X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Pointlessness" of Stargate Atlantis

Hey folks,

First off, please do not take this as an anti-SGA bash! I own 4 of the 5 SGA seasons and I enjoyed watching them, especially McKay's self-obsessive antics. The title is more of an attention-gatherer than an actual "all of SGA is pointless." It's not pointless.

What I want to talk about rather is SGA's repeated failures. It annoyed me a lot watching the show because at the end, they didn't accomplish anything. Think about it for a minute:

They found live, real, breathing Ancients that were willing to work with humanity. Though they took back Atlantis (which is rightfully their's), the amount of information that could be learned from them is endless. These Ancients were all killed by the Asurans (which personally, I find to be inaccurate. They knew the Asuran's had overwritten the programming when they destroyed the Ancient puddle-jumper, so they had time to arm defenses and prevent them from coming in. Plus, we're dealing with beings with telekinetic abilities who are way smarter than the humans. O'Neill built a replicator weapon using Ancient knowledge (before Ascension) so they should have had the same knowledge with which to defeat the Replicators). Strike that one off.

They finally solved their power problems finding Project Arcturus. McKay accidentally got it and the solar system destroyed. Scratch one!

Again, they managed to solve their power problems by creating the Bridge with McKay and his sister. Oh whoops, problem with the parallel reality, scratch that one off.

They created a retrovirus to turn Wraith into humans. Wait... the Wraith are still evil and can revert back to their form without repeated injections. Forget that one too.

They find a machine capable of Ascending people and promises a huge advantage to technology and Earth's understanding of science by people who use it. Oh wait, it's eventually going to kill you in a handful of days and you can't ascend so let's dump that one.

They met an Ascended being on a planet (the one John flirted with). After bringing her back there, let's just leave her there and never mention her again.

They got an Ancient warship, the Orion. It was destroyed in it's first real battle with the Wraith, so much for that one.

I mean no offense to any SGA fans, I truly enjoyed the show as a source of entertainment. I just feel that so much of the show never accomplished anything. After 5 seasons, they had the same technology they started out with and everything they started out with, hardly anything new.

We see some of this in SG-1, but not a lot of it. SG-1 adapted technology to build the X302's and X303's, they regularly used the Zat guns, they adapted tons of Asgard technology (beaming, shields, weapons, etc), they created a poison that killed symbiotes with help from the Tokra, etc. They accomplished quite a bit, though there were times when they got something it ended up being destroyed.

Thoughts on this?

I pretty much agree 100%

Comment

The show kind of wrote itself into a hole. One hand you don't want to make your heroes too powerful which is difficult when you have a galaxy of advanced technology
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Agreed, jelgate. It's a careful balance of making the heroes of the show seem real and defeatable, but not making them overpowered, yet you're dealing with highly advanced Ancient technology which sort of already grants everyone a modicum of power.
        Spoiler:
        Killing of Carson Beckett was very poorly done, for instance.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          The show kind of wrote itself into a hole. One hand you don't want to make your heroes too powerful which is difficult when you have a galaxy of advanced technology
          and that's why you need a stronger enemy. Wraith were joke and Assurans managed to destroy few settlements. Not a big deal

and with or without Lantean technology, SGA heroes were always too powerful and invincible
          Stolen Kosovo
          sigpic

Comment

Well if you analyze it that way then it makes sense. I tend to avoid going so nitty gritty on aspects of a Sci-Fi show.

I guess they wanted to make it seem like Earth was still far away from becoming advanced. They threw all these opportunities at them to gain significant knowledge and capabilities. But if they had been able to attain any of those they would have become too powerful and it wouldn't make sense.

The only aspect that wasn't pointless was the very last episode when Atlantis ends up on Earth. Of course that's when the series ends so doesn't really count.
            sigpic

Comment

They found live, real, breathing Ancients that were willing to work with humanity
              no. they shoved us out of atlantis and told us "later, later"

They finally solved their power problems finding Project Arcturus. McKay accidentally got it and the solar system destroyed. Scratch one!
              the technology was inherently a failure. Arcturus works fine. it's just impossible to drain ZPE from a universe without creating exotic particles

Again, they managed to solve their power problems by creating the Bridge with McKay and his sister. Oh whoops, problem with the parallel reality, scratch that one off.
              destroying another universe isn't something you should take lightly, especially since there can be life at the other end of the universe that you don't know about.

They created a retrovirus to turn Wraith into humans. Wait... the Wraith are still evil and can revert back to their form without repeated injections. Forget that one too.
              Michael proves that sufficient injections can make it permanent.

They find a machine capable of Ascending people and promises a huge advantage to technology and Earth's understanding of science by people who use it. Oh wait, it's eventually going to kill you in a handful of days and you can't ascend so let's dump that one.
              Mckay was capable of ascension but chose not to

They met an Ascended being on a planet (the one John flirted with). After bringing her back there, let's just leave her there and never mention her again.
              she was punished. she could only protect the people on the planet, and wasn't allowed to let other people be there.

They got an Ancient warship, the Orion. It was destroyed in it's first real battle with the Wraith, so much for that one.
              earth's record with alien ships is less than stellar. in fact, the only one we ever kept was Atlantis

I mean no offense to any SGA fans, I truly enjoyed the show as a source of entertainment. I just feel that so much of the show never accomplished anything. After 5 seasons, they had the same technology they started out with and everything they started out with, hardly anything new.
              true. the biggest problem was the "all or nothing" mentality. if you find an ancient ship, it's uber powerful, but once power fails, it's nothing. you have this uberhive that's totally immune to everything but is defeated by a single nuke.

it's always all or nothing. totally invincible or easily defeated

not to mention the blue Death Rays

Comment

Working...
              X