No announcement yet.

Rodney McKay/John Sheppard Slash/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Babylon 5 handled a homosexual relationship between two cast members quite well without allowing it to be the defining elements of either character. Just for the record, but they didn't get outright batent about it until the last episode for one of the pair. Still, the love, the affection, and the after effects were quite important to one of the main characters for quite some time.

I almost see McKay as being interested in Sheppard, but not having the nerve to say something about it. Let it be the thing that Rodney's a little nervous about approaching. It's funny, that's the same way I'd see Rodney's attraction to Elizabeth if I were to even grant any attraction there.

I rather like giving Rodney UST in general though. Resolving it rather kills the fun of torturing him.

Comment

Well on the matter of Shep/McKay - I don't generally like slash ( and prefer McKay/Weir pairing) but have read several good fics with this pairing that I liked.

I doubt it would be on the show anymore than people interpreting moments as more than friendship but it's certainly not much different from the McKay/Weir shippers seeing something there more than just friendship - so far there's not been anything concrete - just in fanfic but there's plenty of it out there.

Seems like the main ships (including slash) are Shep/Weir, Shep/Teyla, McKay/Weir and Mckay/Shep based on the amount of fanfic at least. so i'd say there must be reasonalbe amount of shippers for this pairing. Mckay/Beckett seems to be accumulating fics too lately.

Comment

Really? Can you post them lol
        RADEK ZELENKA FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Luneria
          McKay is obviously older(or shows it ), and he has a little gut( Dont get me wrong hes adorable but I am talking realistically ). Then there is handsome, rock hard Sheppie. I dont see the two ><
          Ah, but remember, to each his own. What you think is good looking or not doesn't mean I'd agree with you. And personality counts, too. I like McKay better than Sheppard, but it's close.

The bios for the characters have both Sheppard and McKay as between 35 and 40 years old. In real life (and I know that doesn't count for the characters, but just making a point to Luneria here), Flanigan is a year older than Hewlett.

Since the title of this thread is ship and not slash, I'm taking the ship = friendship view...

McKay and Sheppard are like Hope and Crosby or Martin and Lewis or... well, you get what I mean. The potential for great buddy stuff with both of their character strengths and weaknesses playing off each other. Joe himself mentioned in an interview that he and David had talked about doing a couple of road show episodes.

Both characters have a similar sense of humor as shown by their mutual delight in "Hide and Seek" by
          Spoiler:
          freaking out everyone in the control room by Sheppard tossing McKay off the balcony.
          We never did find out whose bright idea that was. Their ability to toss barbs back and forth on an equal basis shows that Sheppard's no slouch in the brains department when it comes to dealing with McKay. And we've seen McKay show as much bravery as we would expect from a military man. He hasn't had to make those kind of decisions before as a research scientist, and although it may take McKay a bit longer to make the move, he does what needs to be done in spite of his fears, and that's real bravery.

I think there's a great dynamic between McKay and Sheppard and I can't wait to see what the writers will think up for them.

I like the McKay and Beckett dynamic potential, too, but that's another topic!

(Good heavens, in the time it took me to write this, quite a few people have added their comments to the thread and made similiar points! Oh, well.)

My kind of guy:
          "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
          Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
          (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Dont get me wrong, I am not a McKay hater, in fact I love him, its just that , well its like Platinum to Silver, and I usually go for the silver guys cause the heroes are usually way to annoying. Shep isnt like that to me though. McKay is my favorite, but he limits himself to much.

and I guess I meany slash I just thought ship was for all =P

Oh and whats a road show ^^?

I cant see beckett cause ...hm... well maybe with McKay. Shep and him have not that much interaction

Comment

After watching "The Eye", I saw an awful lot of Shep/Weir ship. Sheppard didn't seem concerned about Teyla at all.

Now. . as for fan ship - the McKay/Sheppard ship sounds like fun, especially since they already snip at each other like a married couple.

Actually, a McKay, Beckett, Sheppard triangle sounds even more interesting. They are already the three most interesting characters, why not expand on it in fan fic? A bit of slash now and then can be, umm, interesting.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Who would be the prized?

Would it be Shep & Beckett for McKay? Shep cause they have their little flirty thing and Beckett because he sees compatibility since they are both geniuses.

McKay & Beckett for Shep,since they both want the 'hero'.

McKay & Shep for Beckett,since I am a big fan of accents myself

Or one of those annoying ones where Shep->McKay->Beckett->

Comment

Oh and whats a road show ^^?
                  Bob Hope and Bing Crosby (I don't have to explain these 2 men, do I?) made a series of movies in the 1940's and '50s. They had names like "Road to Morocco", "Road to Singapore" and "Road to Zanzibar". Always somewhere foreign and exotic. They were playboys, or cast aways or out of work performers. The two guys were usually on the run from someone. They would meet up with Dorothy Lamour somewhere on the trip. They'd have various misadventures and fight each other for Lamour's favor before the happy ending.

Hope was the loud one, bouncing off the walls and whining about everything. Usually he was the one who did something to get the pair, or at least himself, in trouble. Crosby was the steady one, the one with the street smarts, forever rescuing Hope. Singing and dancing was sprinkled in for good measure. Winking at the camera a must. These are classic comedy movies and that's where the concept of a "road show" story comes from.

Sound familiar?

My kind of guy:
                  "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                  Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
                  (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Really? Can you post them lol
                    Do you mean post the mckay/shep fics I was talking of? or were you talking to someone else, bit hard to tell.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                      After watching "The Eye", I saw an awful lot of Shep/Weir ship. Sheppard didn't seem concerned about Teyla at all.

Now. . as for fan ship - the McKay/Sheppard ship sounds like fun, especially since they already snip at each other like a married couple.

Actually, a McKay, Beckett, Sheppard triangle sounds even more interesting. They are already the three most interesting characters, why not expand on it in fan fic? A bit of slash now and then can be, umm, interesting.
                      Had the misfortune to watch Sanctuary last night. Boy was that lame...

*coughs*

Back on topic. This is such a slashy episode. Slashers could have so much fun with it.
                      Spoiler:
                      for why else would Mckay be flouncing about like a screaming queen for?

I just think Mckay is soooo goood, I'd hate to see him tied down in a ship with anyone, but I don't mind speculating and even making up stuff about who he's doin'

Comment

Meant the link

They bicker a lot but , maybe I just need to see what they mean -.-

Comment

Well, we did have a Jack/Thor thread :-)

As for the generalisations about shippers that have been made - not everyone who sees one pairing wants to see all pairings!

Technically, when a pairing is same sex it is referred to as Slash not Ship. It comes from the original slash pairing of Kirk/Spock. Named after the / in the middle so as not to be confused with other pairings.

I've never seen a slash pairing before really, but Sheppard and Mackay - oh yeah I can see that! And before people start jumping in, it is FUN. It isn't a 'oh my gosh they have to get together' kind of thing, because slashers never expect that in a show. It is more the fun of seeing the relationship. Slash fiction is also a great tool to use to explore male friendship - it doesn't have to be, er, R rated.

Going back to Shep and Rodney - did you not see the incredible hissy jealous fit Mckay threw in Sanctury? What fun that was! Those guys are sooooo doing it .

(please do keep in mind this is a PG rated forum, so please be circumspect when discussing male/male or female/female ship).
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy

I've never seen a slash pairing before really, but Sheppard and Mackay - oh yeah I can see that! And before people start jumping in, it is FUN. It isn't a 'oh my gosh they have to get together' kind of thing, because slashers never expect that in a show. It is more the fun of seeing the relationship. Slash fiction is also a great tool to use to explore male friendship - it doesn't have to be, er, R rated.
                            me too, I never see slash, but I COULD see this, and hey it's fun!

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy

As for the generalisations about shippers that have been made - not everyone who sees one pairing wants to see all pairings!

Technically, when a pairing is same sex it is referred to as Slash not Ship. It comes from the original slash pairing of Kirk/Spock. Named after the / in the middle so as not to be confused with other pairings.
                              AHA! I was right on it being called a 'slash'! Somone quote me! ::does a small jig::...Alright I'll stop....

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                              [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Oy, didnt see Sanctuary yet ( American )

and please dont dont spoil

Comment

Working...
                                X