Rodney McKay/John Sheppard Slash/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raelis View Post
    Frankly, Reliquary is then only book I know of that contains a lot of good McShep interaction. I know that a lot of SGA novels have terrible Rodney characterization. It's like their authors don't get the character at all (or never watcedh the show beyond a few season 1 episodes). I think you'd better stick with fanfic.
    Heh, cheers for that. Lol. You might be right. I'll buy Reliquary for my kindle, but might give the rest a miss unless someone can talk me into any others....

It drives me nuts when the novel authors get the characters all wrong. There was one SG1 book where Jack was nothing more than an abrasive, antagonistic PITA, pretty much the whole way through. It was so OOC and really annoying too; every time he spoke I was mentally telling him to shut up! I can understand that Rodney may be a little challenging to write, but seriously, if you're a published author who's watched the show it can't be that hard to get him at least somewhat right.

Comment

Originally posted by Sariele View Post
      Heh, cheers for that. Lol. You might be right. I'll buy Reliquary for my kindle, but might give the rest a miss unless someone can talk me into any others....

It drives me nuts when the novel authors get the characters all wrong. There was one SG1 book where Jack was nothing more than an abrasive, antagonistic PITA, pretty much the whole way through. It was so OOC and really annoying too; every time he spoke I was mentally telling him to shut up! I can understand that Rodney may be a little challenging to write, but seriously, if you're a published author who's watched the show it can't be that hard to get him at least somewhat right.
      Yeah, in some of those novels Rodney is written as abrasive, stubborn to the point of stupidity, callous, cowardly, and beyond selfish, with no positive qualities to speak of. He's characterized as a nuisance for the team whose only worth is in his scientific expertise. He has plenty of flaws, but those novels absurdly exaggerate them and deny him all of the character development that he got on the show. Give me fanfiction any day of the week.

Comment

Saw this vid today and it makes me all nostalgic:
        sigpic

Comment

I miss our boys.
          Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

Whooo congrats to McShep for coming in 3rd in the slash poll. yay.
            Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

Hi there

I’m completely new here in the forum and pretty new in the franchise as well. Unfortunately this thread doesn’t seem to be very active anymore, but maybe we can revive it?

I fell in love with Rodney right from the start and at least since season 2 I got very interested in McShep and enjoyed all their little scenes together throughout the series. So now that I’ve finished all five seasons, I’ve started to read a lot of fanfics. That’s probably the only advantage in joining a fandom very late: You’ve got tons of great fanfics to catch up on. Sadly there’s also a lot of crack stories, which I really don’t like at all. I’m generally also not a big fan of AU fics (with some exceptions). I prefer stories that take place in the known world of SGA and that have very good characterizations. And preferably they should be long ones. Still, there are so many good ones, that I’ll probably never finish reading them all. But I can well try.

What about you? Are you reading fanfiction? And if you do, what kind are you prefering?

I’m also curious, are you only interested in McShep, or are there other pairings on the show you ship simultaneously?

I’m looking forward to meet some fellow McShep fans here!

Comment

that was such a great clip, thanks, Lythisrose!

Comment

Hi Cil! I would gladly talk to you about McShep-themed fanfiction but isn't it off-topic here? I mean is it some other place to talk this stuff? (I should probably read more about forum rules )

Comment

Originally posted by Queen Guinevere View Post
                    Hi Cil! I would gladly talk to you about McShep-themed fanfiction but isn't it off-topic here? I mean is it some other place to talk this stuff? (I should probably read more about forum rules )
                    Hi!

Wow, I really was starting to think I'm the only McShep fan here, who's still active...

I have no idea if that's off topic. You know, I didn't really know what to write here, but I wanted to revive the thread. And since I mostly get my McShep fix through fanfictions these days, I started to write about that. Sorry if that happens to be off topic. Feel free to start an on-topic discussion about McShep. ;-)

Oh and you could also write me a PM about fanfiction, if you prefer that.

Comment

Hi Cil! I don't know if I can send you PM, since I am Probie-wan-Kenobi! I love me some fanfiction, too, but I enjoy AU as well. For me, John and Rodney can easily be laundry automates, if the characterizations are spot-on. 'Cause, you know, sometimes you read something close to canon and... do not recognize you favorite characters, right? I mean, what's the point then? I will rather go and torture myself by some "War and Peace" instead (not that it's difficult to read, but it's extremely annoying).

I enjoy other parings as well. I mean, mostly McShep, because it's the most 'real' and 'realistic' relationship we can see in whole the franchise, IMO, at least on the screen. But I like other stuff, too, if it can be explained to me. If it's believable and I can see the motivation behind the whole thing. For example - not Woolsey and Rodney, because I don't see it in cannon and I cannot fathom - why should they be interested in each other? And not Rodney and Katie Brown, except for "already in the full break-up mood". But Sheppard and Todd - no problem . Not Mitchell and Sam - because they are so breathtakingly sweet as "old friends, almost brother and sister". But maybe Mitchell and Sheppard? They have a lot in common, they obviously know each other, not to mention the level of hotness . Hey, maybe even Rodney and Mitchell can be OK, if it's well-written. After all, Cameron was like a real pig against Rodney in "Pegasus Project", may it's something there?.... hmmm...

AU Rodney definitely had a lot of chemistry with Sam..... etc etc.

I have to admit I haven't read the whole thread (hey, it's just 332 pages!) so I don't know if I really can start some sane discussion here. Everything was probably already discussed, twice. This is the disadvantage of coming to fandom too late

Comment

Have not posted on here in forever but thought Id drop by and post this new Mcshep vid I made. I Love Mcshep I always find it does not matter how many fandoms I go through I always end up coming back to SGA and Mcshep
                        sigpic

Comment

to be honest the music here is not my cup of tea but the video is great! How you guys always come up with something this hilarious I have no idea. Thank you for posting it!

i like McShep, too, but at the same time my feeling is that JF started to play this in 'McSheppy' way in later seasons, when TPTB threw away Elizabeth. I don't see that much slash-chemistry in the first seasons, beside of friendship; but after Elizabeth's disappearance it's all here - right in your face! ) Guess the actors were just bored by their on-screen celibate. I mean, OK, Rodney had his "girlfriends", but without any kind of chemistry, and John only had his hero-stuff and cringe-worthy ONSs. IMO

Comment

Looking for a quick beta of a 350 word ficlet. It's PG-13 and has a kiss, and that's it. And I've never written John/Rodney before, hence why it's only a quick kiss and 350 words long. My apologies.

But if anyone could help me out, that would be nice.

BETA FOUND
                            Last edited by Falcon Horus; 02 January 2016, 04:58 AM.
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

ok so the last post here was in 2015, so i want to revive this thread because i had just recently gotten back into Stargate after a brief hiatus(sherlock holmes consumed my life) and i watched a couple of old Mcshep videos and DAMN i still ship it like fedex. So, any one still out there? wanna have a chat?? I am going to try and get here on the regular

Spoiler:

MCSHEP FOREVER!!!!!!!!
                              Sheppard <3's Rodney! YAY! LOLS!
                              Happily floating in Mckay Heaven <3
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X