No announcement yet.

The Predator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was a kid I read a fantasy book called "Ratha's Creature" about a sabre-toothed tiger who learns to harness fire after she finds it naturally occurring (wildfires happen all the time in nature). Her kind are intelligent, but they don't have opposable thumbs; she just carries it on a stick in her mouth and maintains/shares it that way.

It's highly likely that the first fires were gathered from nature and then maintained as long as possible, rather than created when someone spontaneously decided to rub sticks together.

Anyway, the episode made me think of that book.

Comment

so where did Tj found wood to make fire? I'm guessing the creature had a stack of it somewhere in the cave. Also maybe they don't have sexual diferenntiation, maybe they lay self fertilising eggs. Maybe they have some hidden organ like a tentacle or something that they use like we use our hands. Or maybe what we saw was only a stage in their life, and at some point they retreat to a coccoon and emerge with 4 hands and saliva that makes the wood from their trees catch fire.We really don't know anything about them and the possibilities are limitless.
      "Gegen diesen Idioten muss ich verlieren!" (A. Nimzowitsch)

Comment

Originally posted by SGSargon View Post
        The creature had six legs. Maybe it uses the first two limbs as hands.
        And if you think that is unlikely for an animal like that to be smart, check out this:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P8Nwl7FAJk
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03yke...eature=related
        Ravens and crows have the largest brain-to-body weight ratio (as well as the rest of the Corvidae family), almost equal to the one of the great apes, slightly under the human, as well as a complex brain.
        The European Magpie can recognize itself in the mirror. The Kea parrot is equally as smart:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRW4ztbY8Ok
        Let's not forget the dolphins.
        For something to be intelligent it doesn't have to have hands.
        My dog can recognize itself in a mirror and on occasion "chooses" to watch tv while I'm at the computer. I think we're all selling animals a little short.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
          Ok.

very awesome predator. loved how the Alpha Male was mostly bald yet the young had much more hair. kinda reminded me of "uninvited" with the "there's more of them."

the design is nice, the 6 legs look cool and the creature behaves nice. quite a big, well, it seems to be an alien sabretooth.

but seriously.

intelligent?

how can a creature that displays no sign of actual intelligence aside from hunting the hunter (and given it's size, that should be a common thing for these creatures),
          recognizes intelligent life.

what the frak?

seriously, what were you thinking Joe? next time a lion is about to devour you, hold up a little token and the creature just walks away?

worse, far far worse is this:

if the creature is able to recognize intelligence, why didn't it see the guns, clothing, and the bombs as a sign of intelligence?
          Biologists and anthropologists have been examining the definition of intelligence for years. Some have even argued that dolphins or orcas might even be on or near a human level. The reason they don't have civilizations and tools is because they are adapted to live underwater. This animal wasn't adapted to display several of the signs of intelligence that we would recognize in humans, that doesn't mean that there isn't more going on upstairs.

Comment

I can see the argument for why wouldn't it see our stuff as signs WE are intelligent" but maybe its cause it has never encountered those things before, and after it did we were hunting it, so it was defensive.

Comment

For all we know, the creatures could possess both male and female characteristics.

The thing that surprised me is that they didn't use fire to try and startle the predator. Make a torch (or two) if you don't have enough material to make a larger fire. Use some items of clothing to help make a better torch.

regards,
              G.
              Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
                For all we know, the creatures could possess both male and female characteristics.
                The same could be said about you. Whats your point?

Comment

O.o

Comment

The thing that surprised me is that they didn't use fire to try and startle the predator. Make a torch (or two) if you don't have enough material to make a larger fire. Use some items of clothing to help make a better torch.

regards,
                    G.
                    Nothing short of a SAW, SCAR-H, M14, or a M-34 was going to startle that thing. There is a very good reason that 5.56 and 9 mm are not the caliber of choice of Bwanas hunting dangerous game.

Comment

Originally posted by Ekras View Post
                      The same could be said about you. Whats your point?
                      And I was addressing the comments from earlier in the thread about whether the creature was male or female. I don't think it matters. Something about that causes a problem for you?

regards,
                      G.
                      Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
                        Nothing short of a SAW, SCAR-H, M14, or a M-34 was going to startle that thing. There is a very good reason that 5.56 and 9 mm are not the caliber of choice of Bwanas hunting dangerous game.
                        Absolutely correct. This being said, were I in that situation a pointed stick AND a torch might improve my chances of survival just that little bit more.

regards,
                        G.
                        Go for Marty...

Comment

Absolutely correct. This being said, were I in that situation a pointed stick AND a torch might improve my chances of survival just that little bit more.

regards,
                          G.
                          I would concede that a pointed stick might be just as effective as their sidearms.

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
                            Why would you assume the big one was a male?

I'm willing to bet good money that was the mom.
                            seemed liked the pissed off in law to me
                            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
                              I would concede that a pointed stick might be just as effective as their sidearms.
                              Yup. I was kinda' surprised that they didn't use the fire to harden the points of their spears. It should have been a standard method taught in survival training which I would think the corporal would have had knowledge of if not TJ.

regards,
                              G.
                              Go for Marty...

Comment

Yup. I was kinda' surprised that they didn't use the fire to harden the points of their spears. It should have been a standard method taught in survival training which I would think the corporal would have had knowledge of if not TJ.

regards,
                                G.
                                That thing would attack herds of elephants for kicks. I'm sure they were hoping for a shot at the eyes.

Comment

Working...
                                X