No announcement yet.

Why did rush freeze brody ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Rush was honestly just having a little fun at Eli and Brody's expense.

On the other hand I wonder about those stasis pods... Remember the stasis pods on the Ancient ship in Atlantis? Remember Rodney asking Carson if he wanted Rodney to program him some nice dreams while he was in stasis? Ancient stasis pods have the capability to link the sleeper to a virtual reality. If that is the case with the Destiny pods, then that makes Rush's experiment with the chair that much worse. He could have just used one of the stasis pods and been completely safe. Yes, I'm aware he didn't know about them until AFTER the chair incident, but Amanda should have known. She had access to all the ships systems and was looking for a way to make physical contact, she should have seen them.

Comment

I didn't find it light hearted at all or a little joke. Rush risked Brody's life to test out the equipment. This was menacing. Love the character of Rush, very compelling, but he is not a person I would trust. This was Franklin all over again but he was being more sly about it.
      I love SGU and I even like the other two SGU prequel shows

Comment

I didn't think that he froze Brody; I thought he just manipulated them by not allowing them to study the pods, thinking that they would anyway. This then led to Brody being frozen by accident, allowing Rush to gather data, with teaching Eli a lesson as a secondary outcome.

But, thinking about it, Rush freezing Brody himself does make more sense... Surely not, though? Freezing him and thawing him out so quickly could have been dangerous.

I like how they left it to us to decide what he was up to; great Rush storyline.

Comment

Originally posted by D Toccs View Post
          Then he went and broke down any resolve Volker might have had by telling him that he wasn't good enough to get any women.
          Since the next scene we saw of Volkar was him going with flowers to see Parks, it imo was done for the OPPOSITE reason.. telling him that "his being such a good friend" is not what is place was..

At the end of the episode, Rush says "let's go check out the stasis pods" and gives a snide little smirk when Eli and Brody reiterate his earlier words about caution. The smirk was because his plan worked and he had reaffirmed his place as the "smartest man in the room".
          True it did. BUT it also proved to rush that he was right. Look at what happened to him. He threw caution to the wind and cause of it got trapped. This showed eli you need to think things through.

isn't eli hiding it from rush kinda ironic, given that he blamed rush for keeping secrets?
          Yes it is. BUT it does make things more interesting. How does the one who loves keeping secrets feel with others doing it to him?

Comment

@D Toccs - I am detecting a slight misunderstanding, I think. What I meant by "a very good way" I meant it in the way that it was quite effective. But that doesn't mean I agree with how Rush handled the situation, because yes, it could've been dangerous to anybody getting frozen. However I do believe that Rush is the better person to be in charge than Eli. And I want to stress the possibility that just because everybody tells you you are a genius, doesn't mean you can do everything, etc.

I agree with most other things people have mentioned in this thread, but I just wanted to emphasize these 'things'.

Ps. Oh, and another thing, scientists can be quite competitive, specially some quite smart people can't handle there being another person claiming to be at least that smart, in-verse reference could be McKay.

Comment

Originally posted by Furliciousy2k9 View Post
              @D Toccs - I am detecting a slight misunderstanding, I think. What I meant by "a very good way" I meant it in the way that it was quite effective. But that doesn't mean I agree with how Rush handled the situation, because yes, it could've been dangerous to anybody getting frozen. However I do believe that Rush is the better person to be in charge than Eli. And I want to stress the possibility that just because everybody tells you you are a genius, doesn't mean you can do everything, etc.

I agree with most other things people have mentioned in this thread, but I just wanted to emphasize these 'things'.

Ps. Oh, and another thing, scientists can be quite competitive, specially some quite smart people can't handle there being another person claiming to be at least that smart, in-verse reference could be McKay.

I understand what you meant. I just disagree that Rush is a better person to have in charge. To be an effective leader you have to have peoples respect and trust and Rush has neither and has proved time and again that he deserves neither.

I just don't think that Rush is as smart as people seem to think. He was brought in to the Stargate Program specifically for the 9th chevron, and he couldn't figure it out, Eli did. The power flow algorithms that Rush created caused the destruction of not one but two planets, and then McKay comes along and completely reworks them to make them safe.
              For a time Rush was the one most knowledgeable on how Destiny works, but that was only because he hid the discovery of the bridge from everybody else in order to maintain his advantage.

To be clear, I don't think that Eli should be in charge either, he's an inexperienced kid with all the failings that come with that.

The head scientists should be Volker and Brody, who have demonstrated many times that they are competent and level headed.

Comment

The planet in Air was being attacked and Rush didn't have time to finish his calculations in Subversion.

I don't know how Rush could have know Brody was inside the pod. Mabey Eli did trap him but Rush just wouldn't let him out.

Comment

It showed up on the monitor.

Comment

I thought it was an honest accident that Rush discovered and decided to make it work for him...
                    By Nolamom
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
                      I don't know how Rush could have know Brody was inside the pod. Mabey Eli did trap him but Rush just wouldn't let him out.
                      Rush saw on the monitor that their was someone inside one of the stasis pods, he gave a little smirk and then pushed the button to activate that pod. How did you miss that?

Comment

Rush saw on the monitor that their was someone inside one of the stasis pods, he gave a little smirk and then pushed the button to activate that pod. How did you miss that?
                        I don't know I will rewatch lol.

Comment

When I first saw it, I thought he was trying to manipulate Eli into moving Perry and Ginn out of quarantine, because they could help Eli open the pod without Eli going to Rush.

I laughed at the end when Rush suggested they go check out the pods and Eli and Brody both said "No!" at the same time.

Comment

I think everybody's overstating the "danger" aspect here. Rush has been working for the SGC for a while. I'd imagine he's seen all the data there is to see on stasis pods. The Ancients probably had them perfected before they left the Ori home galaxy. We saw in that episode of SG-1 with the replicator girl that the SGC even has it's own version of a Stasis pod that interfaces with a virtual reality.

Rush's attitude was more like "I've seen one stasis pod, I've seen them all" whereas Eli and Brody were more like "This is Awesome!" I'm of the opinion that Rush had absolutely no interest in collecting data, he already knew all he needed to know. What he was more interested in was having a little fun and seeing if Eli still trusted him enough to come ask for help.

Comment

The pods on Destiny are a different design from anything we've seen before. So I doubt Rush knows a whole lot about them. It's like saying "Well, I used a Mac before, therefore I know how to use a PC". You could probably figure it out, but it would take quite a bit of clicking around.

Also you have to remember these things are millions of years old and any number of things could be broken or worn out. What if the freezing system works just fine, but the thawing-out system leaves Brody with permanent brain damage? It's possible for something to be broken in a way that the computer wouldn't detect, right up to the point where you actually have someone frozen and you're trying to thaw them out and it kills them because X doesn't function any more.

Comment

Also the pods have never been used before as Rush said the Ancients never went to Destiny.

Comment

Working...
                                X