effort to boost it. Moving the show to Tuesday nights proved a disaster as it could not possibly contend with America's most popular programming. Someone making executive decisions had to know what the consequence of that would be -- just unfairly idiotic of SyFy to the point that it's curiously sabotage. Then the super long mid-season breaks, the lack of a strong marketing campaign to generate outside interest, and continually changing dates and times. The current 10pm slot is the last straw in SyFy's efforts to push the show out of primetime.

    I guess what bothers me the most is SyFy didn't take any proactive action to aid the show. Instead they created every possible circumstance that could lead to its demise. The built-in fanbase that's already into Stargate is gonna watch the show. Maybe the initial number of fans this time around wasn't large enough to meet the ratings quota, but the key was to attract new viewers and SyFy had absolutely no campaign to do that. Their lack of marketing coupled with their unfriendly programming decisions demonstrates they weren't interested in taking any additional measures to hold on to the show, regardless if it was the the best and most sophisticated science fiction on television. SyFy claims that the viewers just weren't there, but they eliminated many of the channels that could bring in prospective new viewers. In effect they rooted SGU out. Investing in the show further may have been a gamble SyFy wasn't willing to take, but they certainly didn't help SGU's case with their programming decisions. It's like they saw a struggling SGU and instead of lending a helping hand they came over and kicked it while it's down. They turned their backs on it and walked away, leaving SGU just laying there dying in the background. Screw SyFy and screw this unfortunate situation.

    /rant
    Dude
    I think this rant should be here:
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...ces-of-success

  12. #52
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Member Since
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sector-8
    Posts
    103

    Default Re: Ratings go up!!

    ^^^probably right. just a broad spur of the moment riff on SyFy...

    thanks for the link

  13. #53
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,066

    Default Re: Ratings go up!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Airlock View Post
    ^^^probably right. just a broad spur of the moment riff on SyFy...

    thanks for the link
    NP dude

  14. #54
    Lieutenant General Briangate78's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,965

    Default Re: Ratings go up!!

    Quote Originally Posted by knowles2 View Post
    So the ratings goes up, and Syfy decides to move it to a different time slot yet again.

    They really do want to destroy Stargate and stargate universe as a franchise.
    The network is using the 9pm timeslot that was occupied by Being Human, they planned to move it to that time slot well before "Hope" even aired.

    Yes, Syfy wanted to kill SGU, because the president of the network is a big SGA fan, lol.
    <a href=http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11231&dateline=1312816860 target=_blank>http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php...ine=1312816860</a>

  15. #55
    Staff Sergeant
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    79

    Default Re: Ratings go up!!

    I fully agree with Airlock. SyFy badly wanted Stargate franchise to die (therefore SGA cancellation as requirement of SGU going forward, SyFy knew that SGU will have hard time to survive alone in first years), because it was expensive and had not-so-great profit return percentage. You can make much less expensive shows and turn in serious coin. Not such luck with SG - you have to promote it, you have finance it, and you at the mercy of the fans (not casual fans which come and go). With Stargate gone, I'm quite sure that they will make themselves free from left-overs like Eureka and BSG new series won't survive either (because part of BSG fans were from SG).

    Common crowd doesn't dig sci-fi anymore. End of story.

  16. #56
    Staff Sergeant
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    79

    Default Re: Ratings go up!!

    By the way, I thought of rather sound theory why ratings jumped - because Being Human finished it's run, and part of those viewers checked out SGU, because it will be shown in that timeslot next week. Will be interesting to watch if they will stay.

  17. #57
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,066

    Default Re: Ratings go up!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pecisk View Post
    I fully agree with Airlock. SyFy badly wanted Stargate franchise to die (therefore SGA cancellation as requirement of SGU going forward, SyFy knew that SGU will have hard time to survive alone in first years), because it was expensive and had not-so-great profit return percentage. You can make much less expensive shows and turn in serious coin. Not such luck with SG - you have to promote it, you have finance it, and you at the mercy of the fans (not casual fans which come and go). With Stargate gone, I'm quite sure that they will make themselves free from left-overs like Eureka and BSG new series won't survive either (because part of BSG fans were from SG).

    Common crowd doesn't dig sci-fi anymore. End of story.
    1. I disagree
    2.You might want to discuss this subject here:http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...ces-of-success.

  18. #58
    Staff Sergeant spaceship's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Posts
    90

    Default Re: Ratings go up!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Crias View Post
    Well the problem is that while Stargate universe airs in the U.S on what Monday? We get it here (Australia) on a Friday, because of this allot of my friends download the show illegally, so when the show actually airs on sci-fi Australia most people have seen it. If it aired on the Tuesday night over here I’m sure there would be way more viewers. The reason Stargate was cancelled was entirely syfy’s fault! If they were to air Stargate in the off season like every other Stargate show in the past the ratings would justify a 3rd season.
    LOL Australia doesn't count. These shows are made for the US market first. The International market is just the cream on top.

  19. #59
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,066

    Default Re: Ratings go up!!

    Quote Originally Posted by spaceship View Post
    LOL Australia doesn't count. These shows are made for the US market first. The International market is just the cream on top.
    Not entirely true. Non US may be "cream" for MGM, it's true, but for Syfy, yep, no-one outside the US counts. They do however have an impact on eachother.

  20. #60
    Staff Sergeant spaceship's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Posts
    90

    Default Re: Ratings go up!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    Not entirely true. Non US may be "cream" for MGM, it's true, but for Syfy, yep, no-one outside the US counts. They do however have an impact on eachother.
    Do explain? How can 20 mill Aussies influence 300 mill Americans?

Similar Threads

  1. SGU Ratings
    By Republibot 3.0 in forum SGU News (Archive)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 8th, 2010, 04:56 PM
  2. Ratings
    By starmage in forum Season Three
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: December 11th, 2006, 10:23 AM
  3. Ratings for BSG/SGA/SG-1
    By Briangate78 in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: December 7th, 2006, 06:35 AM
  4. ratings
    By The Great Lord Baal in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: October 19th, 2006, 10:12 AM
  5. Syndication ratings, and EUREKA beats out Stagate in ratings
    By prion in forum SG-1 News (Archive)
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: July 25th, 2006, 05:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •