No announcement yet.

Explain to me this: radioactivity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah, the old "duck-and-cover" method. isn't so bad after all. they reviewed the "nuclear preparation" thing last year. And released that in the chance of a nuclear threat, get to the innermost room of the building (i.e. most protected from outside walls) and get under a desk (because the more between you and the radiation the better!)
    Save Stargate Resistance and Stargate Worlds, keep a part of the franchise alive! and read our blog

Comment

Originally posted by SG-1-AU View Post
      Now, with all that said, I know how to read a Geiger counter and those levels WERE NOT lethal for the amount of TIME they were exposed, it was just added for dramatic effect. I also don't understand how the levels did not change all that significantly from the hallway till when you were standing right next to the device.

All in all, this episode was not very factual about radiation and as a nuclear engineer, it pisses me off to always see the public be so misinformed about radiation and dosage.
      Well.. after all, Wray is not a scientist

I didn't really see, was the Geiger counter at a certain level or was it at it's top where the arrow just couldn't go any further. They were exposed for quite a while though, an hour, maybe a couple or hours?

At Tsjernobyl they cleaned up the radioactive debry while wearing lead sheets and only being outside for 1 minute or so at a time before switching with another group. Most still died from radiation.

Comment

All in all, this episode was not very factual about radiation and as a nuclear engineer, it pisses me off to always see the public be so misinformed about radiation and dosage.
        Saying, "even though this geiger counter is going crazy, we're still relatively safe for the moment" just isn't as dramatic as saying, "oh my god we've been exposed, WE'RE GONNA DIE"

Comment

Na..

its

"Wezza gonna die!" (as a gungan runs up)

Comment

I'm a scientist (biologist) - science fiction constantly gets stuff wrong. They are so often just ridiculous with biology and medical facts and procedures (SG-1, SGA and SGU - all equally guilty) that I assume a lot of the other stuff is just as wrong.
            sigpic
            Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
              I'm a scientist (biologist) - science fiction constantly gets stuff wrong. They are so often just ridiculous with biology and medical facts and procedures (SG-1, SGA and SGU - all equally guilty) that I assume a lot of the other stuff is just as wrong.
              As Mckay would say:

".....but....Biologist"
              sigpic
              ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

It could also be that Nirti corrected the damage done by radiation on that episode with the ancient DNA device on the other episode. With regards to Jonas.

I much prefer the pew pew episodes versus the who's gong to diffuse the bomb(s) one. Rock, paper, scissors, you're the red shirt. But I don't wanna........

Comment

i'm not an expert of the stuff. (and i couldn't see the exact height of the radiation)

but given the history of naquahdriah, plus the relatively high exposure plus an unknown exposure time, walking out of there would NOT have been very good on the long run. this includes but isn't limited to various forms of cancer, genetic damage and paranoia and delusion.

the alternative at this point wasn't exactly... nice either. besides Wray is not a scientist, so the gamble was more or less good. not to mention that getting someone inside with enough protection to last, would be even harder, and more time consuming

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                    i'm not an expert of the stuff. (and i couldn't see the exact height of the radiation)

but given the history of naquahdriah, plus the relatively high exposure plus an unknown exposure time, walking out of there would NOT have been very good on the long run. this includes but isn't limited to various forms of cancer, genetic damage and paranoia and delusion.

the alternative at this point wasn't exactly... nice either. besides Wray is not a scientist, so the gamble was more or less good. not to mention that getting someone inside with enough protection to last, would be even harder, and more time consuming
                    Yep I agree.

Comment

Plus, as soon as they entered the crashed ship, that was a lethal exposure. And how is a geiger graded? Ex. 0 Bq to 1000 Bq or 0-10000000...?
                      sigpic
                      - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Originally posted by Wayston View Post
                        How come if you're in one hallway of a building you're good, and a couple hallways down the right you're instantly exposed to a lethal doses of radiation? Shouldn't it be a bit more gradual?
                        well they didn't find the gigercounter for quite a while so I assume that wray looked at the reading and extrapolated from the time they had spent - and she did say back in season one that she was "over qualified"
                        ----------------------------
                        You will never get to heaven with an Ak 47... But A Zu 30 is good for Low Flying Cherubim

Comment

True.. Plus who knows.. maybe as part of her IOA training/politician training, she received instructions for disaster preparedness.. which would include geiger counter reading!

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                            True.. Plus who knows.. maybe as part of her IOA training/politician training, she received instructions for disaster preparedness.. which would include geiger counter reading!
                            well I have suspicions that wray is more than she seems "Hr Girl" is quite a good cover for a spook
                            You will never get to heaven with an Ak 47... But A Zu 30 is good for Low Flying Cherubim

Comment

Oh... So maybe she works for the NID..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                                Oh... So maybe she works for the NID..
                                well that was my thought she could be working for any number of intelligence agencies I am sure SIS DSG, FSB and the CIA would have their operatives working both in an avowed and non avowved basis.

Comment

Working...
                                X