Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Predator

Default Re: The Predator

For all we know, the creatures could possess both male and female characteristics.

The thing that surprised me is that they didn't use fire to try and startle the predator. Make a torch (or two) if you don't have enough material to make a larger fire. Use some items of clothing to help make a better torch.

regards,
    G.
    Go for Marty...

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Gollumpus View Post
    For all we know, the creatures could possess both male and female characteristics.
    The same could be said about you. Whats your point?

Colonel

O.o

Lieutenant Colonel

The thing that surprised me is that they didn't use fire to try and startle the predator. Make a torch (or two) if you don't have enough material to make a larger fire. Use some items of clothing to help make a better torch.

regards,
    G.
    Nothing short of a SAW, SCAR-H, M14, or a M-34 was going to startle that thing. There is a very good reason that 5.56 and 9 mm are not the caliber of choice of Bwanas hunting dangerous game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekras View Post
    The same could be said about you. Whats your point?
    And I was addressing the comments from earlier in the thread about whether the creature was male or female. I don't think it matters. Something about that causes a problem for you?

regards,
    G.
    Go for Marty...

Quote Originally Posted by morrismike View Post
    Nothing short of a SAW, SCAR-H, M14, or a M-34 was going to startle that thing. There is a very good reason that 5.56 and 9 mm are not the caliber of choice of Bwanas hunting dangerous game.
    Absolutely correct. This being said, were I in that situation a pointed stick AND a torch might improve my chances of survival just that little bit more.

regards,
    G.
    Go for Marty...

Lieutenant Colonel

Absolutely correct. This being said, were I in that situation a pointed stick AND a torch might improve my chances of survival just that little bit more.

regards,
    G.
    I would concede that a pointed stick might be just as effective as their sidearms.

Lieutenant General Pharaoh Atem's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by carmencatalina View Post
    Why would you assume the big one was a male?

I'm willing to bet good money that was the mom.
    seemed liked the pissed off in law to me

I would concede that a pointed stick might be just as effective as their sidearms.
    Yup. I was kinda' surprised that they didn't use the fire to harden the points of their spears. It should have been a standard method taught in survival training which I would think the corporal would have had knowledge of if not TJ.

regards,
    G.
    Go for Marty...

Lieutenant Colonel

Yup. I was kinda' surprised that they didn't use the fire to harden the points of their spears. It should have been a standard method taught in survival training which I would think the corporal would have had knowledge of if not TJ.

regards,
    G.
    That thing would attack herds of elephants for kicks. I'm sure they were hoping for a shot at the eyes.

That thing would attack herds of elephants for kicks. I'm sure they were hoping for a shot at the eyes.
    Yup, as TJ said. What I'm pointing out is that if they hardened the wood (fire hardening is where you remove the moisture from the wood which makes it "harder" and therefore more durable) they might improve their chances a smidge. Would it ultimately make a difference? Likely not, however, I'd take every tiny bit of edge I could get.

regards,
    G.
    Go for Marty...

so where did Tj found wood to make fire? I'm guessing the creature had a stack of it somewhere in the cave
    there were trees just outside the cave.

Her kind are intelligent, but they don't have opposable thumbs; she just carries it on a stick in her mouth and maintains/shares it that way.
    very touching, but you kinda need opposable thumbs to do more than just hold a fire.

opposable thumbs are extaordinarily useful, from basic texting on your phone to making small devices or huge machines.

Absolutely correct. This being said, were I in that situation a pointed stick AND a torch might improve my chances of survival just that little bit more
    given that a fear for fire is natural, yes, i'd go with pointy stick AND torch.

Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    there were trees just outside the cave.
    - They couldn't leave the cave because of the predator patrol
    - The entrance was high up so they'd have to climb down to gather any wood

very touching, but you kinda need opposable thumbs to do more than just hold a fire.

opposable thumbs are extaordinarily useful, from basic texting on your phone to making small devices or huge machines.
    Things that this animal has obviously no need for. "Lol totally wtfpwnd teh n00bs trying to base camp me".

I would say it is intelligent for 3 things:
    - Disabling one of the captives to make the other not leave it or slow them down.
    - Setting a trap for the hunting party
    - Recognizing fire and non-aggression
    " Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. "
    - Douglas Noel Adams ( 1952 - 2001 ), So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish

- They couldn't leave the cave because of the predator patrol
    - The entrance was high up so they'd have to climb down to gather any wood
    actually they could. the predator was quite a bit down and there were trees inbetween them and the predator.

- Disabling one of the captives to make the other not leave it or slow them down.
    that's not intelligent. it likely bit in his leg to drag him along and used his other two legs to drag TJ. creatures commonly bite in other creature's legs to drag them along, since you preserve the meat the most that way.

- Setting a trap for the hunting party
    nothing intelligent to it. smart, perhaps. but that doesn't make the creature intelligent. not intelligent enough for "omg wtf th3y havs fir3"

- Recognizing fire and non-aggression
    which was my objection against the creature.

the creature backing down in the middle of his cave was stupid too, for no other reason that creatures, especially predators, are most dangerous near their home, because they're territorial.

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post

the creature backing down in the middle of his cave was stupid too, for no other reason that creatures, especially predators, are most dangerous near their home, because they're territorial.
    The show isn't well written for one. The writers seemed to be implying a Velociraptor (Jurrasic Park), alien (Alien), or even killer whale sort of behaviour to put across the intelligent idea. I agree that inside the cave, Greer posed no threat (other than possibly blinding the creature) with that 5.56mm weapon or his 9mm sidearm. It is likely the predator felt the crew were no threat and backed down its aggression level. There is no sense in threatening the sirloin steak in the refrigerator is there?

A bear will endure thousands of stings to get a little honey. The creature probably bottom-lined it and came to the conclusion they weren't worth the trouble (smarter than the bear).

Colonel

The animal was intelligent, and recognised that they were also intelligent because of the fire. That's why it let them go.

Captain Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble's Avatar

Lots of animals are smart but I would have no problem with anyone eating them. I just don't get that just because it looked at the fire that means it must be intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
    Lots of animals are smart but I would have no problem with anyone eating them. I just don't get that just because it looked at the fire that means it must be intelligent.
    It's not just that it looked at the fire. It's that it recognized that creating fire made the humans intelligent, it was also intelligent enough to create a fake trail and ambush the rescue party. It was also intelligent enough to understand that Greer chose not to attack it, and it let them leave peacefully.

From what we saw, I would say that it was probably at a similar level of intelligence to what Homo Erectus was on Earth. Not fully sapient, but definately sentient.

Captain Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D Toccs View Post
    It's not just that it looked at the fire. It's that it recognized that creating fire made the humans intelligent, it was also intelligent enough to create a fake trail and ambush the rescue party. It was also intelligent enough to understand that Greer chose not to attack it, and it let them leave peacefully.

From what we saw, I would say that it was probably at a similar level of intelligence to what Homo Erectus was on Earth. Not fully sapient, but definately sentient.
    And you know this because it told you?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
    And you know this because it told you?
    Because it was the implication of the episode.