Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reason for Vala's smaller SG 1 patches?

hi there!
    just been watching sg1 and notices that Vala's sg1 patches are smaller than everyone elses, does anyone know why please?

sorry if this topic has already been covered, i did a brief search but found nothing.

thanx in advance

Really? I hadn't noticed that. When they strapped them on her uniform (when Mitchell officially made her a member of SG1), they seemed the same size as everyone elses.

Comment

Yeah, would need a screencap to compare.
      sigpic

Comment

Because she's the most junior member and needs to earn the "big girl" patches?

Comment

heres a screenshot,

Comment

if you notice, claudia's clothes, especially her top and jacket, are tailored to be much more tight fitting than the others, making her sleeves smaller and the regulation size patches were likely too big.

in season 10, they startted to kinda do the same with amanda, but prior to season 7 especially, season 9 also, all them were pretty much regulation air force clothes.

if you look at claudia's pants, she wore flare bottomed hip huggers instead of regulation BDU's
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

so the smaller patches are designed to be proportional to the rest of the uniform, thanx for the heads-up, suddenly the world makes sense!

Comment

Just my guess. But it seems to make sense for why they'd abandon or have made new stuff that they already had on hand (I'd imagine that they had the SGC patches made by the dozens)

sigpic

Comment

Its a shame realy because my wife has bought me an sg1 and earth patche but they are only 2" daimeter and i dont have the heart to tell her that she has got the wrong ones!
                  I will have to get some full size ones myself and hope she doesnt notice!
                  Wish me luck! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Axl View Post
                    In this shot, the patch that is seen on Vala's shirt is on her left side - the opposite of the side the SG1 patches are on Cam's and Sam's shirts (who's patches are on their right arms). So it might not be Vala's SG1 patch; it could be another patch entirely. Wasn't she given two by General Landry?

In fact, on looking through the Gallery at Memento Mori, that could be the SGC patch she's got on her left shoulder, which is the same side that Mitchell has his SGC patch. He wears the SG1 and "bird" patch on his other shoulder.
                    Last edited by hedwig; 26 March 2011, 03:14 PM.

Comment

one would be the SGC patch, the other the SG1 patch

scroll down, the 2 main ones are shown here

http://www.mcp-concepts.com/works/wo...te-costume.htm

sigpic

Comment

I think these are good examples of the size difference;

Carter's Patches
                        Spoiler:

Vala's SG1 Patch
                        Spoiler:

Vala's Earth Patch
                        Spoiler:

Vala compared to Jackson and Cam
                        Spoiler:

I had always thought it was just to make the patches look more natural on Vala' jacket. When she's standing beside the other SG1 members, her patches do look small but they are at least proportional to her, while Carter's in the first picture look huge.

From a production point of view, do a few for Claudia, they make the patch natural on her arm while everyone else uses the originals. Would save on reproducing them in bulk for everyone's clothing (extras, guest stars and main characters) and tailoring the outfits all over to remove the large velcro pad to replace it with a smaller one.

sigpic

Comment

Yep. My money is on making the smaller patches to accommodate an actor's request.

Sam wears regulation clothing. pants, tops, boots. I think the only thing non-reg that she wore regularly was that damned tank top in s7 (i see male producers interjecting their 'input' in that wardrobe decision)

while Vala's costumes were -at best - approximate copies of regulation uniforms, usually tailored to fit her close.

Her hop hugger pants, her flare bottomed pants, her tight t-shirt, her close cut jacket (notice that sam's uniform jacket has decidedly larger sleeves...what you get when you're wearing something that's made to either fit males or be unisex in its fit.

Shanks once described Claudia as 'bony' (not one of his finer moments) however it does suggest that she's very skinny, and seems to prefer clothing to accentuate that, so her more closely tailored clothes.

the regulation patch that you see on sam's arm, 3-4 inches i think, literally would not fit on vala's sleeve, not without wrapping around it.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                            Because she's the most junior member and needs to earn the "big girl" patches?
                            <<chokes>>
                            sigpic
                            Mourning Sanctuary.
                            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Ya'll are way over analyzing this. The producers wanted Vala to be this sex symbol. Remember the tight leather from last season? The small patches, tight uniform, small pockets... It was to give Vala this cutesy look. That's all.

Comment

Working...
                              X