• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Day We Died (322)

Visit the Episode GuideFRINGE SEASON THREE
    THE DAY WE DIED
    EPISODE NUMBER - 322

Fifteen years into the future, Peter and Olivia call upon an imprisoned Walter for help in stopping a group of terrorists seeking to accelerate the end of days -- unaware of who is truly responsible.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by GateWorld; 20 June 2014, 12:24 PM.

... What a way to wrap up the 1st Act of FRINGE.

:: Things Learned ::

1.The Future that Peter saw was The Final Days of "The First People" meaning that the BBM was created in that time period by Walter, Astrid and Ella then sent backwards in time in segments to different locations along with txt of their history and The Parchments with Peter Bishop (+ the DNA used to create him) and Olivia Dunhams role.

2.Both world have to exist wiping out one results in an automatic death knell for the other, so Elis Island is now a meeting place where both sides will have to put their heads together to save each others Universes.

3.Both BBMs have been merged into ONE making Elis Island a zero point where Peter Bishop cannot exist within outside of Elis Island he can exist just not within at least thats my theory.

4.Adult Ella Dunham was hot
    5.We found out who the man is who was to kill Olivia it was Walternate.
    Last edited by hellrasinb; 06 May 2011, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hellrasinb View Post
      ... What a way to wrap up the 1st Act of FRINGE.
      Indeed!

1.The Future that Peter saw was The Final Days of "The First People" meaning that the BBM was created in that time period by Walter, Astrid and Ella then sent backwards in time in segments to different locations along with txt of their history and The Parchments with Peter Bishop (+ the DNA used to create him) and Olivia Dunhams role.
      Seems so! I can't help but wonder if there's more to it than that though. This being Fringe and all

2.Both world have to exist wiping out one results in an automatic death knell for the other, so Elis Island is now a meeting place where both sides will have to put their heads together to save each others Universes.

3.Both BBMs have been merged into ONE making Elis Island a zero point where Peter Bishop cannot exist within outside of Elis Island he can exist just not within at least thats my theory.
      Liberty Island, not Ellis Island

4.Adult Ella Dunham was hot
      Yup.... She was also in a couple of episodes of Boardwalk Empire.

5.We found out who the man is who was to kill Olivia it was Walternate.
      Of all things we found out in this episode, I don't think this point was quite so cut-and-dry. I don't have an alternate explanation, and I also wondered if this was the implication, but I'm hesitant to say "yes, it was."

Fan-freaking-tastic finale all around though, wasn't it? Freaky future, wild things going on there, some major story reveals, a huge twist at the end, and fresh credits at the beginning! I wonder if we'll continue to see this as red/blue, or if we'll be seeing the grey intro frequently in the future.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Throughout most of Season 1 of Fringe I had written it off as a 'serialised' show that, whilst filled the time, was not particularly interesting, especially amidst shows such as Dollhouse, Battlestar, Kings etc.

I started to pay attention in the episode where they found the 'pyro twins' and Olivia started switching universes. I got really interested after watching the Season 1 Finale.

Me and my girlfriend went on a 'weekend away' that was pretty average. Circumstances of this weekend away prettymuch resulted in us sitting in our room and watching episodes of Season 1 of Fringe again from the start. It was then I realised that this was far from a 'serialised' TV show, and had been planned out in intricate detail from Season 1. It was prettymuch like watching a brand new TV show, once we knew the revelations of the S1 finale.

The S3 Finale feels much like the S1 finale. I reckon that if someone goes and re-watches Fringe (perhaps not from the first episode, but perhaps the start of S2, definately S3) they will pick up on much more detail through the S2 and S3 episodes after the revelations of the S3 Finale.

.... Which, by the way, was great. I was doubting the quality of Fringe after the 'cartoon episode', and wasn't really liking it until Walter & Peter started describing the whole 'put the machine back in time' thing and Peter flashed back to the present. Absolutely astounding.

When does Fringe S4 start by the way?

Cheers

Aussie

Comment

This episode combined all my favourite things like parallel universes, time travel, wormholes, a cute future Ella and erasing folk from existence. That, and getting the two Walters and the Olivias in the same room together is always a recipe for John Noble to rock out and for threesome fantasies to abound respectively.

Rock on Fringe. My favourite non-cable show season this year. Like wow.
          ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

The thing I don't get is how did Walter still manage to destroy the other Universe if Peter never existed ? If peter never existed on both sides then Walter would have never crossed over

Comment

Originally posted by JackO'Neill View Post
              The thing I don't get is how did Walter still manage to destroy the other Universe if Peter never existed ? If peter never existed on both sides then Walter would have never crossed over
              This is obviously not conventional time travel in which he's been completely erased from history--the Observers played a part in bringing things to where they are, and used Peter for whatever their purpose is. I'm sure we'll see this play out more next season.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I wonder what happened to this

I'd forgotten that it said Emily, so when I saw older Ella I was really hoping the new character would be her. But then....nothing?

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post

I'd forgotten that it said Emily, so when I saw older Ella I was really hoping the new character would be her. But then....nothing?
                  Maybe the name was just a red herring? It sounds similar to 'Ella'. Casting an adult version of Olivia's niece would have been a major spoiler. In any case, if she's recurring does that mean that instead of moving between universes this season we'll move between timelines?

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the episode. I think I'll have myself a few rewatches before I even start commenting on anything.

sigpic
                  Check out my SGA and Fringe fanfics on fanfiction.net

Comment

Uhh, yeah, the 'new' character was always supposed to be older Ella, it's just that they wanted the fact she's future Ella, and thus the entire storyline, to be a surprise. It's a little funny the character they called Emily on the casting turned out to be played by an Emily, but it was always Ella. That's what makes me think she has a role next season, and that the future storyline where they become the First People might happen. We'll see.
                    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Am I the only one who felt really cheated by this episode? It didn't feel like a season ending cliff hanger to me. I've been trying to put my finger on what it was and I think i'm getting close.

It wasn't the big epic "This is the future" episode we were hoping for. It was more an introduction of a new universe, but setting it up as a permanent feature of the show. So more time was spent building up the lore of this world then on the story. We were expecting some big epic conclusion to the destruction of the 2 universes. Or I was at least. But then we get 20 minutes of just another episode, all the importance and urgency of the last 2 was lost in the opening 5 minutes.

I keep comparing it to the ending to Lost. Everytime it feels like the pace is picking up it drops off again. Then at the end it all happens so fast that you barely have a minute to take in what actually happened. This really needed to be 2 episodes, one setting it all up, the next giving us a run at the finish line ending to save both worlds. How does putting them all in the same room save both universes? How did Peter get the message, how did he know what to do? And why is the machine in both worlds.

Just a lot of questions that I know will get answered next season, but still. This episode just did not feel like the end of the season, it was too ... mystical. Exactly like the end of Lost.

Comment

I loved it, seriously, season 4 can not come soon enough! FRINGE is the best sci-fi show right now out there and I am really glad that there is a season 4, although it could work like a series finale as well (imo!), but where were Sam Weiss in this one? I hope he will be back in Season 4...
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie_86 View Post
                          Throughout most of Season 1 of Fringe I had written it off as a 'serialised' show that, whilst filled the time, was not particularly interesting, especially amidst shows such as Dollhouse, Battlestar, Kings etc.
                          First, I have to disagree with this. I've only attemped to watch the two shows I put in bold above. But Fringe blew those shows outta the water since day 1!

Now, on to the current episode. Excellent! I was surprised to see Olivia shot, but now we know who was supposed to shoot her. I just wonder how they'll bring Peter back. I'd heard that we're supposed to see more of the Observers in season 4. So, we'll have to see how they pull this off!
                          sigpic

Comment

Great stuff! For a sec there, I thought Peter had merged both universes like in that Sliders episode. Only Liberty Island, tho. Now, will Walter and Walternate put their differences aside and team up to save both their universes? What happened to Peter? Will we see adult Ella again, maybe in the distant past playing First People? Are the Observers First People remnants/instruments? Will Olivia and Altlivia pay me a visit? Is Terra Nova a Fringe spin-off?

So many questions Season 4, here we go!
                            sigpic

Comment

This is obviously not conventional time travel in which he's been completely erased from history--the Observers played a part in bringing things to where they are, and used Peter for whatever their purpose is. I'm sure we'll see this play out more next season.
                              We got a taste from S3 that the Wormholes can be stabelized again. So Peter probably United the Liberty Islands in order for the People to work together on both sides to get the Balance back between the Universes. Though I am getting a Headache thinking about how that could work. If Liberty Island is Bridged, then what happens to the People that leave it? Its not really in one or the other Universe anymore.

My big Question though is what happened to Peter? If he erased himself from Time, then none if this should have happened in the first place and neither was he in the Machine when it happened.

Originally posted by Esquin View Post
                              Am I the only one who felt really cheated by this episode? It didn't feel like a season ending cliff hanger to me. I've been trying to put my finger on what it was and I think i'm getting close.

It wasn't the big epic "This is the future" episode we were hoping for. It was more an introduction of a new universe, but setting it up as a permanent feature of the show. So more time was spent building up the lore of this world then on the story. We were expecting some big epic conclusion to the destruction of the 2 universes. Or I was at least. But then we get 20 minutes of just another episode, all the importance and urgency of the last 2 was lost in the opening 5 minutes.

I keep comparing it to the ending to Lost. Everytime it feels like the pace is picking up it drops off again. Then at the end it all happens so fast that you barely have a minute to take in what actually happened. This really needed to be 2 episodes, one setting it all up, the next giving us a run at the finish line ending to save both worlds. How does putting them all in the same room save both universes? How did Peter get the message, how did he know what to do? And why is the machine in both worlds.

Just a lot of questions that I know will get answered next season, but still. This episode just did not feel like the end of the season, it was too ... mystical. Exactly like the end of Lost.
                              I felt the same, but after all those great Episodes its hard to create a Finale that works. I was personally dissapointed that it took them about 30 Minutes to get to the interresting stuff, till that Minutemark I have only Questionmarks that make me ask why this Future is so important when it gets undone anyway.
                              Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                              Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
                              There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Working...
                              X