X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP Elizabeth Taylor, 1932-2011

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12833100

Might have to watch Cleopatra later...
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Sorry to hear that.
    no means no, and so does pepper spray
    Sig by The Carpenter
    sigpic

Comment

Sad news.
      sigpic

Comment

I read an article in which the reporter called her a "Star" and not a "Celebrity". I agree wholeheartedly. Talented, lovely, and classy--she had her share of missteps, but was a lady until the end. RIP Elizabeth!
        sigpic
        My Stories: FFdotNet
        My Stories AO3
        Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

This is really insensitive but I find myself not caring. She lived a full rich life and to be frank death is a near daily experence.
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            This is really insensitive but I find myself not caring. She lived a full rich life and to be frank death is a near daily experence.
            I guess the fact that she dedicate the latter part of her life to be a full time humanitarian raising millions of dollars won't change your mind. Despite her personal life and numerous marriages, the woman could act and I would pick her any day over what Hollywood defines as "talent" these days.

R.I.P
            sigpic

Comment

R.I.P. to a true star. They don't make stars like you anymore.
              sigpic

Comment

Not really, she was 79.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                  I guess the fact that she dedicate the latter part of her life to be a full time humanitarian raising millions of dollars won't change your mind. Despite her personal life and numerous marriages, the woman could act and I would pick her any day over what Hollywood defines as "talent" these days.

R.I.P
                  Not really. I never claimed or meant to imply that she was a bad person. I'm just not overly sad because lots of people die every day.
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

RIP, Elizabeth.

Comment

Not really. I never claimed or meant to imply that she was a bad person. I'm just not overly sad because lots of people die every day.
                      Not speaking as a Mod here ,but as myself .
                      Yes.People die every day.That's as obvious as stating that water is wet really.
                      Arguably we could care more about the "little" people instead of celebrities ,or care about the mass victims of disasters and war.

However,imo,when a well known celebrity dies ,even the ageing ones,people who appreciated their work or some facet of that person's life have a right to want to acknowledge that in some way ,which is why these RIP threads get created.

Perhaps one day you'll understand how they feel .If not ,that's fine.You don't need to justify yourself.

Elizabeth Taylor never pretended to be perfect ,but through her acting and fundraising reached out to a lot of people ,especially AIDS victims and their carers/families at a time when hysteria and paranoia was rife.

She suffered from ill health for many years ,and is finally free of the pain and other humans' judgement on her life and actions.

RIP to her.
                      She was quite a character !
                      The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

She made some great movies and did some great humanitarian work. She stepped up on the AIDS issue when most people were staying away from it. It's not like I've lost a family member, but it's always sad to see a good one go.

Comment

I adore watching her in Cleopatra.

she's old school hollywood, where you tried to avoid scandal rather than courting it for free publicity
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                            Not speaking as a Mod here ,but as myself .
                            Yes.People die every day.That's as obvious as stating that water is wet really.
                            Arguably we could care more about the "little" people instead of celebrities ,or care about the mass victims of disasters and war.

However,imo,when a well known celebrity dies ,even the ageing ones,people who appreciated their work or some facet of that person's life have a right to want to acknowledge that in some way ,which is why these RIP threads get created.

Perhaps one day you'll understand how they feel .If not ,that's fine.You don't need to justify yourself.

Elizabeth Taylor never pretended to be perfect ,but through her acting and fundraising reached out to a lot of people ,especially AIDS victims and their carers/families at a time when hysteria and paranoia was rife.

She suffered from ill health for many years ,and is finally free of the pain and other humans' judgement on her life and actions.

RIP to her.
                            She was quite a character !
                            I honestly don't know where you got the idea that I didn't understand why people mourn the lose of their favorite celebrity. I do understand that train of though. I am just not one of those people who feels sad a person died unless their was some kind of emotional and personal connection
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Sad news, the woman was a legend.

As for feeling sad, for me it is not so much that I am feeling sad this person is gone, I mean I sympathize with her family but for me she is just another name. However what is sad is that this icon is gone, a actor what I have grown up watching in films. People like Elizabeth Taylor becomes like living beacons in history, and it is always a bit sad when such a beacon go out.

Comment

Working...
                              X