Rodney McKay/John Sheppard Slash/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rodney McKay/John Sheppard Slash/Discussion/Appreciation

Do they exist? I am fairly new to Gateworld, and the SG universe really, but are Sheppard/McKay Shippers really out there? I can maybe see Sheppard/Ford , but it doesn't make sense to me.

Personally, I am a Sheppard/Emmagan myself
    Last edited by Luneria; 23 January 2005, 05:16 PM.
    RADEK ZELENKA FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, you shippers want everyone together.
    This is crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by MasterPower
      This is crazy!
      LMAO.

I can't say that I'm a Sheppard/Mckay shipper myself but I've seen enough fan fictions to convince me that Sheppard/McKay Shippers do exist.

Comment

There are so many shipper threads.
        The only shipper thread I haven't seen is a Teal'c/Hammond one.
        But knowing how much you people need a certain couple to get together, I don't doubt that it won't show.

Comment

Relationship as in eventual best buds through mutual respect... because they are gonna face and defeat many, many challenges? Sure! Buddy 'ships beat love 'ships every day... they make more sense, they work better, and people don't get quite so stupid about them.

As in a slasher 'ship? I just don't see those two clicking that way.

Comment

There are so many shipper threads.
            The only shipper thread I haven't seen is a Teal'c/Hammond one.
            But knowing how much you people need a certain couple to get together, I don't doubt that it won't show.
            Hey, there isn't a Jack/Thor thread, and there is fic out there for that one

Comment

This is crazy!
              I'm with you.. lol. this is crazy

Comment

Only marginally more insane than every other ship thread...

The very setup of the stories of SG-1 and SG-A make almost ALL relationships verboten. The way the stories are told keep the hints of such forbidden feelings very understated.

AND YET LOOK AT THE NUMBER OF OBSESSVIE SHIP THREADS.

What this mean I'm not sure. An excess if teen fans? Most Scifi fans aren't in a relationship or aren't satisfied so they obsess elsewhere? Could be!

Comment

It is usually a very bad idea to cast assumptions about the motivations of other segments of the fan community just because you do not see or enjoy what they do. Please remember that everyone deserves respect, and not to have their social lives or ages questioned.

Comment

I'm not questioning anyone's PARTICULAR life, but rather speculatng about what elements generate such a strong aggregate demographic.

One must admit, the degree of obsession is of a very large order. If I could figure out how to do polls on this forum, I'd probably go after what the underlying differences are via that means.... rather than just make educated guesses.

I find your warning about "respect" to be suggest you find my general interest far more personalized than the actual fact of the matter.

Comment

No, you aren't questioning anyone in particular's life, but a large segment of the communities collective lives. That's still not particularly cool. I understand that you do not think that it is normal, but after twenty years in Science Fiction fandoms I can assure you that Stargate is no different than any other series in that fans will find romance where they want to in about the same proportions.

Comment

Yes, I've observed other science fiction fandoms as well. Some more or less sophisticated in their shippiness, some more or less obsessive. I've even posted polls regarding those very characteristics here and there, ergo the "educated" part of my educated guess.

Methinks I'll look toward posting such polls at some other SG-1 forums where I HAVE figured out how to do polls to firm that up. The age and gender questions, at least, are easily asked without anyone getting their back up at how not "cool" such observations and evaluation of same is or is not.

I'm asknig a question and speculating about reasons out of curiosity, not any ad hominem aspect. I do find your insistence on taking offense despite that assurance, however, rather interesting in and of itself... but that IS something that would be personal and impolite for me to speculate about. even if some of the things that first spring to mind aren't impolite.

Point of fact, I'd even be interested in hearing YOUR take on what characteristics are associated with specific shippers.... but I doubt you'd do that. So the question is, just how obvious does something have to be for you NOT to take offense. For example, it'd be a fair bet that actual ROMANTIC McKay/Sheppard fans would not be heterosexuals. As a non-homophobic straight guy, I can say that without the slightest bit of ad hominem intent (and if anybody wants to gay bash, I'll be the one crying UNCOOL qutie loudly)... but is that sort of informed, unbiased, and good faith observation ALSO uncool in and of itself?

How far do you ride that highhorse?
                        Last edited by Darth Buddha; 22 January 2005, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Buddha
                          Yes, I've observed other science fiction fandoms as well. Some more or less sophisticated in their shippiness, some more or less obsessive. I've even posted polls regarding those very characteristics here and there, ergo the "educated" part of my educated guess.

Methinks I'll look toward posting such polls at some other SG-1 forums where I HAVE figured out how to do polls to firm that up. The age and gender questions, at least, are easily asked without anyone getting their back up at how not "cool" such observations and evaluation of same is or is not.

I'm asknig a question and speculating about reasons out of curiosity, not any ad hominem aspect. I do find your insistence on taking offense despite that assurance, however, rather interesting in and of itself... but that IS something that would be personal and impolite for me to speculate about. even if some of the things that first spring to mind aren't impolite.

Point of fact, I'd even be interested in hearing YOUR take on what characteristics are associated with specific shippers.... but I doubt you'd do that. So the question is, just how obvious does something have to be for you NOT to take offense. For example, it'd be a fair bet that actual ROMANTIC McKay/Sheppard fans would not be heterosexuals. As a non-homophobic straight guy, I can say that without the slightest bit of ad hominem intent (and if anybody wants to gay bash, I'll be the one crying UNCOOL qutie loudly)... but is that sort of informed, unbiased, and good faith observation ALSO uncool in and of itself?

How far do you ride that highhorse?
                          Yawn.... who cares what makes shippers ship? And who cares if it's because they might have crap romantic lives or not...

I'm a shipper and proud of it!
                          Last edited by astronomicalchick; 22 January 2005, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Well, let's see. I'm a shipper. I am not a teenager. I am not an unhappy single woman. I am not a desperate married woman. So, there went your argument.

You cannot paint shippers with this broad stroke upon which you insist. We generally have more dissimilar about us than alike. Talk with shippers and you'll find men and women, high school students and post-doctorates, married and single, conservative and liberal all. We don't even all agree on how we would like the relationship in question to resolve, if at all. What we have in common is that a relationship intrigues us, and that is something quite extraordinary.

And it's something we like, just as nineteenth-century literature is something I like. Is there any greater reason you need? I think it's ridiculous to ask that we justify it any further, especially as we haven't asked you why you object to it. If it offends you, ignore it. You won't hear me objecting.

As for the majority of Sheppard/McKay fans not being heterosexuals, you would be well-advised to know that most slash writers and fans in the majority of fandoms are, in fact, heterosexual women. Do your research before you make broad statements like that.

Mel
                            Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
                            Last update: 14 April 2006
                            Melyanna's Multimedia
                            Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Luneria
                              Do they exist? I am fairly new to Gateworld, and the SG universe really, but are Sheppard/McKay Shippers really out there? I can maybe see Sheppard/Ford , but it doesn't make sense to me.

Personally, I am a Sheppard/Emmagan myself
                              yes, they do. They post fanfic on fanfiction.net. I'm not a slasher myself (same sex relationships tend to be called slash instead of ship), and I tend not to see slash, but I could see this one, if I squinted my eyes enough. I tend to ship myself (m/f relationships)

Comment

Working...
                              X