Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lieutenant Colonel

Default Re: Thing they were eating at the end

Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
    Morals be damned, nothing gets in the way of tasty space venison.
    that's what I'm talking about

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by noxic View Post
    I agree and I liked everyone (aside from Park) on the planet a little less for lacking the empathy that was very, very graciously shown to themselves by the predators. I feel like O'Neill or Sheppard would have let the deer go at the end and we would have gotten that feel-good ending, but this is just a different type of show. And let's face it, when it comes to the treatment of animals, this was more realistic.. people put themselves first.

As far as "a good reason" not to eat the things goes.. any of these people ever think the animal could be highly toxic/poisonous to humans? At least with plants there are fairly reliable ways to test edibility.
    Oneill or Shepard (or any other competent soldier) would have wasted that cat during the initial attack. Oneill would have brought back enough venison for a feast.

Meat can spoil pretty quickly. Perhaps they can use the stasis pods to keep it fresh?

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by jsonitsac View Post
    Meat can spoil pretty quickly. Perhaps they can use the stasis pods to keep it fresh?
    Unless they score a few hundred pounds spoiling will not be an issue. To think a ship that can bend the rules of physics does not have a refrigerator is plain folly.

Could be that they found one of the missing LA people...

regards,
    G.
    Go for Marty...

Running for my life from a hoard of zombies.

I have to admit, I wouldn't have turned down the chance to eat some actual meat either.

MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Captain Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble's Avatar

People eat meat, what's the big deal about eating the dear. I have no problem with anyone eating any animal that is on this Earth as long as it is sustainable i.e. no eating whales.

How intelligent actually was that predator, I don't think it would be morally wrong to kill it and eat it. It would be better to kill it and then use it rather than waste it.

Staff Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
    People eat meat, what's the big deal about eating the dear. I have no problem with anyone eating any animal that is on this Earth as long as it is sustainable i.e. no eating whales.
    The distinction I make when it comes to what's huntable or not isn't about sustainability, it's about intelligence, just like in the episode.

The predator probably just wasn't familiar with technology so it didn't know what to think of the weapons and electrical stuff. Fire is a universal thing and the ability to make it is a very obvious sign of intelligence.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with eating the space deer. It's the predator's food supply and now it's the crew's for a day. Big freakin' deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_7 View Post
    And I thought the thread was going to be about what was actually cooked and hanging at Beckers BBQ.
    Me too haha. I'm guessing it's an actual deer but I really don't know. Never hunted and never will unless I need to.

I bet they go fishing in the next episode.

I wish there wasn't so much discontinuity with regards to food. From starving aftermath. To feasting visitation. To starving twin destinies. To maybe not needing to eat meat the hunt.
    Why is it discontinuity? It would make perfect sense that some planets rich with life replenish their food supplies more than other desert-type and rocky planets.

Quote Originally Posted by Egle01 View Post
    Why is it discontinuity? It would make perfect sense that some planets rich with life replenish their food supplies more than other desert-type and rocky planets.
    Because in visitation with the dome repaired, they said that they almost don't even need to go off ship to gather supplies anymore.

And yet in twin destiny's, they're raiding the pantry with Chloe going we eat good tonight.

So either a) they are self sufficient now, or b) they need to go off world more to gather food. But with more and more people no longer with them, you'd think that food wasn't such a pressing issue anymore.

If there was a season 3, would it be all about food? Almost up to episode 40 and the main topic is still what's for dinner?

Because in visitation with the dome repaired, they said that they almost don't even need to go off ship to gather supplies anymore.

And yet in twin destiny's, they're raiding the pantry with Chloe going we eat good tonight.
    Maybe it's a difference between eating just enough to survive or having a feast and a real dinner.

If there was a season 3, would it be all about food? Almost up to episode 40 and the main topic is still what's for dinner?
    While their conditions have improved, and it's not about basic survival as much as it was before, I can understand the talk about food. And it's hardly main topic. The crew had been eating moop (I think that's what it was called by the cast), other stuff that doesn't taste good, then veggie diet, and now finally some meat.

I don't see a problem here at all. Food is something that's needed all the time, and since there's 80 or so (whatever the current number is, it's still lots of folks) people onboard, they eat a lot even in one day.

I understand that food is of concern. But if the show was only going to be about food, why bother with the whole space ship thing? It just seems like a lot of content gets left out leaving a hard to follow story at times. Like why was Scott on the planet where the blue planimal infected him? Why were they on this planet? Medicinal supplies? Food? Cabin fever? Not that we need to be spoon fed every little detail. But there tends to be more questions than answers on average.

This one just seemed to be a little too convenient factor (like the shuttles). A way to kill off all but 1 of the remaining LA folks. While having something a little more than JUST that.