No announcement yet.

The Stones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like Dregun's theories. Perhaps the Pentagon stones suffered slight damage when the building collapsed? Maybe that would explain why the three women kept switching so frequently and the signals of Ginn and Amanda were getting weaker.

ArchaeoNerd

Comment

Drgun, so you are saying you think, basically, that a consciousness downloads to the stone then when someone connects to the other stone all of the data switches. So person A connects to stone A (person and stone are now A) and person B connects to stone B (B and B) then the data switches in the stones. So now stone A now contains person B's information and stone B contains person A's consciousness?

If this is what you are meaning then I am unsure why they would lose the connection when they drop in and out of FTL. Unless you think that the information somehow switches in a matter of unpredicted moments.

Comment

This sounds like a good theory, with one major problem: When Daniel and Vala used the stones to go to the Ori galaxy, and they were about to die, Mitchell disconnected the devices by throwing the whole device into the gate's initial vortex, instantly destroying it. By your theory that should have destroyed Daniel and Vala's consciousnesses.

The stones are a much newer technology than Destiny's computers, so if the Ginn and Amanda "signals" were stored on the stones then they should not have degraded at all. They aren't fading away from the really really old ship's computer, so why would they fade away from stones, which are newer more advanced technology?

My theory is that the stones are just transmitters, like a wireless adapter for a laptop. If I'm reading this site and someone comes and smashes my laptop, the pages are still stored on the server and I can go to another computer and read them. Bad analogy, but you see the point, right?

Comment

traylor..

A-B - I'm thinking the data transmits between the stones only when the conciousness of those individuals is returned. So while Person A is with stone A all the data is transmitted back to stone A for new memories and the like. Once conciousness is changed the stones transmit that copy back to the other stone for uploading into Person B and Persons B stone would transmit that conciousness back to person A. It would also mean it can transfer that large amount of information 6 times in just a moment, as it would have to transmit

Store/Download Conciousness
          Person A -> Stone A
          Person B -> Stone B

Transmit Conciousness
          Stone A -> Stone B
          Stone B -> Stone A

Upload Conciousness
          Stone A - Person B
          Stone B - Person A

FTL -- Good point, it could be though that the signal that is downloading the new memories into the stones is being interupted and therefore the signal breaks for a moment. Yet to do so means that the stones can differentiate between a simple signal failure to complete loss of signal (ie death) or it wouldn't download the peoples original conciousness back into them.

As I said this was just my theory and with enough looking I'm sure more holes would come up. I don't want to make new rules everytime something comes along to disprove my theory, it would have to make sense and be explained with other things experienced with the stones. Unfortunatly my only knowledge of the stones comes from SGU, I didn't watch any other SG series. The idea that the signal would be trapped in space doesn't make much sense to me as a signal has an origin, the degration of the signal would be most severe the farther away from the original signal you were (I think). Therefore if the ship "isn't" in FTL the signal would be the strongest as they are not moving away from it...I think

Comment

Originally posted by dgh64 View Post
            This sounds like a good theory, with one major problem: When Daniel and Vala used the stones to go to the Ori galaxy, and they were about to die, Mitchell disconnected the devices by throwing the whole device into the gate's initial vortex, instantly destroying it. By your theory that should have destroyed Daniel and Vala's consciousnesses.

The stones are a much newer technology than Destiny's computers, so if the Ginn and Amanda "signals" were stored on the stones then they should not have degraded at all. They aren't fading away from the really really old ship's computer, so why would they fade away from stones, which are newer more advanced technology?

My theory is that the stones are just transmitters, like a wireless adapter for a laptop. If I'm reading this site and someone comes and smashes my laptop, the pages are still stored on the server and I can go to another computer and read them. Bad analogy, but you see the point, right?
            They were fading away from within Chloe, as her personality was increasingly retaking the parts of her subconscious they were stored in?
            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

I think the stones operate on something like quantum entanglement. For a pair of particles whatever effect occurs on one particle happens to the other particle no matter where in the universe they are. Thats why the stones work in pairs. They could be entangled themselves and also entangle whatever came in contact with them. For me this would be the only way to achieve the instantaneous effects we observe with the stones across any distance in the universe.

Comment

Originally posted by erotavlas View Post
                I think the stones operate on something like quantum entanglement. For a pair of particles whatever effect occurs on one particle happens to the other particle no matter where in the universe they are. Thats why the stones work in pairs. They could be entangled themselves and also entangle whatever came in contact with them. For me this would be the only way to achieve the instantaneous effects we observe with the stones across any distance in the universe.
                I think this is the intended theory. The other explanation regarding downloads & transmitting can't happen in real time, especially over the distance. Even RF can't pass through a wormhole back to Earth, at least without a long delay
                The signature has been destroyed!

Comment

There was a discussion last week on why would the ancients build a communication device where there is a danger of both users might die from it. And we learn from the past that ancient technology have alot of redundancies in them. Maybe the stones do have a protection mechanism where if something were to happen to any one of the users, the users would be stored temporary so that other ancients can fix what is wrong with the users before restoring them back.

I think it's only now that the destiny crew manage to accidentally activate this restore functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by Trinary View Post
                    I think a constant blackout happened to Chloe under Blue Alien influence and then removed may leave extra room that just enough for Amanda and Ginn consciousness to jump in...snip... May be, the expanded Chloe's brain capability altered by the Blue Alien were strong enough to allows both Amanda and Ginn to jump in.
                    I think it might be a combination of those 2 thoughts.. that she had a near death experience (if you will) under the blues care, and that they morphed her mind.

Comment

The stones work via subspace so who says time works the same way, maybe once in subspace it does not matter where in the universe you are you can access the information anywhere.

I felt the situation in Hope seemed to suggest subspace acts like cloud storage which can store (although weak) the the person for later retrieval.

I believe rather than a direct mind transfer the processing takes place in the persons original body. Think of computer that takes over another on what you see on the screen changes and what the computer controls is the 'host' computer but the commands could originate from half way around the world.

I believe there is no actual transfer of consciousness can take place because it is held in the structure of the brain so unless the stones rewire your brain they cannot work.

Comment

My theory of the Stones.

Mick Jagger did some of that stuff.

Comment

Just think, one of them could have hit three birds with one stone, so to speak...

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                            Just think, one of them could have hit three birds with one stone, so to speak...
                            It kind of did, didn't it.
                            sigpic

Comment

Probably the vast distance between destiny and earth the residue of the consciousness signals that emitted through space which is have yet reaching the other end. Since the stone has been modified to do just 2 ways consciousness swapping, The bounce back Chloe consciousness collecting leftover residue from Ginn and Mandy consciousness that fail to return to their own body cause by death.

Comment

Working...
                              X