Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
    More questions:

1. The sentence 'You've also been giving the guards a hard time getting here' sounds awkward and I think it will even if I add the word 'you.' How best should I write this?
    Can you not just say, "You've been giving the guards a hard time." If the story talks about them being in transit, you shouldn't need to repeat it.

As for punctuation, use it how the character talks. If your character uses a lot of pauses for emphasis, then by all means throw the commas in there. Punctuation isn't just for clarity. If you read your work out loud, where the punctuation goes should become obvious.
    Last edited by Feast of the Muse; 17 April 2011, 11:06 AM.
    Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
    Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

^I agree. If we've seen this character giving the guards problems over the trip, and this is the first conversation after their arrival, saying "I heard you gave the guards a hard time" is sufficient. We know from the context when that occured; adding "bringing you here" is fairly redundant.

Comment

Is nail gun one word or two?
        Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

I'm under the impression it's one of those terms that can be either one or two words. I once worked for a company that manufactured them, and at the time, even some of our sales literature couldn't decide.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
          Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
          sigpic
          now also appearing on DeviantArt
          Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
            I'm under the impression it's one of those terms that can be either one or two words. I once worked for a company that manufactured them, and at the time, even some of our sales literature couldn't decide.
            Yay! It's up to me!

I get to tell a word what to do.

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Yay! It's up to me!

I get to tell a word what to do.
              Don't you love it when that happens?

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
              Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Hauled this over from Fan Fic Pet Peeves...

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                <snip>
                On the subject of hieroglyphs, anyone have any thoughts on when people use them (or other symbols) in their stories? Either as part of the story so that we see what the characters see or as scene breaks? My personal opinion is moderation and only in the story if it makes sense.
                This I would like to see. Have you guys ever wandered over to how-to-learn-any-language.com
                ? We'd fit in well there. Through them I discovered a Princeton webpage that has a bunch of linguistic challenges and I've completed a few of them. There are a few that don't have answers, so if any of you do the Luvian puzzle I would be very interested in exchanging our answers to see how I did.

Anyway, I would like to see just how you would incorporate them into the story, both code-wise and how you present it and such.

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                BTW, mathpiglet, have I mentioned how much your siggie's quote makes me giggle?
                Me too!! And I avoid both drinking and deriving.
                Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
                Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

Whereas I've been known to derive enjoyment from drinking... But calculus and I parted company a long time ago, on the basis of mutual dislike.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                  Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

I can't drive, but I did learn that Heineken + Cherry Coke = not awesome.

Comment

Heineken = not awesome anyway, so I can't imagine that adding Cherry Coke would help much.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                      Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Heineken = not awesome anyway, so I can't imagine that adding Cherry Coke would help much.
                        It's the best beer I know of that's smooth and tastes the least like... well, horse pee.

Comment

It's the best beer I know of that's smooth and tastes the least like... well, horse pee.
                          If you're drinking beer that tastes ANYTHING like horse pee, then you're drinking the wrong beer. Heineken is a pilsner, as are the majority of the major brands sold in the US. To me, almost all pilsners taste rather nasty (I've encountered perhaps four that don't), so it seems to be a characteristic of the style. If you want a beer that will taste nothing like pee of any sort, forget pilsners. In other words, forget Bud, Bud Light, Miller, Miller Lite, Milwaukee's Worst - er, I mean Best - and all that other stuff, and forget Heineken. (I call it "Hiney" because to me it tastes like... well, you get the picture.) Try an ale instead, especially of the amber variety or an Irish Red, like Killian's. Another good option would be Hoegaarden, if you want a good import. It's a wheat beer, and tastes slightly citrusy. This can be enhanced even more by adding a slice of orange, and it is often served that way, as is Blue Moon, which is an American wheat beer in the same style (both Killian's Irish Red and Blue Moon are craft-brew styles produced by brewing giant Coors). Not all beer tastes even remotely the same, just as all varieties of soda pop don't taste the same. Beer comes in various flavors, and there's usually one to fit nearly every palate.

I'm something of a beer connoisseur, and I also brew my own sometimes.

ETA: Oh, and this is very important: avoid beers that come in green or clear bottles. Part of that "horse pee" taste, also known as "skunk" or "skunkiness" is the result of a chemical reaction that occurs when light reacts with beer. Brown bottles prevent this, as do cans (in which case, if it tastes "off", it's either a characteristic of the beer itself, or the canned beer was exposed to heat or to major temperature fluctuations). Green bottles and clear bottles allow in light of the wavelengths that are murder on flavor.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                          Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

I'm something of a beer connoisseur, and I also brew my own sometimes.
                            Dude! Awesome! I should have found this place ages ago.

The only people who recommend beer are my dad (who likes stout and bad wine tastes) and fiancée (who will drink anything, especially the hard stuff that smells like an ashtray).

Comment

Mmmm stout. My favorites are Guinness Extra Stout and Red Stripe. I had a really great german beer that was practically black and really liked it. That was in Kansas City at a brewery/restaurant, so I don't know the name of it.

Ana, what kind of beer do I like, technically speaking? My problem with most beer is that it messes with my sinuses and most annoyingly, my energy level. So I really don't drink much anymore, as the physical sensation isn't 'warm and tingly' as it is tired and shaky. My body just doesn't like sugar. Oh well, my recruiter told me the Navy is trying to polish their image, so not drinking is not a problem for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Goose View Post
                                Cannot or can not? I've seen both types, and as far as I'm aware, both are acceptable. Which do you prefer, and why? Personally, I like cannot, because, to me, words generally look better if written together rather than apart (which would probably explain why I love word nevertheless.) In Swedish, which is my mother language, words are mostly written together (fire engine, for example, would be spelt fireengine, though obviously in Swedish), and one of the worst 'sins' of Swedish is to spell a word as two words if they are supposed to be spelt as one. So that's why I tend to, sometime erroneously, prefer English spellings that are spelt as one rather than two words. Anyone else have any thoughts, or preferences?
                                I switch between cannot and can not, not sure why? But mostly I used cannot, so not to confuse people.
                                Last edited by badwolfSG; 19 April 2011, 09:25 PM.
                                sigpic There are my dogs!

If you had to chose, die or watch the world die, what would you pick?"

Comment

Working...
                                X