Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 64

Thread: The Predator

  1. #21
    Captain Gollumpus's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Location
    New Westminster
    Posts
    1,094

    Default Re: The Predator

    For all we know, the creatures could possess both male and female characteristics.

    The thing that surprised me is that they didn't use fire to try and startle the predator. Make a torch (or two) if you don't have enough material to make a larger fire. Use some items of clothing to help make a better torch.

    regards,
    G.
    Go for Marty...

  2. #22
    Second Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    418

    Default Re: The Predator

    Quote Originally Posted by Gollumpus View Post
    For all we know, the creatures could possess both male and female characteristics.
    The same could be said about you. Whats your point?

  3. #23
    Colonel
    Member Since
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,933

    Default Re: The Predator

    O.o

  4. #24
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,137

    Default Re: The Predator

    Quote Originally Posted by Gollumpus View Post
    For all we know, the creatures could possess both male and female characteristics.

    The thing that surprised me is that they didn't use fire to try and startle the predator. Make a torch (or two) if you don't have enough material to make a larger fire. Use some items of clothing to help make a better torch.

    regards,
    G.
    Nothing short of a SAW, SCAR-H, M14, or a M-34 was going to startle that thing. There is a very good reason that 5.56 and 9 mm are not the caliber of choice of Bwanas hunting dangerous game.

  5. #25
    Captain Gollumpus's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Location
    New Westminster
    Posts
    1,094

    Default Re: The Predator

    Quote Originally Posted by Ekras View Post
    The same could be said about you. Whats your point?
    And I was addressing the comments from earlier in the thread about whether the creature was male or female. I don't think it matters. Something about that causes a problem for you?

    regards,
    G.
    Go for Marty...

  6. #26
    Captain Gollumpus's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Location
    New Westminster
    Posts
    1,094

    Default Re: The Predator

    Quote Originally Posted by morrismike View Post
    Nothing short of a SAW, SCAR-H, M14, or a M-34 was going to startle that thing. There is a very good reason that 5.56 and 9 mm are not the caliber of choice of Bwanas hunting dangerous game.
    Absolutely correct. This being said, were I in that situation a pointed stick AND a torch might improve my chances of survival just that little bit more.

    regards,
    G.
    Go for Marty...

  7. #27
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,137

    Default Re: The Predator

    Quote Originally Posted by Gollumpus View Post
    Absolutely correct. This being said, were I in that situation a pointed stick AND a torch might improve my chances of survival just that little bit more.

    regards,
    G.
    I would concede that a pointed stick might be just as effective as their sidearms.

  8. #28
    Lieutenant General Pharaoh Atem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    19,734

    Default Re: The Predator

    Quote Originally Posted by carmencatalina View Post
    Why would you assume the big one was a male?

    I'm willing to bet good money that was the mom.
    seemed liked the pissed off in law to me

  9. #29
    Captain Gollumpus's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Location
    New Westminster
    Posts
    1,094

    Default Re: The Predator

    Quote Originally Posted by morrismike View Post
    I would concede that a pointed stick might be just as effective as their sidearms.
    Yup. I was kinda' surprised that they didn't use the fire to harden the points of their spears. It should have been a standard method taught in survival training which I would think the corporal would have had knowledge of if not TJ.

    regards,
    G.
    Go for Marty...

  10. #30
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,137

    Default Re: The Predator

    Quote Originally Posted by Gollumpus View Post
    Yup. I was kinda' surprised that they didn't use the fire to harden the points of their spears. It should have been a standard method taught in survival training which I would think the corporal would have had knowledge of if not TJ.

    regards,
    G.
    That thing would attack herds of elephants for kicks. I'm sure they were hoping for a shot at the eyes.

  11. #31
    Captain Gollumpus's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Location
    New Westminster
    Posts
    1,094

    Default Re: The Predator

    Quote Originally Posted by morrismike View Post
    That thing would attack herds of elephants for kicks. I'm sure they were hoping for a shot at the eyes.
    Yup, as TJ said. What I'm pointing out is that if they hardened the wood (fire hardening is where you remove the moisture from the wood which makes it "harder" and therefore more durable) they might improve their chances a smidge. Would it ultimately make a difference? Likely not, however, I'd take every tiny bit of edge I could get.

    regards,
    G.
    Go for Marty...

  12. #32
    Lieutenant General thekillman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    My Throne in Heaven
    Posts
    18,738

    Default Re: The Predator

    so where did Tj found wood to make fire? I'm guessing the creature had a stack of it somewhere in the cave
    there were trees just outside the cave.

    Her kind are intelligent, but they don't have opposable thumbs; she just carries it on a stick in her mouth and maintains/shares it that way.
    very touching, but you kinda need opposable thumbs to do more than just hold a fire.

    opposable thumbs are extaordinarily useful, from basic texting on your phone to making small devices or huge machines.


    Absolutely correct. This being said, were I in that situation a pointed stick AND a torch might improve my chances of survival just that little bit more
    given that a fear for fire is natural, yes, i'd go with pointy stick AND torch.

  13. #33
    Airman Sim's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    42

    Default Re: The Predator

    Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    there were trees just outside the cave.
    - They couldn't leave the cave because of the predator patrol
    - The entrance was high up so they'd have to climb down to gather any wood

    very touching, but you kinda need opposable thumbs to do more than just hold a fire.

    opposable thumbs are extaordinarily useful, from basic texting on your phone to making small devices or huge machines.
    Things that this animal has obviously no need for. "Lol totally wtfpwnd teh n00bs trying to base camp me".

    I would say it is intelligent for 3 things:
    - Disabling one of the captives to make the other not leave it or slow them down.
    - Setting a trap for the hunting party
    - Recognizing fire and non-aggression
    " Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. "
    - Douglas Noel Adams ( 1952 - 2001 ), So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish

  14. #34
    Lieutenant General thekillman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    My Throne in Heaven
    Posts
    18,738

    Default Re: The Predator

    - They couldn't leave the cave because of the predator patrol
    - The entrance was high up so they'd have to climb down to gather any wood
    actually they could. the predator was quite a bit down and there were trees inbetween them and the predator.

    - Disabling one of the captives to make the other not leave it or slow them down.
    that's not intelligent. it likely bit in his leg to drag him along and used his other two legs to drag TJ. creatures commonly bite in other creature's legs to drag them along, since you preserve the meat the most that way.


    - Setting a trap for the hunting party
    nothing intelligent to it. smart, perhaps. but that doesn't make the creature intelligent. not intelligent enough for "omg wtf th3y havs fir3"


    - Recognizing fire and non-aggression
    which was my objection against the creature.


    the creature backing down in the middle of his cave was stupid too, for no other reason that creatures, especially predators, are most dangerous near their home, because they're territorial.

  15. #35
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,137

    Default Re: The Predator

    Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post


    the creature backing down in the middle of his cave was stupid too, for no other reason that creatures, especially predators, are most dangerous near their home, because they're territorial.
    The show isn't well written for one. The writers seemed to be implying a Velociraptor (Jurrasic Park), alien (Alien), or even killer whale sort of behaviour to put across the intelligent idea. I agree that inside the cave, Greer posed no threat (other than possibly blinding the creature) with that 5.56mm weapon or his 9mm sidearm. It is likely the predator felt the crew were no threat and backed down its aggression level. There is no sense in threatening the sirloin steak in the refrigerator is there?

    A bear will endure thousands of stings to get a little honey. The creature probably bottom-lined it and came to the conclusion they weren't worth the trouble (smarter than the bear).

  16. #36
    Colonel
    Member Since
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,933

    Default Re: The Predator

    The animal was intelligent, and recognised that they were also intelligent because of the fire. That's why it let them go.

  17. #37
    Captain Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Leeds,West Yorkshire, U.K
    Posts
    1,132

    Default Re: The Predator

    Lots of animals are smart but I would have no problem with anyone eating them. I just don't get that just because it looked at the fire that means it must be intelligent.

  18. #38
    First Lieutenant D Toccs's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    612

    Default Re: The Predator

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
    Lots of animals are smart but I would have no problem with anyone eating them. I just don't get that just because it looked at the fire that means it must be intelligent.
    It's not just that it looked at the fire. It's that it recognized that creating fire made the humans intelligent, it was also intelligent enough to create a fake trail and ambush the rescue party. It was also intelligent enough to understand that Greer chose not to attack it, and it let them leave peacefully.

    From what we saw, I would say that it was probably at a similar level of intelligence to what Homo Erectus was on Earth. Not fully sapient, but definately sentient.

  19. #39
    Captain Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Leeds,West Yorkshire, U.K
    Posts
    1,132

    Default Re: The Predator

    Quote Originally Posted by D Toccs View Post
    It's not just that it looked at the fire. It's that it recognized that creating fire made the humans intelligent, it was also intelligent enough to create a fake trail and ambush the rescue party. It was also intelligent enough to understand that Greer chose not to attack it, and it let them leave peacefully.

    From what we saw, I would say that it was probably at a similar level of intelligence to what Homo Erectus was on Earth. Not fully sapient, but definately sentient.
    And you know this because it told you?

  20. #40
    First Lieutenant D Toccs's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    612

    Default Re: The Predator

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
    And you know this because it told you?
    Because it was the implication of the episode.

Similar Threads

  1. Predator ship
    By mickhhh in forum SGA Science and Tech
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: October 2nd, 2013, 11:16 AM
  2. Wraith vs. Predator
    By Ancavge in forum SG-1 Science and Tech
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: August 31st, 2011, 03:56 PM
  3. Predator Superior?
    By Stewart5 in forum SG-1 Science and Tech
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: February 24th, 2009, 06:47 AM
  4. Predator vs. SG-1, Who would win?
    By Saber_Dart in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: December 11th, 2005, 02:28 AM
  5. Alien Vs Predator
    By Jonas in forum General Sci-Fi and Fantasy
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: August 15th, 2004, 05:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •