Why would anyone want to ascend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Devlin Kyle SG-9 View Post
    The Ancients/Alterans are a bunch of ***holes and aren't much better morally than the Ori. They have all that power and just sit back and do NOTHING while the galaxy burns in S9 and 10.

If being ascended means being what they are...I'll pass.
    There's a fair share of ascended Ancients, particularly the collective group known as The Others, who can be seen as complete jerks. However, I wouldn't go so far as to say that they're as far off as the ascended Ori. The big issue with the non-interference is not a jerk thing but, rather, letting events take place through as close as possible to a natural order. There were obviously exceptions to that - like when they turned a blind eye to SG-1 sending the Sangraal through to the Ori - but, for the most part, the Ancients have always done a pretty good job of staying out of the way and letting the lower lifeforms do their own thing.

It sounds like you are addressing 2 topics:

1) the moral ambiguity of ascended beings, and
    2) why anyone might want to ascend.

Would I want to ascend? Yes! Of course. If given the option, it would be a fantastic next step. Passing from one life to the next would be great. Really, the question should be:

Why would anyone not want to ascend?
    Are you in the Kansas City area? Do you know any SG fans in the area?
    Email me and join the local group of Stargate enthusiasts! (Email address in my profile.)
    What if... events occurred differently in Stargate? | Which version Stargate fan are you?
    An all new crew: Who would you want MGM to hire for a new Stargate show or movie(s)?
    When have you met SG cast or crew (excluding conventions)?
    Stargate Enthusiasts in the Kansas City Area | Being Introduced to Stargate

Comment

Well, I'd ascend even if I couldn't interfere, mainly because of the amount of knowledge and wisdom blablabla I will gain. Even Rush wants to ascend.
      "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

On second thought, because the Others are ascended and I want to finally meet Ben Linus.
        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Also, you and other like-minded ascendeds could break away from the main group, adopt a distant galaxy of your own, and make your own rules (or lack thereof).

Comment

Originally posted by caribsci View Post
            Oh and another thing.......earth been hiding the stargate program from its own ppl...but want to go to other worlds and ask others to disclose their program to the entire populace......how is that right?
            Well said.

Also another option for the ancients. They could simply have nullified the Priors powers and then when they tried to preach, they'd simply look like fools and get themselves kicked back to their home galaxy.
            From what i gathered, most of a prior's powre came from their staffs,and some was internalized.. So how would the ancients have nullified them?

Earth had absolutely no proof at all that the Ori were lying.
            The only evidence ever given that the Ori didn't ascend people was the word of Orlin. That may have been enough for Earth and it may be enough for us the viewers, but it is by no means a convincing argument to make.

Going around telling people the Ori are lying because an Ancient told them as much, is equivalent to saying, "Your gods are bad, because our gods say so".
            Agreed in some sense.. We also got clarification from Adria as well as Daniel.

Just my interjection here. People with power having a duty to help others is something that's taught, not necessarily true. The whole compassion for others and how you treat other people are all morals imposed by society. It doesn't mean its true.
            Very true.. And even not all earthen culturs have a part in it about those with the power to help must.

Also, you and other like-minded ascendeds could break away from the main group, adopt a distant galaxy of your own, and make your own rules (or lack thereof).
            Do we even know if they can go galaxy to galaxy?

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
              Do we even know if they can go galaxy to galaxy?
              That's a good question, but I think the answer is yes. A final confrontation was anticipated between the ascended Ori and the ascended Ancients, diverted only because of Merlin's weapon. For such a battle to occur, one of the two groups would have to travel to the other group's galaxy. Also, Ganis Lal (Lao?) appears to SG-1 in 3 different galaxies: Milky Way, Pegasus, and the Ori home galaxy.

Comment

Maybe she "Tied herself" to Jackson? Much like Obi wan did it with Luke.

Comment

Vala gave the answer in the last season : improving ourself could be the life's sense, and I'm agree with that, since that's what everything in the universe tend to do. And ascending totally responds to this definition.

On the other point, I'm totally agree with the autor of this post, most of the Anciens were totally stupid (they really don't reflect what I consider a "superior intelligence"), by doing nothing while Oris were interfering in the inferior world. The fact that happens in a galaxy or another one has no value, distances don't count about this question, the only one is : inferior vs superior world. If one interfere, their rule is overrided, and must be fixed.
                  Oris did that by giving powers to inferior beings.

For the ones who speak about similarities between Oris and an the Earth's attempt to convert :

- Oris know they're lying, and they do that for their benefit.
                  Tellurians think (and know) they're true, and do that by altruism.
                  - Oris kill people who don't believe in them, they deny the right of free-will.
                  Tellurians just report what they know, then let people choose what they'll believe in.
                  - Oris are wrong, claiming they're gods.
                  Tellurians are right, the truth is that Oris are powerful, but not gods, like the Ancients are.
                  And they just say that, it's not like they would say Ancients are gods.
                  - Fondamentally, Oris have a religious behavior ("here is the truth, you MUST believe it")
                  Tellurians have rationnel behavior ("here is what I think, and to underpin that, here are the proofs I've").
                  - Oris can't proove they're right
                  Tellurians can. Proving Oris are wrong, by bringing out that no superior being appears while Oris' believers die.
                  Proving Ancients are true, by bringing out superior beings appear while some individual, spiritually very advanced (while not believing in Oris) die, as that happened during the story.

Comment

Ascension would be the ultimate goal for someone more interested in knowledge than action

Comment

It's worth considering that we don't have all of the information; we don't know the exact reasons for why the ascended beings did what they did, or, rather, didn't do what they didn't do. It's generally poor judgment to judge someone without hearing their side of the story.

So perhaps the ascended beings have a really great reason for their inaction and if we could ascend us, they'd share the reasons and we'd go "Oh yeah, right- lol I can totally see why you didn't do anything there! Boy what a terrible idea that would've been, eh?"
                      They figured he was a lazy, time-wasting slacker. They were right.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                        It's worth considering that we don't have all of the information; we don't know the exact reasons for why the ascended beings did what they did, or, rather, didn't do what they didn't do. It's generally poor judgment to judge someone without hearing their side of the story.

So perhaps the ascended beings have a really great reason for their inaction and if we could ascend us, they'd share the reasons and we'd go "Oh yeah, right- lol I can totally see why you didn't do anything there! Boy what a terrible idea that would've been, eh?"
                        Plus, they *did* do something huge. They hid the existence of humans in the Milky Way (and probably Pegasus) from the Ori. Which was, you know, pretty cool of them.

Comment

Then you also have to take into account they saw what effect worshiping ascended beings was having, so they more than likely felt if they interefered here, they would get worshiped..

Comment

Why would anyone want to ascend?
                            To watch all the filthy disgusting sexual things that mortals get up to, of course. Being ascended is the ultimate form of peeping Tom.
                            Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Comment

I would not want to ascend. You have the power to help but are forbidden from doing so. That would truly be hell for me. I think it's what Daniel comes to understand and when Valla says she understands why Daniel left the ascended this is what she means.

I'd also like to suggest perhaps the rule about not ascending lower lifeforms isn't an ancient only rule. Perhaps there is more to being ascended then let on and like we have international politics they have intergalactic politics to consider.

Tim

Comment

It's a sort of gain/lose scenario. Daniel said it was 'amazing' and a brilliant journey,but that not being able to help those he cared about the most was one of the worst things ever. I think if you were in a situation where you were fully concentrated on 'the journey' on not in a position that Daniel was, it would be something you would want.

Comment

Working...
                                X