• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Epitaph" Comics on the way!

http://airlockalpha.com/node/8387/ar...dollhouse.html

Artistic License: Welcome Back To The Dollhouse
    Dark Horse brings 'Dollhouse' to comics with 'Epitaphs'

Joss Whedon fans have reason to celebrate this week. “Dollhouse” has come to comics, compliments of Dark Horse Comics and Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen.

“Dollhouse: Epitaphs” is a one-shot issue, but it leads into an upcoming special series that will be released later this year. The story is meant to be a prologue to the events of the episodes of “Epitaph 1” and “Epitaph 2,” which ended each of the show's two seasons.

Readers will finally see the actual events that led up to these episodes, particularly how the mind-wiping technology of the Dollhouse was released into the general population, and what happened after that fateful moment.

Three characters from the show, Mag (Maggie), Zone and Griff, are the central characters for this comic. When much of the world is mind-wiped, they are among the survivors who have retained their identities. They meet in this issue, and start to look for other survivors.

We also see another familiar character, Alpha, who seems to be starting to build his forces. Lastly we meet Trevor, a young man who it seems may be important in the future chapters of this story.

I am sorry to say that I have only watched one episode of “Dollhouse.” It's one of those things that I keep meaning to watch, but I never seem to find the time. I do know the basic premise, and some of the details, but the first question that came to my mind was if I would understand and enjoy this comic and the upcoming limited series.

I have mixed feelings on that. I have read enough about the Epitaph episodes to have a basic understanding of what was seen in the show. However, there are references to things that did not make sense until I did further research.

While the story they have started to tell is interesting, I believe those who have seen the whole television series will be more pleased with the comic than those readers who are not familiar with the characters and events of the show.

The artwork in the issue, by Cliff Richards, is nice. I especially liked the scenes of destruction, and the images of the “butchers” as they become mindless monsters.

I did, however, have a problem with Phil Noto's cover. The woman featured seems to be meant to be the character Mag, played in the show by Felicia Day. I'm sorry, but it simply does not look like her to me. In the issue, Richards does a much better job of making the character resemble the actress.

Had both depictions been similar, that would not be so bad, even if there were no resemblance to Day. However, it simply looks like two completely different characters to me.

There is one catch with this comic. I cannot confirm if this is the same comic that was released as part of the season two DVD and Blu-ray sets. Information on various websites leads me to believe that the comic that was part of the sets was actually the first few pages of this comic, and this release is the full-length version. If that is indeed the case, some fans may not be pleased that they got with their set was originally an “exclusive” but is now available to the general public, as an even larger version.

If you are a “Dollhouse” fan, then I think you'll enjoy this comic. The first issue of the limited series will be released in July, and if you plan to read it, you'll want to pick up this issue first. After reading it, however, you may be reluctant to answer your phone ... you never know what will happen.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

In the DVD Set for the Second Season there was a comic preview of Epitath. But I do not like it that much... I mean I read the Buffy Comics up to Vol.4 but it destroys the story more than it helps. So I rather think that these comics for Angel and Buffy never happend and stick only to the tv shows, lets see how the comics are for Dollhouse...
    sigpic

Comment

I had no idea this was old news, I only just saw it the other day.

Anyway, there was a lot of stuff left untold between The Hollow Men and the Epitaph stories. I could see this going well....I've enjoyed the Firefly comics well enough.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
      X