Rodney McKay/John Sheppard Slash/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ladies and Gentlemen

If you don't like the topic of a thread, don't read it.

both shippers and non-shippers are welcome here, and as such, there will be threads that simply do not appeal to other posters

The topic of this thread is Sheppard and McKay shippers. Unless you wish to discuss the relationship between Shep and McKay, then please leave this thread.

Gateworld rules prohibit insults and personal attacks...and there are comments in this thread that are just that.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Buddha
      For example, it'd be a fair bet that actual ROMANTIC McKay/Sheppard fans would not be heterosexuals.

Fair Ladies of Slash, please come and educate this one!!

Comment

On the subject, yes, I think I could easily see Rodney/Shep slash. I was a rather big Sam/Janet fan while that option was still available, though I honestly see lots of UST between Carson and Rodney.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          Ladies and Gentlemen

If you don't like the topic of a thread, don't read it.

both shippers and non-shippers are welcome here, and as such, there will be threads that simply do not appeal to other posters

The topic of this thread is Sheppard and McKay shippers. Unless you wish to discuss the relationship between Shep and McKay, then please leave this thread.

Gateworld rules prohibit insults and personal attacks...and there are comments in this thread that are just that.
          Sorry Skydiver, I shall edit my post...

Comment

I say, let the Sheppard/McKay slash begin! Whatever floats your boat!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
              On the subject, yes, I think I could easily see Rodney/Shep slash. I was a rather big Sam/Janet fan while that option was still available, though I honestly see lots of UST between Carson and Rodney.
              Hmm.. there is something there between Carson and Rodney. I'm just not sure what it is... could be slashy tho..

Comment

Originally posted by Melyanna
                Well, let's see. I'm a shipper. I am not a teenager. I am not an unhappy single woman. I am not a desperate married woman. So, there went your argument.
                Wasn't an argument, was a demographic speculation. That's a pretty easy difference for most critical thinkers. In such terms, any individual observation without replication is little better than a rumor. That's something most neophyte researchers learn early.

I'm GUESSING you aren't about that anyway, but instead you're determined to have your nose bent out of shape by a general speculation and wondering about the nature of shipperdom... and by far Stargate's surprises me the most... and to take it personally somehow. Three assurances down, and it still doesn't sink in. Might be another thing to note about some shippers, that they are a fiesty lot, but I don't know how far that generalizes!

As to your recommendations for my research, I'd noted the straight female fandom aspect (as far back as Kirk/Spock, in fact)... but in truth thought THAT might be over the top to bring up. Thanks for broaching the subject. If you'd care to fill me in on the whys and wherefores, now THAT would be interesting. Of course, I don't get the converse bit about guys liking female/female ships, so maybe I'm just dense on that topic.

In respect to the thread starter, why not use the particular proposed McKay/Sheppard ship as an example case... WITHOUT being obscene or defaming anybody!

What gives that people just want to see folks hook up to such a degree?

Sure, it seems more POSSIBLE than ideas involving Jack O'Neill and another guy... I get the definite feel that Jack would take the usual military attitude to such things. Sheppard is clearly an iconoclast, and McKay isn't the most macho guy in the world in a lot of ways.

But if Sheppard/McKay were to hook up, it would RUIN the buddy thing. They couldn't really go on missions anymore because their judgment would be compromised... and worst of all, Shep would be drummed out of his military position if it got out. So basically, it would screw up continuing stories, just like a Carter/Jack ship would.

So, I'm talking about that 'ship, and asking questions in that context.
                Last edited by Darth Buddha; 22 January 2005, 05:42 PM.

Comment

^^
                  I think this thread is for discussing the ship, and not necessarily questioning the nature of shipperdom in general...
                  sigpic

Comment

This thread is only to be used for discussing Shep/McKay ship. Please do not use this thread for generalisations about the nature of shippers, it's Off Topic.

Since this is a second moderator request, I think it's reasonable to say that if there's any more Off Topic stuff in this thread we'll just edit it out rather than let the thread get totally derailled...

Madeleine
                    GateWorld Moderator

Madeleine

Comment

But if Sheppard/McKay were to hook up, it would RUIN the buddy thing. They couldn't really go on missions anymore because their judgment would be compromised... and worst of all, Shep would be drummed out of his military position if it got out. So basically, it would screw up continuing stories, just like a Carter/Jack ship would.
                      as a shipper myself, I'm talking about my own experiences. however, it may sound generalised.

I've always hated the idea of anybody getting together in a movie or a show. i think it does ruin it.
                      however, shipping doesnt mean that you want them to be together necessarily. rather for me, when i ship, i love the interactions between the characters that points in that direction, but may not follow that path.

which is why i agree, shep/mckay ship on the actual show would be awful. however, in fandom, it seems to work.

ive read quite a few fan fics that use that pairing, and its not too jarring for the most part.

they seem good together, precisely because they're buddies. but you can interpret an undertone of that buddyness that suggests something more.

Comment

Originally posted by Jafana
                        however, shipping doesnt mean that you want them to be together necessarily. rather for me, when i ship, i love the interactions between the characters that points in that direction, but may not follow that path.
                        Thanks. I actually followed that. I guess that works with Sheppard/McKay whether you mean it romantically or buddies to a degree. They have fantastic potential.

I actually look forward to McKay and Sheppard becoming more of a Kirk-Spock due myself.... and it is sorta the same.

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                        Since this is a second moderator request, I think it's reasonable to say that if there's any more Off Topic stuff in this thread we'll just edit it out rather than let the thread get totally derailled...

Madeleine
                        GateWorld Moderator
                        Gee, Ms. Moderator, my last two posts HAVE been in terms of McKay/Shep. I'm glad at least Jafana picked up on that... and I sincerely hope my last post at least meets the litmus test.
                        Last edited by Darth Buddha; 23 January 2005, 03:24 AM.

Comment

Well I can see Shep-Mckay.

They play off each other so well! I just love the snark...I think it might be set to rival the Jack-Daniel relationship.

As for shipping in general, I tend to be in the Sam/Jack court, but that doesn't mean I don't see and enjoy other relationships too or read fics about other relationships. I love all the friendships and can be interested in reading a variety of ship/slash/gen fics.

Actually, I could generalise and say the only ship I like canonised (is that even a word?) is Sam/Jack, and prefer to keep all others in fanfic or video land only.

That includes Shep-Mckay - I mean come on, they're so cute! And I'm a sucker for seemingly antagonistic relationships that conceal much stronger feelings beneath (whether friendship or romantic).

So Shep-Mckay just makes sense!

Comment

Gee, Ms. Moderator, my last two posts HAVE been in terms of McKay/Shep. I'm glad at least Jafana picked up on that... and I sincerely hope my last post at least meets the litmus test.
                            so juhu and let's keep it that way shall we?

to all:
                            I love the Shep/MacKay relationship. Of course, I'm guessing that the writers have NO intention whatsoever of having a homosexual relationship on SGA, but we Lady Writers Of Slash can and will pick up the slack pretty well there.

I think that MacKay/Shep has even more potential than Jack/Daniel ship (and I prefer to use ship rather than slash, btw). They seem to be a little more friendly to each other at this stage of the show than Jack and Daniel were - and they have absolutely no way of knowing if they will ever return to earth. My guess is that you take your friendships where you find them, and if it develops into something else - well, the Lady Writers Of Slash will collapse in a collective *sigh* and die happy I guess.

I see this relationship as far more real and convincing that Shep/Weir, Shep/Teyla or Shep/anyone else in the Pegasus galaxy.
                            In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
                              to all:
                              I love the Shep/MacKay relationship. Of course, I'm guessing that the writers have NO intention whatsoever of having a homosexual relationship on SGA, but we Lady Writers Of Slash can and will pick up the slack pretty well there.
                              If they did, it would be...progressive to say the least. I mean the reality is 'slash' relationships haven't found their way into genre TV/literature yet. At least, not just as your everyday character. They usually seem to pop up in comedies (think funny sidekick, comic relief) or in dramas as the focus of a plot (lots of angst). But in scifi or fantasy - or anywhere really - with a same-sex relationship as a *part* of their character, rather than the definition of it, I have yet to see. But then Stargate is my main dose of sci fi.

But that's also why it works so well I think...because there are no pesky ptb pulling the strings, no expectations from the fans.

Of course, I doubt many people read or write fanfics in order to break down cultural norms and stereotypes...

I think that MacKay/Shep has even more potential than Jack/Daniel ship (and I prefer to use ship rather than slash, btw). They seem to be a little more friendly to each other at this stage of the show than Jack and Daniel were - and they have absolutely no way of knowing if they will ever return to earth. My guess is that you take your friendships where you find them, and if it develops into something else - well, the Lady Writers Of Slash will collapse in a collective *sigh* and die happy I guess.

I see this relationship as far more real and convincing that Shep/Weir, Shep/Teyla or Shep/anyone else in the Pegasus galaxy.
                              Totally agree!

One of the main reasons I see it is because I find the relationships with the females on Atlantis unconvincing (unlike on SG where I love the S/J dynamic). Don't get me wrong, the characters of Weir and Teyla have definitely grown on me, but I just don't see the same sparkage there as exists between the men. I'm not as intrigued by their friendships as I am with the guys (though the whole power dynamic between Weir and Shep is interesting).

Quite frankly, I'm surprised there seems to be so much more interest in Shep/Ford than there is in Shep/Mckay, given that Shep & Mckay have interacted a lot more on the show.

Then there is Mckay/Beckett and they seem to have an interesting relationship also. I'm a big fan of the doc

Comment

Hm

I really dont see it that much. They hate each other way to much it seems. I dont know why everyone does Shep/Weir, since she is married/dating or whatever. I know they are stuck and probablly would never see earth again but still. There is a high chance she could find a new ZPM in the whole city.

I see Shep/Emmagan though ^^, but maybe thats just me.

And as for Shep/Ford, I hate Ford and hope he dies =D
                                RADEK ZELENKA FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X